Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,260 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job in Tallahassee and everything sounds great, except I've read some things that make me apprehensive about moving. I currently live in a Missouri college town, and overall I don't mind it, but I'm 27 and single so I feel like another college town may not be the best place for me to move. Is it a place that seems to have plenty of young professionals? - Late twenties, early thirties?

Also, I'm super worried about being able to afford to live there. My salary is going to be approximately $29,000 - before deductions of course. I've looked at rentals on Craigslist and it seems like I could possibly find a studio or one bedroom apartment for $550 which I think would be fine, but I've read that utilities can be outrageous! How true is this? I'm really good about making sure I don't leave lights on or things plugged in that aren't use regularly - but I worry about heating and cooling. Can anyone shed some light on a normal utility bill for a small apartment?

Also, what is there to do there besides college sports games and bars? I don't do a whole lot here and I think I'll be working evenings so it won't matter a whole lot, but where I live now has tons of festivals during the summer and several places for live music, which I really enjoy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 PM

23 posts, read 33,583 times
Hello 21pilots,

I am in the same boat as you, moving to Tally March 1st from upstate NY. 30 years old, single, under $30,000 /yr salary. I have the same concerns so sorry this post won't give you any answers. I know I will be paying $799 a month rent though plus utilities so I will be on an even tighter budget than you if you land a place for around $550. I have been doing some research though on things to do in Tally and it seems that they have some special events every now and then and great outdoors stuff like parks and hiking which it what I like.

Anyway sorry couldn't be more helpful but maybe someone else here will shine some light.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:29 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
I think you would be just fine here because it has all the essentials you need to live so no need to travel long distances.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 PM

49 posts, read 68,862 times
There are many college students (not so much young professionals) in Tallahassee as the city seems to be built around FSU. It is very much a college town with two major universities, FAMU being the lesser of the two. That rent price seems about right although I paid higher than that $675 (with furniture) to live close to campus. In a newer building rent for a 1 bedroom or studio can easily exceed $1,000, especially around FSU. Older buildings may have problems with roaches and rodents, service issues like plumbing. Utilities will probably be around $50-$75 higher in the summer months (it gets very hot) and winter months (it can get quite cold with days where the overnight lows are in the 30s or 20s).

Football games are a huge aspect of living in Tallahassee being that it's FSU. There are also many bars. Aside from that, there are parks away from the downtown area and there area events within the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: