Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 PM

23 posts, read 33,569 times

Advertisements

So I have been searching and applying, searching and applying for different types of jobs for the past 3 months hoping to land a job before my move in date of March 1st. I haven't heard anything from anyone after over 50 something applications sent out. Really? I got a BS degree and have applied to jobs from schools to resturants. I figured since I am applying from out of state it would be more challenging but I figured with those numbers I would have at least heard something. After graduating from college in upstate NY 2 years ago I sent out a lot of applications too but I heard a good amount of initial feedback. I guess my question is, is there an abundance of unemployment in Tally where there is too many applicants per job opening. I know some areas are a lot tougher and have many qualified people looking for work in a small job market. Does this describe Tallahassee? I know Tally is not a big area so I am thinking this might be the case. Or my cover letters just really suck :shrug:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 11:04 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
The thing about Tally is that its a college town but also the capital of Florida so some positions are probably taken or just too many candidates to choose from. What type of field are you in ? Low wage service jobs are going to be taken by all the students which makes it hard for outsiders to look for employment. Government jobs are most likely the more abundant type so maybe look for something in that.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 PM

I am in IT and have been working for a college up here for 2 years so I figured it would be good/easier just to work for a college down there. Reached out to them all, granted many of the applications are still pending so I might still here something. But I applied for outside of IT type jobs as well, for 2 reasons really one I am just kind of tired of the IT field and two any job with half way decent pay to get me in Florida would be ok. Want to ho back for my master's at FSU once I get all settled. Thanks for the reply btw

Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,864 times
Another cause could be that state govt jobs often give preference to people already within state govt. Unless you have connections, it may be difficult to break in at an intermediate level (e.g., perhaps could enter at a basic IT level, but anything above a basic level could be going to those already within govt).

Also, state agencies are required to advertise positions for a certain length of time, even if the employer already knows that the job will likely go to a certain person within the agency (or another state agency). It can be a charade, in other words - they advertise a position that is already slotted for a current employee promotion, and it remains open for "x" weeks/months until it is officially filled.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Yes JAS, this is so true. Most jobs posted are a charade and are just posted as a requirement, wasting people time filling out applications for nothing is truly what it is. I was planning on being in a place by March 1st but if I haven't landed a job yet I don't know what I am going to do. On one hand I got some money saved and could just get that tallahassee address and hope that helps with the search but on the other hand not having a job worries me, potential backfire is a risk I am not sure I want to take. I coming to tallahassee a week from tomorrow for a few days so I am going to try dome on site searching. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
A few years back I tried to find a job in Tally after a longer and successful career around the country - was willing to take a pay cut to move there since we liked the area. Tallahassee is one of those places where I got the distinct sense that it is a "good ole boy club" and that nepotism rules. Cannot prove it but I NEVER got a call back to any of the positions I applied to, and trust me, I was qualified...

Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 AM

^ I can certainly believe it, over 50 applications and not a peep for me...very discouraging.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:51 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Florida is tough for many job seekers and I would say in most any field. I know from family and friends who are scattered throughout the state. For IT jobs in Florida, Miami or Jacksonville have better opportunities overall. Outside of those areas, not so much. I have a friend who found a job in Tampa a few years ago after living in Jacksonville. She said she felt lucky to get her foot in the door at a large company doing IT work (after about 8 years experience).

Tally is a typical good-sized college town (plus state capital), you have loads of competition for most any position there, IT or not.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:15 PM

Thanks maus,

I am thinking of a different area all together. Like you said their is just too much competition. I spent last week in Tally and it seemed like a lovely town, people were very friendly, FSU was a beautiful school but the job market is going to hold me back.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 PM

8 posts, read 14,409 times
Sorry you discovered the dark side of this "pretty on the outside" town. You assumed that a college degree would get you considered for a position when in truth what people care most about here is where you went to high school. My experience here has been that they do whatever they can to keep outsides out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee