Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:01 PM

343 posts, read 1,041,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Florida has all the same problems but with even less progress and opportunities. People aren't depressed, unemployed, on drugs, heavy drinkers, cons, criminals, illegals, etc. in Florida? I wish. If the weather wasn't warm here there would be nobody living here. That is the only draw that mesmerizes people into false hope.
I agree. As a Portland native, I find that generally it's the Californians and others who move to the Pacific Northwest that gripe about the weather. Even then, I don't understand it. Northern Oregon/Washington/Idaho has arguably the nicest weather in the country. If you can't deal with a few months of rain during the winter, and then reap the benefits of beautiful, mild weather for the rest of the year, I can't help ya.

As far as the complaints about homeless...they are everywhere, in any major city. You can't simply look at Pioneer Square, MLK, and Burnside, and think that the entire area is like that. I guarantee you will find a lot more of them in Florida where the weather is warm year round then you will in the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:37 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,116,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
I agree. As a Portland native, I find that generally it's the Californians and others who move to the Pacific Northwest that gripe about the weather. Even then, I don't understand it. Northern Oregon/Washington/Idaho has arguably the nicest weather in the country. If you can't deal with a few months of rain during the winter, and then reap the benefits of beautiful, mild weather for the rest of the year, I can't help ya.

As far as the complaints about homeless...they are everywhere, in any major city. You can't simply look at Pioneer Square, MLK, and Burnside, and think that the entire area is like that. I guarantee you will find a lot more of them in Florida where the weather is warm year round then you will in the Pacific Northwest.
The mild weather is nice for some, but there is very little sun even when there is no rain. The summers are absolutely perfect though.

The I-5 corridor is the worst in the U.S. for homeless, from San Diego to Seattle. I think Seattle, LA, and SF have the most homeless but Portland has plenty. These states have weather that is much more tolerable than Florida's. I would have to see recent statistics to believe Florida has more. I believe they have dramatically less because the Florida heat is not the most tolerable with no AC or shelter. Some of the coastal cities may be a little more tolerable.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:12 PM

57 posts, read 846,997 times
As a law enforcement officer in Tallahassee, I have to say that the city and county is very safe. I have worked in south Florida previously, and it is nothing compared to the problems down here. Most average citizens think that the only crime that occurs, is what you see on TV. Little do they know that shootings, robberies, and burglaries happen on an everyday basis.

The crime rate in Tallahasse is often skewed due to several reasons. We have a very large population of young people, who partake in activities that involve them becoming victims in crimes. These crimes are all documented, but yet the students are not considered to be part of the Tallahassee population.

Overall, the city has several areas that are rough. Frenchtown has its on-going problems, and everything on the west side of town near campus. The south side is getting better, but there are problem spots there as well. Just remember, a huge amount of crime is a result of drugs. Most crimes are comitted by people they know, and rarely is an innocent random person a victim of a violent crime.

The city is very safe, and I feel very comfortable raising my family here, knowing what goes on!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
As a law enforcement officer in Tallahassee, I have to say that the city and county is very safe. I have worked in south Florida previously, and it is nothing compared to the problems down here. Most average citizens think that the only crime that occurs, is what you see on TV. Little do they know that shootings, robberies, and burglaries happen on an everyday basis.

The crime rate in Tallahasse is often skewed due to several reasons. We have a very large population of young people, who partake in activities that involve them becoming victims in crimes. These crimes are all documented, but yet the students are not considered to be part of the Tallahassee population.

Overall, the city has several areas that are rough. Frenchtown has its on-going problems, and everything on the west side of town near campus. The south side is getting better, but there are problem spots there as well. Just remember, a huge amount of crime is a result of drugs. Most crimes are comitted by people they know, and rarely is an innocent random person a victim of a violent crime.

The city is very safe, and I feel very comfortable raising my family here, knowing what goes on!

And let me say that I think local law enforcement generally does a great job here.

Speaking of Frenchtown, have you been here long enough to remember "Clara"? She was the legless, homeless woman that hung around what used to be the Hardees (now the Loop) on Tennessee street. She used to roll herself around on a little cart.

Evidently one of her nocturnal activities was to roll her cart in front of cars at stoplights in Frenchtown, and her friends would then rob the passengers.

Did King Love ever spit on you? LOL? I miss that guy...

Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 AM

57 posts, read 846,997 times
HAHAHA....Clara good memories. To my knowledge that is only a myth. Nevever met this spitting guy you speak of.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
HAHAHA....Clara good memories. To my knowledge that is only a myth. Nevever met this spitting guy you speak of.

I actually saw Clara while she was still alive - the robbery stuff may just be a rumor, but apparently it was happening on Virginia street.

King Love was a local crazy guy that "lived" more or less in the vicinity of Poor Paul's and Bullwinkles. He dressed up like a king and went around blessing people, etc. Bought him a beer once or twice. Apparently he was a physician of some kind that went crazy and eventually became homeless, though I heard rumors that he did actually have a little apartment somewhere nearby. At some point he got into an argument with TPD and was arrested for spitting on a cop.

He was one of those local Tallahassee eccentrics...like the guy that used to go jogging around campus in a Superman outfit, or that weirdo I always see downtown riding that two-wheeled scooter thing.

account: the king love story

http://frankhaines.blogspot.com/2006/11/king-love.html

Last edited by Strel; 05-20-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee