Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:22 PM

121 posts, read 340,549 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

1. How big will Tallahassee eventually get? I believe it may be growing at a relatively slow pace now. Will it get to be 500,000 metro someday?

2. Where to Tallahassians (if that's the correct name for residents) go for summer weekends if they want to get out? Do most people go to a lake with their boats, or down to the gulf? Is there a lake that is most popular?

3. What is the most charming town (in your opinion) within an approx. 2 hour drive from Tally? Thomasville and Bainbridge look very nice.

Thank You all for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 AM

815 posts, read 969,613 times
I have no idea how big Tallahassee will get.

I think most people go to the gulf, St George island, etc.

Thomasville is delightful, especially the downtown area. There is really nothing special about Bainbridge.

I love living in north Florida

Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Most people go to St George island, for the beach, or north Georgia for the mountains.

Lake talquin is large and nearby. Lake Seminole is about an hour away.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,033,281 times
Ditto what Molly said.

Metro population per google search is currently at 382k. They city generally has slow, steady growth since it doesn't have a boom/bust economy. 2% annual growth would bring it to 500k in about 15 years. So let's say 15-20 years.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM
JAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Valachi View Post
You might as well live in south Alabama or south Georgia. Tallahassee is no where indicative of "Florida" even though it's the capital. Tallahassee also is a democratic party island...read about the former mayor Gillum before moving there.
Since you are apparently an expert on Florida history, how do you define "Florida"?

Old 03-09-2019, 10:16 AM

68 posts, read 102,741 times
I'll take a crack at this^

Tally is nothing like the rest of booming Florida in heavily diverse cultural histories or even what's going on now. Tally is more truly USA southern than diverse areas such as Tampa Bay, Orlando, Miami FTLD, Boca, Manatee-Sarasota, Naples, and of course Key West. it has not much similarity even with Jacksonville these days.

People make cities click not geography of course. Tampa for example only has a long rich history of large Cuban and Italian families. Miami is heavily immersed in Caribbean, Cuban, Spanish, and South American cultures. Boca is immersed in NYC and Jew cultures. Most of the east coast of FL, i.e. SE coast is culturally NEW corridor, not the traditional southn. Manatee Sarasota is primarily mid-America anglo culture mixed with Canadian influences. Jacksonville is a split between south Georgia flavors and all-over military (just like Pensacola). The Panhandle is still considered the redneck riviera no matter what they say.

Tally is over run with bureaucrats, and lobbyists, and good ole boys - again nothing like booming diverse Orlando metro with its ever-changing cultural and population shifts due to Disney over the decades.

Tally is:

Tallahassee Demographics
  • White: 57.4% (non-Hispanic: 53.3%)
  • Black or African-American: 35.0%
  • Asian: 3.7%
  • Native American or Alaska Native: 0.2%
  • Pacific Islander: 0.1%
  • Two or more races: 2.3%
  • Other race: 1.3%
  • Hispanic or Latino of any race: 6.3%

So...Tally is essentially a BLACK and white town....not very diverse at ALL when fairly compared to other areas of Florida. That's not necessarily a bad thing OR a good thing.

Having now a Black population approaching (now) 38% makes the city trend largely Democratic Party. If you need or like that kind of breakdown, Tally is your kind of city. And Tally even had a black mayor, Mr. Gillum - a total leftist.

To each his own, but Tally is hardly an average Florida big city or a good example of a Florida city. It's also land-locked, unlike Tampa Bay, Manatee Sarasota, Venice Naples, Northport, Port Charlotte,Ft. Myers, Key West, Miami, FTLD, Boca, Jupiter, Jacksonville, Clearwater, St. Pete, Pompano, Cocoa, etc etc

Tally is Tally, and that's about it.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:47 AM
JAS

So Tallahassee is different from other FL cities ... but all the other FL cities you mentioned are also different from each other. So thank you for stating that there is no singular definition of "Florida". Miami is different from Orlando, which is different from Key West, which is different from Jacksonville, etc.

By the way, Gillum barely defeated Graham in the Democratic primary in Leon County, and he also won in Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, Orange, Hillsborough, and Duval ... the big FL locations you mentioned. He appears to be a crooked politician, but the TLH city corruption pales in comparison to the corruption and fraud that has been rampant in south FL since government was created down there.

Tallahassee is an old city by Florida standards. It was even a central location among the indigenous people that inhabited the area long before white dudes showed up. Perhaps the only thing in common that all Florida locations have is that the state was occupied by the Spanish long before other Europeans. Even in little old Tallahassee (https://www.missionsanluis.org/)

Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 AM

68 posts, read 102,741 times
Fun fact:

Tally was perceived to be so socio-culturally "behind" that the governor's wife (Jeb Bush) refused to physically move there in the Governor's Mansion, full time. She remained in South Florida all the time during Bush's term.

Tally might be the "capital" and center of technical governance, but it's no where close to being a microcosm of the State of Florida. This is dramatically different than say Nashville is to TN (or Memphis), or Montgomery is to AL, Jackson is to MS, Baton Rouge is to LA, Raleigh is to NC, Atlanta is to GA, or Austin is to TX, or even Columbia is to SC.
That's the whole point - Tally ain't much "Florida" by regional comparison of the majority of other "capitals". And that's just a hard cold FACT.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:11 AM

105 posts, read 352,085 times
[quote=Rialta;54417217]Hello there!

1. How big will Tallahassee eventually get? I believe it may be growing at a relatively slow pace now. Will it get to be 500,000 metro someday?

I lived in Tallahassee from 2009 to 2011. The area is growing, but the locals are very concerned about the environment so you probably won't see many developments where all the trees get down or where a huge factory gets built and puts out lots and lots of pollution. 500,000 will take awhile.

2. Where to Tallahassians (if that's the correct name for residents) go for summer weekends if they want to get out? Do most people go to a lake with their boats, or down to the gulf? Is there a lake that is most popular?

We loved driving all over the region from Panama City to Steinhatchee and up into south Georgia. We used to visit St. Marks NWR about once a week. It truly is a treasure and it's a place where you can see all the critters in Florida from the safety of your car. I know some areas were really devastated by recent hurricanes (Port St. Joe) and it saddens me.

3. What is the most charming town (in your opinion) within an approx. 2 hour drive from Tally? Thomasville and Bainbridge look very nice.

Appalachicola was very nice when we were in the area and hopefully it is recovering from the hurricane damage. Bainbridge had one of the nicest town squares in all of Georgia for sure.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:32 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,174,291 times
The fact that Tallahassee isn't like the rest of Florida is what is attracting me. I still get the benefits as a military widow but I also get a change of seasons and trees other than palm trees. I'm assuming (I could be wrong) that Tallahassee doesn't have the large influx of snowbirds like southern Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee