Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2021, 09:08 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times

Advertisements

I moved away from Tallahassee in 2009, but absolutely loved my time there. I lived there both as a college student at FSU and as a working adult starting a family. I would have been perfectly happy to stay there the rest of my life, but work opportunity took me elsewhere.

I remember Tallahassee as a peaceful and friendly community. I've gone back to visit many times since I moved away and always enjoy it.

I had no idea anything had changed over the past 12 years or so, but apparently violent crime has gone out of control

What on earth happened? I'm seeing old news headlines talking about Leon County being worst in the entire state for violent crime every year from 2014-2019!

When I first moved to Tallahassee from Daytona Beach, I remember checking out crime stats and comparing the two cities. Daytona was significantly worse than Tallahassee in terms of violent crime. Not so anymore.

Are there any explanations for this dramatic change? Is there a different vibe than there was a decade ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 11:18 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
No,

Crime centers around the states poorest census tracts, which one is located in Tallahassee.

The issue of poverty is complex and often people in poor circumstances turn to crime/drugs/violence to make ends meet. That and gangs etc are some of the examples set around their neighborhoods, etc.

Most of Tallahassee in the nicer areas there is nothing to worry about. I wouldn't want to go to these areas of any city and hangout though.

Case in point- Overall Atlanta is a nice place, but their southside is plagued with crime and poverty.

Jacksonville - Generally a nice place, Their north west side is crime ridden and poverty stricken.

There is nothing alarming about Tallahassee that you have uncovered specifically. Cities have problems, especially surrounding poverty and the cycle of poverty and how to get the residents jobs and out of the cycle.

Its a complex issue, one that even with much support from non-profits, and agencies, has yet to be solved.

Tallahassee on its whole is a very great and peaceful place to live, if you can avoid the poorest neighborhoods.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 8,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
No,

Crime centers around the states poorest census tracts, which one is located in Tallahassee.

The issue of poverty is complex and often people in poor circumstances turn to crime/drugs/violence to make ends meet. That and gangs etc are some of the examples set around their neighborhoods, etc.

Most of Tallahassee in the nicer areas there is nothing to worry about. I wouldn't want to go to these areas of any city and hangout though.

Tallahassee on its whole is a very great and peaceful place to live, if you can avoid the poorest neighborhoods.
I can not DM at this point, but if you see the Miami forum, someone has posted a Neighborhood-O-Meter map there. I am certainly against red-lining, but I think combining publicly available data is a good idea.

It can help folks to realize that their neighborhood is going down. Hopefully, they wake up and do something.

Given that perspective, do you mind telling which are the good neighborhoods to stick to for outsiders.

I currently live in a northern state. Prices are high ;-) everywhere and no signs of coming down. Even if they come down, it will affect both - my current and future. So, right now, I am only learning.

I am interested in a condo - walkable neighborhood (Tally downtown seems great for that based on your other thread), preferably block construction to avoid fungus/mold issues as the house may be vacant for sometime, preferably I can rent out short/long term and stay permanently as well, doesn't have to be close to work place because I will mostly WFH, access to gym and medical facilities nearby is good.

Kindly don't limit your good neighborhood suggestions to just my criteria. Thank you for your insights.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:47 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Great neighborhoods/areas of Tally

Killearn/Killearn Lakes Anything in North East Tally is a great bet.

Buck Lake/Mahan Drive (anything out this way is pretty good as well)

Centerville rd / Miccosukee Rd outside of capital circle.

Midtown- This includes Lafayette Park/betton hills/waverly hills/ etc the whole area.

Southwood/indianhead/myers park/woodland drives- Good centrally located areas. Southwood is like 5 minutes from downtown.

Generally what we tell most people is (Northeast, East, Midtown, southwood).

This isn't exclusive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee