U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2007, 03:06 PM

69 posts, read 204,207 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can anyone tell me about this area? We are thinking of relocating and this is an area we are considering. We heard that Wakulla county is less expensive and someone told me Monticello is a nice town. I'm also interested in dog activities such as retrieving, obedience, etc. Are the gators and fireants much of a problem? Thanks for any insight!

Kate
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 PM

33 posts, read 335,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maliretriever View Post
Hi,
Can anyone tell me about this area? We are thinking of relocating and this is an area we are considering. We heard that Wakulla county is less expensive and someone told me Monticello is a nice town. I'm also interested in dog activities such as retrieving, obedience, etc. Are the gators and fireants much of a problem? Thanks for any insight!

Kate
Yes, fireants are a big problem here, and gators are around maybe in your yard at times, and lizard will enter your home like guests, snakes. The terrain here has more hills, but its a combine of GA/AL, mostly florida terrain even in GA/AL, it's pretty much FLa terrain. Wakulla is less expensive, I would suggest you look into the Wakulla country area Crawfordville/Wakulla, or St.Marks. Monticello is west of Tallahassee and more of a tourist stop, getting there is easy;but the county has just add lines to Crawfordville HWy to Wakulla now. We get hurricanes to, and Tornados, lighting is strong, lots of flooding.
Activities for dogs are, you can take your dog to Lake Ella, and the city has alot of events from Family, musical, Arts, Shopping, Historical Sites and activities, Zoo, state parks, springs,Springtime Tallahassee, lakes, swamps, for events.
It's a good place to stay if you live in the surrounding areas, away from the colleges it's three major colleges here, and two major shopping malls. O' it's a football team coming here soon as well something else to do. Ga/Al have things going on as well, and central FLa is not that far, the beaches are 30-50 mins away; but Apalachicola/St.Marks is close by and have beaches. It's just a lot of hidden places here, the forgotten coast. Panama City, Fort Walton, etc. Thats the run down there, I think.
on here are a few links to websites
http://www.floridastateparks.org/wakullasprings/
http://www.seetallahassee.com/leoncountytdc/default.asp (broken link)
tallahassee.com
http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].net/city/monticello-fl

Tour
Tally Gator yep they are here to.

Wakulla Springs

Tallahassee

http://i13.tinypic.com/313ks2b.jpg (broken link)
Panama City

St.Marks
http://i16.tinypic.com/33b20c2.jpg (broken link)
Apalachicola
http://i10.tinypic.com/315g7j4.jpg (broken link)
Cane Frances the eye right over Tally

Sinkhole at Lake Jackson Tally

Old 01-13-2007, 04:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,100,513 times
Checking in from Port St Joe (between Tally and Panama City.)
FWIW
The only gators I've seen were at the St Vincent's Refuge.
I did get one fireant bite.
Beaches here are dog friendly. Wakulla looks like a nice place, I've just passed through though.
Crawfordville seems like an up and coming area.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM

Some of my family members stay in Crawfordville and I have stayed there to, they have a new Super Wal Mart out there; Crawfordville, St.Marks, Wakulla, Apalachicola have gators around if you stay in this area you will more than likely see one just a warning. It's a few National Forest in the area. Monticello is about 45to an hour from Tallahassee. Crawfordville is about 20-15mins from Tally. In the Monticello area close by are Live Oak, and Lake City.
Gator St.Mark

http://i12.tinypic.com/34pc0hu.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-13-2007, 06:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,054,273 times
Swim with caution????? I don't understand how you jump in a lake with gators and swim with caution. The sign should really say, "Don't Swim~Gators in Lake.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Swim with caution????? I don't understand how you jump in a lake with gators and swim with caution. The sign should really say, "Don't Swim~Gators in Lake.
Yea I know lol, just keep on walking by and don't swim like you don't see the sign lol.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 PM

10 posts, read 47,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maliretriever View Post
Hi,

Kate
I live in Crawforville(about 15min outside of tallahssee-wakulla)dont worry about the gators their not a problem-crawfordville is a good place to live b/c its not very far from downtown + theirs also many things in crawfordville like a Walmart,many resterants,Public library and Clothing sotes + its growing non-stop

Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 AM
TD*

1,600 posts, read 3,436,122 times
Tallahassee is a great place to live. Yes, you heard right, land and housing is cheaper in Wakulla County. Tallahassee has a great quality of life, and is a beautiful city.

You will love it.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,125 times
I live in Tallahassee. We looked at houses in Crawfordville and surrounding areas. Honestly, I prefer Tallahassee over them. There are more stores and things to do. Crawfordville seemed really small and there wasn't much to do there. Aligators...they are around. There is a holding pond just off I-10, and I've seen gators there. In terms of pet friendly, they do have classes and a dog park. I want to take my 2 labs swimming, but I'm still searching for a place to do that.
Does anyone know where I can take my dogs swimming?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 AM
TD*

1,600 posts, read 3,436,122 times
The lake at tom brown park people let their dogs swim in it all the time, but I wouldn't let them venture to far from shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee