U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM

272 posts, read 435,955 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations on safe family-oriented areas to live within Tallahassee? My wife and I and our two small children are interested in purchasing a new construction single family home.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 PM

740 posts, read 1,333,264 times
Killearn area north of I-10 off of Thomasville Road
Betton Hills area midtown off of Thomasville Road (though probably not much NEW construction)
Southwood (SE Capital Circle)

Old 03-15-2009, 12:41 AM
TD*

1,085 posts, read 1,628,339 times
Pretty much most of Tallahassee is safe... you will know by driving through a neighborhood if you feel unsafe.

Its a great friendly city, and great place to raise kids.

Come and join us.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,864,421 times
There are many more safe areas than those listed above... Those are probably just the best... Plenty of good areas on the East North and West side... some patchy areas on the south side city limits and off Tennessee street, besides that it is pretty safe...

Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM

54 posts, read 100,066 times
When my family transfered from Ca. we found a great short term apartment home;
www.thepinestallahassee.com . They are in the NW part of town. Very clean, safe, good staff, and it was near just about anywhere but in a quite area. I ran into many families there in your situation where they just needed a place until there home was built.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 PM

7,902 posts, read 5,513,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
Any recommendations on safe family-oriented areas to live within Tallahassee? My wife and I and our two small children are interested in purchasing a new construction single family home.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The whole place, expect for the immediate area around campus and the "worst" areas of town is more or less family oriented.

The south side around Orange Avenue, anywhere near FSU and parts west should be avoided. Outside of that, as someone already said, you should drive through to check it out. There are little spots of not-so-nice areas in some place, though the overall area will be nice.

Tallahassee has a lot of stuff for kids and many more parks than most cities it's size.

As others have noted, there are some areas that are better/safer than others. I live near Kerry Forest Parkway on the NE side of town. Crime is so low that I can't even tell you when there was an incident in my actual neighborhood. Kids walk to elementary school here, so I guess it is pretty safe.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:54 AM

57 posts, read 411,997 times
I'm an officer in Tallahassee, and grew up in Miami. Tallahassee is 100x safer than anywhere in south Florida. Like others have said, there are only a few areas I would stick away from. Frenchtown areas of the southside of town are areas that should not be high on your list. Around campus is a little run down, and there isn't too much family housing there anyways. Other than that, everywhere else is pretty safe. Every neighborhood has its problems, and most "nice" neighborhoods have problems that the residents don't even know about.

Southwood is a growing area in the southeast side of town. Don't just limit yourself to the city limits. There are lots of nice subdivisions and communities in Leon County.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 AM

7,902 posts, read 5,513,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
I'm an officer in Tallahassee, and grew up in Miami. Tallahassee is 100x safer than anywhere in south Florida. Like others have said, there are only a few areas I would stick away from. Frenchtown areas of the southside of town are areas that should not be high on your list. Around campus is a little run down, and there isn't too much family housing there anyways. Other than that, everywhere else is pretty safe. Every neighborhood has its problems, and most "nice" neighborhoods have problems that the residents don't even know about.

Southwood is a growing area in the southeast side of town. Don't just limit yourself to the city limits. There are lots of nice subdivisions and communities in Leon County.
I think a lot of people are put off Tallahassee by misleading crime stats...do you find it the case that this stats are mainly generated in a fairly contained area or two?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:34 AM

57 posts, read 411,997 times
I don't think crime stats are really that bad for Tallahassee. There are lots of variables one must look at in order to break down the rates. With the addition of 75k college students, your numbers are swayed. Some stats compare crime to population, and ours does not include the students. Many college kids will report petit crimes, that many others will not. Either because they were sheltered their entire life, and think that a keyed vehicle is the end of the world. Burglaries are sometimes high, but that is because a HUGE amount come from students again. You'd be amazed at the amount that leave doors unlocked or windows unsecured over winter and spring break!

Our murder rates are very low, and violent crime is down. Another stat to look at is the crime clearance rate, or the percentage of crimes that are cleared or closed. Every city has its bad areas, and Tallahassee is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee