U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM

86 posts, read 343,828 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to Tallahassee for law school at FSU. I've never been to the city so I am looking for apartments blindly online. I'd rather not live in a four students to a room ****-hole where you can't sleep Thursday-Saturday nights like I did for undergrad, so I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a one-bedroom or two-bedroom (1 roommate).

Some the following got decent reviews, but I was wondering what some of you have to say about the following apartment complexes and their surrounding areas.

Georgetown Apartments, off W. Tharpe Street near Levy Park

Spanish Oaks, in Griffin Heights area

Londontown, off N. Meridian near Glendale and the Tallahassee Mall

Castle Apartments, off Apalachee Parkway in Towne East near Governor's Square Mall

Thanks in advance, any other suggestions are also appreciated- however I am not interested in the suburbs where I have to commute for 30+ minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM

7,902 posts, read 8,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
I'm thinking about relocating to Tallahassee for law school at FSU. I've never been to the city so I am looking for apartments blindly online. I'd rather not live in a four students to a room ****-hole where you can't sleep Thursday-Saturday nights like I did for undergrad, so I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a one-bedroom or two-bedroom (1 roommate).

Some the following got decent reviews, but I was wondering what some of you have to say about the following apartment complexes and their surrounding areas.

Georgetown Apartments, off W. Tharpe Street near Levy Park

Spanish Oaks, in Griffin Heights area

Londontown, off N. Meridian near Glendale and the Tallahassee Mall

Castle Apartments, off Apalachee Parkway in Towne East near Governor's Square Mall

Thanks in advance, any other suggestions are also appreciated- however I am not interested in the suburbs where I have to commute for 30+ minutes.

We should talk. I am a 1993 graduate of FSU law school and still practice here. I lived in a two-room efficiency right across the street from the law school (Collegewood), and it was OK for a year. Parking can be a problem so being within walking distance is a good thing - BUT you will be in the middle of undergrad party central. This is either a good or bad thing, depending on your marital status and ability to study while intoxicated. Let's just say I managed to graduate, despite having more fun than any law student should be allowed to have. But that's FSU for you.

My comments on your choices:

Stay the away from West Tharpe (Georgetown). The facility itself might be OK but the area is iffy/spotty. Too far south of Tharpe and you are in Frenchtown (see below). OTOH, renting a house with others on the North side of Tharpe worked out very well for me. There are lots of houses for rent so check that out before you sign a lease.

DO NOT rent anywhere near Griffin Heights. This is in "Frenchtown" and is a bad area.

Londontown is not the nicest complex, but you are in a relatively nice area and not far from the Monroe street strip. Of the ones you list, this one is probably in the best neighborhood. Good access to retaurants, etc. You could bike to the law school from here.

Castle Apartments on Apalachee...not as bad as the first two, but Apalachee Parkway just sucks. It is also a LOT farther away from downtown than you realize (the law school is nestled on the west side of downtown, between the Capitol and FSU proper).

BTW there is NOWHERE in Tallahassee that you could live and have more than a 30 minute commute on normal days. If you are willing to fight the traffic and not live right near the law school/downtown, consider looking around the north and east sides for nicer complexes. I also lived in Blairstone Aparments, right next to Governor's Square and a bit off Apalachee - and it was very nice and convenient. There are also a lot of duplexes in this area that are for rent.

Generally I would stay north of Apalachee Parkway on the east side, and north of Tharpe if you are going west. Generally the east side of town is nicer. Unless of course you are single male, in which case you will be very pleased with the scenery immediately around campus.

Try this http://www.floridahousinglocator.com - this is a listing of affordable housing apartment complexes, etc., for the whole state. Be advised that some properties will not accept students in some units (financed with tax credits), but have student units otherwise available. Blairstone is one of these - an affordable housing complex that really looks more like a luxury one. Ditto Eagle's Landing (NE) and St. Augustine Club (SE).

And like I said, there are duplexes and townhouses for rent all over the place.

Whoever told you to rent in Griffin Heights is not your friend.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM

940 posts, read 2,202,415 times
Everyone I know who has lived in LondonTown loved/loves it. The management there is great.

No Georgetown!!

It would help if you had a price range. In general, Northside is better than Southside, and Eastside is better than Westside, but there are exceptions. Send me a message, my wife and I both went to FSU and live in Tallahassee still.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM

12,394 posts, read 22,426,533 times
def not georgetown, bad place.

londontown is pretty cool middle of the road, far enough from students but still close enough. I have been to a friends over there and it is pretty decent. Check out some stuff off Blairstone.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 AM

57 posts, read 743,372 times
As an LEO in Tally, I would suggest that you don't even bother with Georgetown. It really comes down to what you want. If you want the college party atmosphere, most of the complexes around campus are the same. You will get what you pay for, which is very little. The northeast has several complexes, but they are pricier, somewhere around 650-800 a month. A new area in southeast part of town, Southwood Plantation, has a new complex that is nice, but it too is pricey.

Take a look at renting a condo or townhome. Therer are a lot of good deals on them as well.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM

73 posts, read 152,018 times
I would look into The Pines; The Pines Apartment Homes at Glen Pointe - Tallahassee Florida. You can also read their review and others at Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.. The Pines was great because they offered 3-12 month leases and the team was always reliable. It had more professional tenants as well with a good bit of graduate students.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 PM

86 posts, read 343,828 times
Hmmm, it seems several of the better places won't accept more than a certain number of students or only take those with 3x the rent in income (and they don't accept guarantors either!). Considering that I can't work my first year, that's not going to be possible.

I've extended my search, can anyone comment on these complexes?

Fulton Hills, near Tallahassee Mall

Arbor Station, near Tallahassee Mall

Meridian Place, off Meridian near Glendale area

Midtown at Meridian, off Meridian near Glendale area

Harbin Terrace, directly west of the stadium on Pensacola St.

Also, I'm not really sure how to go about looking at renting a townhome or room in a house other than through Craigslist. I'd rather not pay money to use a realtor unless absolutely necessary. Any suggestions?

Thanks as usual.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM

940 posts, read 2,202,415 times
Quote:
Hmmm, it seems several of the better places won't accept more than a certain number of students or only take those with 3x the rent in income (and they don't accept guarantors either!). Considering that I can't work my first year, that's not going to be possible.

Also, I'm not really sure how to go about looking at renting a townhome or room in a house other than through Craigslist. I'd rather not pay money to use a realtor unless absolutely necessary. Any suggestions?

Thanks as usual.
Harbin Terrace is a NO. The others I'm not too familiar with, but the Tallahassee Mall area is ok, not great...For the most part, anything on Meridian is nice. Look into Eagle's Landing and Tanager from Arbor Properties, go to Arbor Properties website.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM

7,902 posts, read 8,121,934 times
Quote:

Thanks as usual.
Harbin Terrace is a craphole.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM

94 posts, read 233,668 times
I live in Meridian place, its nice place to live, I have been here for last 2 yrs now, its pretty quiet and safe place to live. I have never had any probs. hit me up for more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee