U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 60,387 times

Advertisements

Hi my daughter and her boyfriend are moving to tallahassee for Brittanys freshman year at FSU. We have been looking for apartments and trying to find a good area. Has any one had any experience with Pointe East apartments at 709 Pointe Ct Tallahassee, FL 32308? They are 2/1 units for a really good price. Thanks for the help.

Or does any one have any other apartments in a nice area of the city. The kids are paying for the unit on there own and wanted to keep it under $600.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 PM

482 posts, read 2,266,799 times
I tried to find those apartments on mapquest and couldn't find them. I lived in Tallahassee for 18 years and raised my daughter there. She wanted to go out of state to college thus my move to Kissimmee where I am at present. I know Tallahassee real well, what are the cross streets near these apartments? There are some good and not so good locations near FSU, $600 a month is probably going to put them in an older,smaller complex which isn't a bad thing so long as it is not in a bad area. One thing I would do if I were you is call the City of Tallahassee Police Department and ask for someone who could possibly tell you if this complex is located in an area with crime problems. As the Mom of a girl who went thru this in Birmingham, Alabama I know you want to have some idea that she is in a safe area! My daughter and a friend rented an apartment without me being there, I got there a few days later and threw a fit, they were going to have to back their cars out onto a very high traffic road at a blind curve to get out of the parking area and while I was standing in the parking area a homeless guy came up to ask for money. My gut told me no way and I got them out of it and into something in a better area. Thank goodness she will have her boyfriend with her so that should help you knowing she isn't alone. Good luck to her!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Red face Cross street for apartments per mapquest

The cross streets for Pointe East are: Mahan, which also has 90 and 10 intersate symbol. Blairstone by Governors Park is after this and Marys is before this. I also included this link: Map of 709 Pointe Ct Tallahassee, FL by MapQuest

She also looked at Spanish Oaks at 1327 High Rd Tallahassee, FL 32304.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. If you know of a complex please let me know. Her safety is our primary concern, even if we have to kick in some rent money for them. Thank You for your help, we are located near you in South west Orlando.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,869,645 times
If it's near the Mahan/Blairstone intersection it should be fine. I don't know the complex though so I can't say for sure.

After looking at the map, it should definitely be fine.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:58 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,851,840 times
Default Should be safe

I looked at the location you linked on the map ... a couple of notes from me (someone who lived in TLH and still visits family there regularly):

1) The location appears to be in a relatively safe area compared to some other parts of they city. The TLH police department has an excellent crime map on their or the city's website where you can search by address and pull in data about crime within a certain radius of the address.

2) That location is several miles from campus, which can be good and bad. Good in that it is probably a more quiet location without crazy college students all over the place (at least from a parent's perspective). Bad in that they won't be able to walk or easily bike into campus and be part of the university atmosphere.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Thank You all, to the quick replies, This makes us all feel more at ease. If anyone knows a better place for us to look please let us know.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:41 AM

482 posts, read 2,266,799 times
I agree with other posts, Mahan/Blairstone area is fine and really not that far from FSU. It is close to grocery store, mall, restaurants, etc. This location would be more convient than High Rd.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,672,020 times
I was in two minds about renting. Should we buy? But spent a long weekend looking at both options and frankly we decided to rent first year, as I think prices can go lower. We have signed up at Players Club its lovely, $450 a month includes most utilities (you split cost over a certain limit), 4 bed, 2 bath condo with fully fitted kitchen, washer dryer, completely over the top clubhouse with pool, sand volleyball, gymnasium, tennis courts, one mile walk/bike to campus or free bus outside entrance. Bedrooms have desk area and are all furnished, so another worry gone. Also computer room in clubhouse and meeting room for group study. I thought the place looked really well run (really do avoid those ones opposite with the frat houses on the site) the staff (some FSU students) were great and helpful and they will endeavour to match up with like students. We looked at several, we also liked one with an Italian name - sorry forgotten it, but it was about another $60 a month and the only difference seem to be a free tanning bed - cheaper to pay LOL
good luck to you anyway, don't leave it too long, because summer orientation is going on and apparently a lot of places are gone by the end of that.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:44 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
I agree with other posts, Mahan/Blairstone area is fine and really not that far from FSU. It is close to grocery store, mall, restaurants, etc. This location would be more convient than High Rd.

I lived in Blairstone apartments right next to the mall off Apalachee for two years. It is a better and safer location than High Road/Spanish Oaks (lived there too!).

High Road is more or less the student ghetto, though not that run down really, it borders on some not-so-safe areas, namely, Frenchtown. The upside is that it is walking distance from campus and is nearly all students.

If driving and the hassles of parking aren't a problem for your daughter, or if they aren't into the whole undergrad party scene, DEFINITELY get a place AWAY FROM CAMPUS. Preferably in the northeast quadrant...

If you really want her to be in a safe and quiet place, check out some of the new apartments off Thomasville road north of I-10/Bradfordville. This would make a car pretty much necessary as this area is 8-10 miles from campus, but it is probably the safest area of Tallahassee outside of a gated community.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:58 AM

Thanks to everyone here we have leased the 2/1 apartment at Pointe East by Blairstone. This makes all of us feel more at ease to know she is safe and in a good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or