Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,416,495 times

Advertisements

I can't emphasize more than Strel has already done, but take him seriously and live on the greater NE side of (east of monroe, north of tennessee. The better amenities, cleaner roads, landscapes, schools, restaurants, are all over there. Honestly might as well be 2 different cities from the west and south sides of town.
I would absolutely not live anywhere around TN west/pensacola street if I were in your situation, unless you want to drive around 70k college students, especially not out by the airport, unless you want crime/trailers.
Southwood is rather desperate housewivesish cookie cutter, not much around there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 04:53 AM

204 posts, read 633,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Southwood is rather desperate housewivesish cookie cutter, not much around there either.
Yeah, but it's closer to the airport.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:56 AM

In all seriousness, as others have stated the NE side is the way to go followed by southwood. Have a look at both areas and do test runs to the airport during rush hour.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:34 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,102,480 times
Getting to the airport from the NE side of town isn't that bad, really. As long as I-10 west isn't backed up. Once you're off I-10 on the other side of town, you just have to slug it down Capital Circle to the airport. But compared to the traffic you would face in a major city, it's nothing.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 40,578 times
Default Moving to Tallahassee will be a mistake

I would not recommend that anyone move to Tallahassee, especially if you

have kids. Tallahassee is basically a college town. Most of the residents

here are prejudice/racist. A lot of people here get drunk and do drugs.

Finding employment here also is very hard. Once you do get a job here

you can expect to make little money, being that it is a small city.

Even if you live in a"safe" neighboorhood in Tallahassee you may not be

happy. The electric company here, Talquin,is a rip off; They give you your monthly bill

based on how much they think it should be and if you don't pay your bill

they will immediately cut it off; They will not negotiation payments either.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,102,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi954 View Post

happy. The electric company here, Talquin,is a rip off; They give you your monthly bill

You are the only person on this board that thinks Tallahassee isn't good for kids. This city is BUILT around kids. On what do you base this opinion?

As for most of the residents being racist, that's just nonsense. First of all, over 40% of th residents are black, so are you talking about black racists too? I've lived here since 1987 and the racism in Tallahassee itself is lower than anything I have seen ANYWHERE. Outside Tallahassee, in the counties, it is pretty much what you would expect from a rural area in the South, but that doesn't fly in Tallahassee proper, where people have a much more liberal attitude. FFS we have a black mayor! Moderator cut: Flaming/Trolling

A lot of people get drunk and do drugs in every city in this country, what's your point? It's a college town. Should partying be a surprise to anyone?

Shockingly, most utility companies will shut off your power if you don't pay.

I think your problems are more personal and don't have anything to do with Tallahassee.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-13-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi954 View Post

To say Tallahassee is basically a college town is to oversimplify. It's the capital of Florida so there is significant amounts of government related employment. There is a fair amount of offices by the Thomasville and I-10 corridor.

There are areas of the city which cater to students. Of course there is drinking and some drug use. However, the northeast side is definitely not one of those areas.

The city has nearly 170,000 residents and one of the lowest levels of unemployment in the state. It's in no way a small town but a medium sized city. The cost of living is also very affordable when compared to other areas of the country. This is why salaries are lower than major cities which tend to have higher costs of living.

The utility company is owned by the city and they charge a much higher rate than other places in Florida because the traditional revenue source available to municipalities, property taxes, is inadequate since so much is tax-exempt due to either being government uses or education. This must be factored into the cost of living, but I believe you still come out ahead in terms of Tallahassee being an affordable place to live.

Tallahassee has wonderful parks and is generally more laid-back style of living. I can't really explain the experience, but I feel more relaxed in Tallahassee than in other cities. I don't know anything about K-12 education in the city. I believe someone else however has commented on the quality of the schools.

You seem all too familiar with being unable to pay your bills, and I am truly sorry your are so bitter about Tallahassee. But just because you hate the place, it doesn't mean you should take your hate out on someone else. As many others have stated, Tallahassee sounds like a good match for the OP's criteria.

I personally prefer big northeast cities and Chicago due to the nightlife and amenities. Tallahassee has nightlife, but the 18-year old college girls gets really old really fast.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM

I also forgot to comment on your claim that Tallahassee is racist. That's comical since it's probably one of the least racists places I've ever been in, and I say this as a mixed-race individual.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 40,578 times
Moderator cut: Personal Attack/Flaming/Trolling There is a significant amount of drug and alcohol use amongst people here. As for the whole racist/prejudice thing, there are a lot of racists here. I use to live in South Florida. I expected Tallahassee to be better, but its not. It is not the small- safe city that everybody claims it is. So what if the major is black, there still are a lot of racist people here, I didn't say EVERYBODY was

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-13-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 06-11-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,074 times
I have lived in Tallahassee (Woodville, south of Tally) for 32 years, have created my own business in a mixed race community that is becoming better with better amenities each year. The people are warm and considerate, caring for the old and the young. Most work in Tally, but come home to the country. Some of these reviewers seem never to have been outside the city limits. Too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee