U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-16-2009, 03:56 PM

737 posts, read 926,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I know this is an older post, but I am extremely chatty today and have a 'word quota' to fulfill.

I agree in what you are telling him. I wish I had a $50-60 electric bill.

2 people here in Tampa - 3 bed/2-1/2 bath townhouse loft *without* the afternoon sun hitting through the windows where it would hurt. I am GRATEFUL when the electric bill goes below 300 and I keep my air conditioning steady at 75 with ceiling fans, filter is changed out once a month, run my washer/dryer/dishwasher 80% of the time during energy saver hours, late, after 11pm since I am typically a night owl, etc. I keep a good number of misc things like my treadmill, elliptical, cell phone charger and so forth blah-blah items unplugged except when I need/use them. No major earth shocking difference in the bill from when I didn't. . . except for the 2 special months in Winter you get to turn off the air conditioning, then it dips below $300. Woo-woo!

My Brighthouse Cable bill [internet, 3 HD boxes - one a DVR, landline phone] is 185/mo without the pay per view, which is on average of about $35-40/mo. After hearing something on the radio on a talk show a couple weeks ago how they will work with anyone on their packages to keep them from going to competitors, I decided to test it to see if they would. They did. They gave me a free upgrade to their newest turbo-speed internet, a year free of Showtime, The Movie Channel and all of the premium HD channels - and lowered the bill by $10, but actually saves more than $10 [more like $45-55/mo, since I'm recording the movies on the premiums and not grabbing them off Pay Per View now, I am being good].

I then decided to try it with State Farm for my auto. I printed out a competitors quote, brought it into their office and they matched it. It was quite a few dollars less.

(Hint Hint, nudge nudge to some people who may want to give it a swing)

Too bad it would not work the same with Tampa Electric. I thought we were paying out of the arse in Phoenix with SRP, which is completely outrageous, regularly increasing their rates, last one was increased by 7% 2 years ago, may have had another since I've left. . . however, Florida just rapes you when it comes to electric. Happy-Happy, joy-joy. I'm in the wrong biz, yay me.
I'm also on teco which is tampa electric and I got my bill down to about 120.00 to 130.00. Yes Tampa electric keeps pushing there rates up up up. My home is 1200 sq. feet. Plus the garage is aired also with insulation over the garage. (( I really had to work at this low bill tho) Celling fans keep lights off during the day. My computer has a good low engergy power supply.

My cable bill is 120.00 a month this includes tv, dvr, phone, hbo, max, 15 mb of high speed cable. Special they were running recently.

My water bill runs about 60.00 a month tho I'm charged 30.00 a month just for sewage alone.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-17-2009, 08:23 AM

335 posts, read 406,181 times
Check out the link below.
Florida Public Power Energer and Electric Utility Industry (http://www.publicpower.com/electricrates.shtml - broken link)

Unread 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,589 times
Default Tallahassee utilities

I have lived in Baton Rouge, LA; Hattiesburg MS; Jacksonville FL and then here (as an adult). Tallahassee is the highest utilities I have ever seen.
For a one bedroom apartment, coming from Jacksonville to Tallahassee, my electric bill is about 30-40% more. However, Tallahassee charges me (even though I live in an apartment) for the fire department & sewer which is about $18/mo of that bill. I have never had to pay for the fire dept before myself (in an apt.) I get billed separately for water, same as in Jax, though the water is also higher because I am charged $20/flat fee for trash pickup (yes that is how it is at our complex, due to having garbage bins on each individual floor of the apartments...I would prefer not to pay $20/month and walk my trash myself to the bins, but that is NOT an option (also as a side note do not live in Victoria Grand apts, these are the 'luxury' 'high rent' apartments but terrible compared to what you get for the same price in Jacksonville).

Side note, it seems that running the heat costs a lot more here than the airconditioner which I haven't seen before as usually it is the other way around. I moved here in Sept, so I cannot say what will happen in the summer months and likely will not be in Tally then as salaries are also lower, so hopefully will have a job back in Jax again making 15-20% more for the same job.

this is a city for families, cheap cost for a large house and a large lot. I actually lived here in 6th grade and is a great place for a family and kids without the big city influences (as much). Not as great for a single adult in an apartment. Schools are better here than in Jacksonville and in Baton Rouge.

Unread 07-05-2010, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,930 times
This should give you all a good non-anecdotal basis for comparing Tally to other cities. Compared to Jacksonville, for example, it's about 20% higher in Tally. It's my understanding that Tally uses a hydroelectric dam to produce power whenever possible, so that may be part of the reason for the extra cost.

[url=http://www.jea.com/services/electric/rates_quarterly.asp]JEA - Quarterly Electric Rates[/url]

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM

482 posts, read 415,447 times
dont move to an Older apartment Higher Bills

Move to a new apartment lower bills

when i was in tally my friend 2 bedroom was like 200-250 a month

my newer apartment 2/2 was like 100/125 a month

Unread 07-29-2010, 05:57 PM

109 posts, read 190,890 times
Ok folks, here's the straight poop on Electric rates:

I analyzed my mother's bill last month in Miami, my last bill in Costa Rica in March, my co-workers bill in Tallahassee last month and my bill last month on Lake Talquin.

Miami - $0.10 /kwh
Costa Rica - $0.13 /kwh
Tallahassee - $0.15 /kwh
Talquin - $0.14 /kwh

Both Tally and Talquin are *extremely* high.

What is kwh, and what does it mean?

KWH is KiloWattHours (Kilo means 1000)

If you turn on 10 100watt bulbs for exactly one hour in Tallahassee you will pay 15 cents for the pleasure.

I've never seen a price that high in the United States.

Oh, you can do your own, just look on your bill and divide the total price of your bill by the total kwh used. (kwh/$)

Unread 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM

335 posts, read 406,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalleyster View Post
Ok folks, here's the straight poop on Electric rates:

I analyzed my mother's bill last month in Miami, my last bill in Costa Rica in March, my co-workers bill in Tallahassee last month and my bill last month on Lake Talquin.

Miami - $0.10 /kwh
Costa Rica - $0.13 /kwh
Tallahassee - $0.15 /kwh
Talquin - $0.14 /kwh

Both Tally and Talquin are *extremely* high.

What is kwh, and what does it mean?

KWH is KiloWattHours (Kilo means 1000)

If you turn on 10 100watt bulbs for exactly one hour in Tallahassee you will pay 15 cents for the pleasure.

I've never seen a price that high in the United States.

Oh, you can do your own, just look on your bill and divide the total price of your bill by the total kwh used. (kwh/$)

Unread 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM

109 posts, read 190,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalleyster View Post
...divide the total price of your bill by the total kwh used. (kwh/$)
D'oh!

That should be ($/kwh)

(Whattaya want for free advice 8^)

tks for the thumb!

Unread 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM

27 posts, read 34,412 times
If you're looking for affordable utilities in Tallahassee stay clear of city utilities! I was living on Blair Stone and paid over $400/month for a two bedroom duplex! I recently moved to a two bedroom apartment and on the second floor my utilities are running $145 during the hottest days of summer. My secret is I am on Talquin electric which is cheaper than city utilities.

The apartments I stay at are Club at Lake Jackson. I moved here purely to get off of city utilities and because the location is just a few blocks from the interstate and Tallahassee mall so getting around is easy for me.

Good luck with your power bill if you plan on moving where City Utilities have you!

Unread 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,362 times
Default Utility Rates - Tally

All,

My blended rate for August was $0.137 per Kwh - electrical and $0.013 per gallon water/sewer/storm. I left the fire service out as this is an obvious unsupported tax. Even though I maintain (mow and clean) the City's storm water facility (ditch) I still pay for this privilege ($7.95 per month) so I put this in the water calculation. I have no idea why the water/sewer/storm rates are so high it can't be those 33,000 people in Wakulla County are flushing their toilets into septic tanks and polluting Wakulla Springs. If it is how about the treatment plants in Leon County surface discharge into the St. Marks or Ochlockonee River south of the dam.

I am okay with paying a small premium to burn natural gas instead of oil or coal it's cleaner and we have more of it. I am not okay with paying a huge premium for a mismanaged City Government. How about we get rid of all the Assistant City Managers along with about 30% of all the other administrative employees and reduce all of the remaining folks salary by 30% starting at the top.

Good Luck

Torvaz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee