U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 04:43 PM

16 posts, read 64,485 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Tallahassee as a grad student under the "every penny counts" scenario. I want to work out a budget for myself to see what I can afford before signing a lease, so first I need to account for utilities. I expect to rent a 1000-1300sf apartment. I'm not used to Florida heat, so I will probably run the A/C a lot and keep it set around 73. If anyone can speak to what they pay for any of these utilities within Tally or estimate my costs, I would appreciate it!
  • Electricity (a/c + heat?)
  • Water
  • gas
  • cable
  • high speed internet
(who are the top cable and internet providers? Do they offer a cable+internet package deal?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,719,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaOz View Post
I am moving to Tallahassee as a grad student under the "every penny counts" scenario. I want to work out a budget for myself to see what I can afford before signing a lease, so first I need to account for utilities. I expect to rent a 1000-1300sf apartment. I'm not used to Florida heat, so I will probably run the A/C a lot and keep it set around 73. If anyone can speak to what they pay for any of these utilities within Tally or estimate my costs, I would appreciate it!
  • Electricity (a/c + heat?)
  • Water
  • gas
  • cable
  • high speed internet
(who are the top cable and internet providers? Do they offer a cable+internet package deal?)
I think this might be what you are looking for

Utility Rates - Talgov.com

Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM

879 posts, read 2,912,604 times
My son goes to FSU and lives in a approximately 1300 square foot townhouse with 2 other boys. They keep it rather cool in the summer and their bills split three ways runs about 300+ in the summer. That is with water, sewer and electricity. Tallahassee utilites are about the highest I believe in the state and they tax on the tax. Their comcast bill runs about 120 a month with three boxes in each room and one in the living room that has HBO. I believe their high speed internet is in with that bill.

Oh and if you need a room to rent, my best friends son has a 3/3 townhouse that he and his brother live in and are looking to rent out a room. The older son is a grad student as well. The younger one is a sophmore. The rent on that would be 350.00 plus utilities.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:17 PM

16 posts, read 64,485 times
Wow... $300? YIKES! Thanks. I am actually married, so looking for a place to ourselves. I am hoping for no frills cable + high speed internet. I prob can't afford premium channels and I only need 1 box. Any ideas of that cost or package deals?

Old 06-06-2009, 08:20 PM

8,893 posts, read 3,049,834 times
Try looking on Comcast website.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 AM

12,395 posts, read 14,621,451 times
electric in tallahassee can be 300-400 in the summer for a 3 br house.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
electric in tallahassee can be 300-400 in the summer for a 3 br house.
Electric is an easy usage to control. What is the actual cost per KWH? When you say summer, then I have to assume you are saying the cost is mostly air conditioning. That is very easy to control and not be wasteful. That kind of usage would not in the least be typical I would not think. It looks wasteful to me.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 AM

12,395 posts, read 14,621,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Electric is an easy usage to control. What is the actual cost per KWH? When you say summer, then I have to assume you are saying the cost is mostly air conditioning. That is very easy to control and not be wasteful. That kind of usage would not in the least be typical I would not think. It looks wasteful to me.
4 people in a 3 bedroom house...that is just what it runs. City of Tallahassee utilities is notoriously high. Yes the cost is mostly AC we keep it on 74 and have a brand new thermostat and a/c unit. Also there are 4 people doing laundry, showers, etc. etc. ...very typical for a student living situation.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
4 people in a 3 bedroom house...that is just what it runs. City of Tallahassee utilities is notoriously high. Yes the cost is mostly AC we keep it on 74 and have a brand new thermostat and a/c unit. Also there are 4 people doing laundry, showers, etc. etc. ...very typical for a student living situation.
There is waste going on. 74 is too low and not typical of what most people keep it set at. Here is what is probably happening. 4 people doing laundry also probably have the dryer running like crazy several times a day with very little in it. Dryers are worse then A/C by comparison. I would guess they also have 3 or 4 TV's on all the time with no one watching along with every light in the house on. Dishwashers using hot water with almost no dishes in them running several times a day. Showers running like crazy with no attempt to conserve a bit. That kind of collage dorm "Who cares waste", is not typical of a normal family living situation. You also said that "Tallahassee utilities is notoriously high"
As compared to what? What the KWA cost in Tallahassee? I do believe they are higher then average because of clean burning but how high?

Last edited by mango23; 06-07-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM

705 posts, read 776,560 times
Default Input From a Non-Student

My husband and I live in a well-insulated three-bedroom, one-story townhouse, with about 1500 square feet. We keep our A/C temp at 78 degrees and we also use ceiling fans constantly in the summer. We're at home pretty much all the time, so the A/C temp never changes. Last month's utility bill was just over $200, and that includes gas for the water heater, as well as water service (and the water for our irrigation system is included in that as well). The stove is electric, and the dryer is electric too.

Our most recent cable bill is $185, and that includes digital cable w/ HD, and it also includes high-speed internet. I think that's too high, but my husband MUST have cable TV, and I MUST have high-speed internet, so there you are.

Utility costs have come down a little in recent months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee