Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,204 times

Advertisements

Hi all! there will be a rally in Tallahasse on Aprill 17th about lowering Florida property taxes. The group doing this is FLoridians in Action, FIA. Contact them they have buses leaving from different cities and if you reserve its free.

Go to there web site to sign petiton if you cant make it. Im sure there will be other cities they will be leaving from but these are the ones I have information about. Lets not just complain about property taxes but do something about it.

WE NEED YOUR PRESENCE

Please join Property Tax Rally
to Tallahassee

FREE Transportation! FREE Lunch

˜Floridians to Rally at the Capitol in Tallahassee ˜

Where: The front steps of Florida 's Old Capitol Tallahassee , Fla.

When: Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Time: 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.

PLEASE COME – CALL TODAY TO RESERVE

Leaving From:

Miami:
Tropical Park
7900 SW 40th St
Miami, FL
Jarle De La Torre
305-389-2731
JM1310@aol.com

Sarasota/Manatee:
Southgate Mall
3501 South Tamiami Trail
Sarasota FL 34239
Terri Noyes
tnoyes4097@aol.com
(941) 778-0205

New Smyrna Beach:
K-Mart Hwy 44
1724 State Rd 44
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
Margie Patchett
386-212-3968
Margie640@bellsouth.net

Saint Cloud:
Wal-Mart
4400 13th St.
Saint Cloud, FL 34769
jose@saveourhomesforever.com
Fort Lauderdale:
The Galleria Mall
2414 East Sunrise Blvd.
Ft. Lauderdale , FL 33304
Arielle Rosayn
(561) 702-7844
arosayn@yahoo.com

Tampa:
West Shore Plaza
250 West Shore Plaza
Tampa, FL 33609
Paige Silva
pmdawn20@hotmail.com
(504) 812-3715

Weeki Wachee:
Crystal River Mall
6270 Commercial Way
Weeki Wachee, FL 34613

C.J. Dixon
c.j.dixon@usa.net
(352)220-0458

Linda Hayward
(352-797-9653)
LHAYWARD@tampabay.rr.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 07:16 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,133 times
Thumbs up Turn up the heat!!!

The FL House has already passed legislation to eleiminate property taxes for MOST Floridians, but the FL Senate (just like the US Senate) is in the hands of special interest groups and have passed a crappy proposal to lower the property taxes (vs. The House plan that ELIMINATES the tax for most).

Call the FL House and The FL senate!!

Let's turn the heat on these politicians!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,204 times
hey guys Im adding a link for the petition, please call the House and Senate as Nirvana Guy says also sign the petition. If you are not pro active that DONT complain about it. Remember renters can also sign because this affects you also.

http://www.dynamicpa.net/Petition_Insurance_Taxes.htm (broken link)

Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 AM

93 posts, read 370,192 times
This was posted by NIrvana-Guy on another website. It is great.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FL House has passed a MUCH better plan!

The FL Senate (just as the corrupted US Senate) passed a crappy plan.

People, CALL YOUR FL STATE SENATORS AND DEMAND (DO NOT ASK) FOR THEM TO ENDORSE THE FL HOUSE PLAN TO ELIMINATE THE PROPERTY TAXES!! TELL THEM YOU ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN A COMPLETE ELIMINATION OF PROPERTY TAXES FOR HOMES VALUED LES STHAN $300,000!

Here is how you find their #s (using your zip code):

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Welcome/i...TOKEN=19965904 (broken link)

Old 04-13-2007, 08:57 AM

985 posts, read 5,757,044 times
Since Florida does not have income tax and people now don't want to pay real estate tax, how do you guys plan to pay for schools and other public services (like police)? I am just curious what's alternative plan (I used to live in Tampa for four years). More sale tax?

Never mind, it looks like more sale tax and deep cut in public service.
http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBXP86ME0F.html (broken link)

Last edited by jxu66; 04-13-2007 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: add links later after posting.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:45 AM

A quote from the above mentioned link..........
"She also said she plans to reduce or eliminate the city's subsidies to nonprofit organizations, such as The Florida Orchestra and Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center."

How come there is no mention of cutting adinistrative costs eg patronage jobs. Salaries of Civil service would be another place to cut. Years ago you took a civil service job for the security in spite of the low pay. Now that has completely reversed. Most civil service jobs pay waaay more than their civilian counterparts and that isn't even figuring iin the benefit package which could be worth up to 50% of the salary!

An example, recently in the local rag the North Port Police Union was demanding a starting salary of 40K + the benefit package. A lieut. was quoted as saying he wanted an increase in pay for his last 3 years so as to boost his pension. The Lieut. was alaried at about 75K +/- per year. Not too bad for a small town without a major crime problem BTW the starting salary for NYPD is 38K and in some areas you do take your life in your hands. My buddy is NYPD and they are told NOT to enter certain areas unless the patrol Sgt. and other backup is present.

Most large Corp. do not even have a pension plan. It is called 401K or IRA hell, even the UAW is "giving back" think about the airline pilots assoc. and so many others. Thise living off the govt. teat should be given a reminder now and then that they are not sacred or immune to the variations of the economy.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 AM

121 posts, read 504,023 times
Default Good

Sounds Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
"She also said she plans to reduce or eliminate the city's subsidies to nonprofit organizations, such as The Florida Orchestra and Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center."

_____Good millions of dollars spent and most residents will never see the those places. Special intrests want it then let them pay for it.

How come there is no mention of cutting adinistrative costs eg patronage jobs. Salaries of Civil service would be another place to cut. Years ago you took a civil service job for the security in spite of the low pay. Now that has completely reversed. Most civil service jobs pay waaay more than their civilian counterparts and that isn't even figuring iin the benefit package which could be worth up to 50% of the salary!

________Corrupt givernment taking care of its own.

An example, recently in the local rag the North Port Police Union was demanding a starting salary of 40K + the benefit package. A lieut. was quoted as saying he wanted an increase in pay for his last 3 years so as to boost his pension. The Lieut. was alaried at about 75K +/- per year. Not too bad for a small town without a major crime problem BTW the starting salary for NYPD is 38K and in some areas you do take your life in your hands. My buddy is NYPD and they are told NOT to enter certain areas unless the patrol Sgt. and other backup is present.

Most large Corp. do not even have a pension plan. It is called 401K or IRA hell, even the UAW is "giving back" think about the airline pilots assoc. and so many others. Thise living off the govt. teat should be given a reminder now and then that they are not sacred or immune to the variations of the economy.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 AM

75 posts, read 290,263 times
Default Cuts....

Arrgh, I live near NYC and I know many NYPD officers. It's a known fact that they are very unhappy with their initial pay. All newcomers are thrown in some of the worst neighborhoods and are not adequately trained. It sounds frightening when we entertain the thought of cutting the salaries of those who protect you and me. Cuts should start at the top of the food chain, not in the middle. I'm sure there is a lot of excess fat to be cut at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post

Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 AM

I agree with youe SHellyR. The cuts should be across the board for everyone and there should be a competency test for most positions. I know an asst. principal in the North bronx, that person was math teacher prior to the promotion. Earns about 90K per year. That person did not know the 2 4 5 theorum or hoe to quickly compute pi. It is a total disgrace. Also , ever notice how civil workers will slow down for a traffic light if they think it is going to turn red. This is usually in the morning but in the afternoon (shift over) they will go like the hammers of hell to get back to the "pen"

Old 04-14-2007, 07:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Since Florida does not have income tax and people now don't want to pay real estate tax, how do you guys plan to pay for schools and other public services (like police)? I am just curious what's alternative plan (I used to live in Tampa for four years). More sale tax?

Never mind, it looks like more sale tax and deep cut in public service.
http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBXP86ME0F.html (broken link)
We did it before, and things were so much better with less money! The more money you give the system the worse it is, period! Taxes were low in the 1950's and the schools were 100 times better than the trash we have now. Sure they had no air conditioning, but they were beautiful. As for police if we get rid of the illegals the demand for officers would shrink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee