U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 PM
 
7,247 posts, read 2,076,498 times
Reputation: 2676
Thank you for sharing your experience. Makes me realize it's not just me and I'm not going crazy. Tallahassee is very expensive. I make 1/3 the salary here and I'm beside myself with the prices. I don't know how people make ends meet here. Gas is the same as in Miami. Groceries are more expensive than in Miami. Even McDonald's are more expensive than in Miami. I've already mentioned my electric bill.

And I do know what you mean about Walmart. I ask people here and they tell me they DO shop there. I avoided buying anything at Walmart for years while I lived in Miami because I'm against box stores, and could do so very successfully and cheaply, and without going without. It's hard to not buy at Walmart here.




Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I ran into the same issues while there... for the stuff I was used to, i.e. eating organic foods it was actually more expensive, or not to be found at all, and when found, wasn't fresh. Most people in Tallahassee shop at Wal Mart or Publix. They both suck. New Leaf is limited and way overpriced for anywhere else. You will hear this isn't true though...but, just their subjective experience.
The restaurants there are pretty garbage too, I blame it on the people working there are mostly college students.
I paid about 70 for elec in Chicago from 2004-2008... between 200-300 in Tallahassee dec-may this year
My gf experienced the same thing.
I have left that place twice for greener pastures,some of the best decisions I ever made, one of the worst was to move back there for 6 months.

Welcome to Tallahassee...it is a sleepy southern college town, so I suppose all your griefs are to be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,324 posts, read 29,675,187 times
Reputation: 12642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. Makes me realize it's not just me and I'm not going crazy. Tallahassee is very expensive. I make 1/3 the salary here and I'm beside myself with the prices. I don't know how people make ends meet here. Gas is the same as in Miami. Groceries are more expensive than in Miami. Even McDonald's are more expensive than in Miami. I've already mentioned my electric bill.

And I do know what you mean about Walmart. I ask people here and they tell me they DO shop there. I avoided buying anything at Walmart for years while I lived in Miami because I'm against box stores, and could do so very successfully and cheaply, and without going without. It's hard to not buy at Walmart here.
The lack of organic food is to be deplored, but on top of that, McDonald's prices are too high?
I never shopped Walmart at all until I moved to north Florida. The interesting aspect of it for me was that their prices were not all that competitive.
I avoid Walmart.
Six months ago, it was predicted that electricity costs would go up.
Guess what? They went up. It's just that most are feeling the bite now because they are using AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I ran into the same issues while there... for the stuff I was used to, i.e. eating organic foods it was actually more expensive, or not to be found at all, and when found, wasn't fresh. Most people in Tallahassee shop at Wal Mart or Publix. They both suck.
IMHO, Publix not only does not suck, it is superior to many other grocery chains, and is competitively priced.
Quote:
If you like Miami, you'll hate Tallahassee... .
Probably true.
Saritaschihuahua, I sympathize with your situation.
Tally is not a world class city and never will be--I don't think its citizens aspire to that, nor should they.
You've ignored everything I've said and I get the feeling you just want to rant and be validated, so rant away, I'm done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach - Flamingo Park
14,679 posts, read 15,957,832 times
Reputation: 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua;
I make 1/3 the salary here and I'm beside myself with the prices. I don't know how people make ends meet here. Gas is the same as in Miami. Groceries are more expensive than in Miami. Even McDonald's are more expensive than in Miami. I've already mentioned my electric bill.

I don't understand? Why would you move to make 1/3 of the money!?


I think that it's a tradeoff, overall. Real estate/rents are cheaper in Tallahassee than where I live now, as is home insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
386 posts, read 480,267 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Besides not being true, why would that be a bad thing?
You can't prove that it's not true and I never said that was a bad thing.

In any case, it's the reality. Some people like it, some people don't but anyone that's here will have to deal with it or leave. Being in Tally doesn't bother me because I came up here as a college student and never left. Now any person that moves here (especially from a bigger, faster city) expecting the same level of satisfaction from whence they came are more disappointed when they receive less. There's an adjustment period.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
 
7,247 posts, read 2,076,498 times
Reputation: 2676
Yep. There are no "natural" or "organic" places except for 1 place, so unless you stuff your car with bananas and water, both of which get hot in the 103 degree weather, you've got nowhere to stop for a quick anything but McDonald's. Until I got to Tallahassee I hadn't been to McDonald's in, oh, like years? So I stopped with my cousins who were up here visiting me, and they were amazed that a little tiny town should have prices higher than gigantic Miami. My only question is, how do other people make ends meet here? Maybe they don't and can't. Maybe it's a matter of reducing spending drastically in all areas by relying more on... what? I dunno.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
The lack of organic food is to be deplored, but on top of that, McDonald's prices are too high?
I never shopped Walmart at all until I moved to north Florida. The interesting aspect of it for me was that their prices were not all that competitive.
I avoid Walmart.
Six months ago, it was predicted that electricity costs would go up.
Guess what? They went up. It's just that most are feeling the bite now because they are using AC.
IMHO, Publix not only does not suck, it is superior to many other grocery chains, and is competitively priced.

Probably true.
Saritaschihuahua, I sympathize with your situation.
Tally is not a world class city and never will be--I don't think its citizens aspire to that, nor should they.
You've ignored everything I've said and I get the feeling you just want to rant and be validated, so rant away, I'm done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 PM
 
7,247 posts, read 2,076,498 times
Reputation: 2676
Where do you live now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't understand? Why would you move to make 1/3 of the money!?


I think that it's a tradeoff, overall. Real estate/rents are cheaper in Tallahassee than where I live now, as is home insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 03:11 AM
 
57 posts, read 393,908 times
Reputation: 68
I grew up in South Florida, and there is no way that Tallahassee is more expensive. Real estate alone puts that comment to shame. I bought my house in Southwood for just over 250k. It is ovr 2200 sq ft, in a beautiful subdivision with great schools. There is no way you are going to get that in Miami anywhere. Miami public schools are not at the top of the list either, if you know what I mean.

Utilities do run a tad bit more, but like others have said, it includes water, sewer, fire, garbage. In south Florida you had a separate water bill, eletric bill, garbage bill, etc. In the end I think the natural gas is what brings it up, but it isn't too much more.

The organic thing is true, but remember it is all about supply and demand. Why would a store by 100 hears of organic broccoli if they can't sell it? Miami has much more demand and tons more people to buy. Have you tried The Fresh Market? And Publix is better in quality than any grocery store chain in Florida hands down! There is no one out there that is better!

And for someone who complains they can't find enough Organic, why would you care about McDonalds prices? You said you haven't eaten there in years, but you say the prices are high? Of course the price is higher than it was five years ago! There are lots of quick alternatives out there, it is just a matter of finding them. Most people who dislike Tallahassee don't know much about it, or are confined to one area. Go out one day and get lost. Explore the town or a new restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 AM
 
7,902 posts, read 5,336,308 times
Reputation: 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
I grew up in South Florida, and there is no way that Tallahassee is more expensive. Real estate alone puts that comment to shame. I bought my house in Southwood for just over 250k. It is ovr 2200 sq ft, in a beautiful subdivision with great schools. There is no way you are going to get that in Miami anywhere. Miami public schools are not at the top of the list either, if you know what I mean.

Utilities do run a tad bit more, but like others have said, it includes water, sewer, fire, garbage. In south Florida you had a separate water bill, eletric bill, garbage bill, etc. In the end I think the natural gas is what brings it up, but it isn't too much more.

The organic thing is true, but remember it is all about supply and demand. Why would a store by 100 hears of organic broccoli if they can't sell it? Miami has much more demand and tons more people to buy. Have you tried The Fresh Market? And Publix is better in quality than any grocery store chain in Florida hands down! There is no one out there that is better!

And for someone who complains they can't find enough Organic, why would you care about McDonalds prices? You said you haven't eaten there in years, but you say the prices are high? Of course the price is higher than it was five years ago! There are lots of quick alternatives out there, it is just a matter of finding them. Most people who dislike Tallahassee don't know much about it, or are confined to one area. Go out one day and get lost. Explore the town or a new restaurant.

Most people never get off Monroe or the Parkway, or the area around campus.


Then they come on this board and say things like "they only have Waffle Houses in Tallahassee, no decent restaurants." Etc.

What can you do. It took me 10 years to discover this place, and still every once in a while I will stumble on some part of Tallahassee hidden in a forest somewhere. 95% of the place goes unseen by the college student that lives here 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach - Flamingo Park
14,679 posts, read 15,957,832 times
Reputation: 6276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Where do you live now?

West Palm Beach.

I enjoy living in West Palm, and enjoyed my time in Tallahassee. If I could pick up Tallahassee and move it closer to a major airport, I might have considered staying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Tallahassee, FL
2 posts, read 1,961 times
Reputation: 10
Check this out: Slow Food Tallahassee Directory of Local Resources (http://www.slowfoodtallahassee.org/Directory.htm - broken link)

I also keep hearing rumors that Publix is going to build a Greenwise in the old Albertson's location on Tennessee and Ocala!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top