Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:20 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times

Advertisements

Are you finding that you can't get certain products? That the electric is outrageously expensive? That you like the trees, but they seem to block every store, house, sign, everything, giving you the feeling that you're living in a jungle? Or am I alone in this? I moved from Miami. There, I was able to obtain every kind of product. Here? I can't! I'm having to order things through the Internet, as if I lived far off in some mountain town. Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
heh
Hasn't electricity gone up everywhere?
I don't live in Tally, but I spent almost two years not far from there, and now I live north of Jax.
I have met so many transplanted South Floridians who struggle with culture shock when they get up here.
Seems like most of them adjust.
It reminds me a lot of when I lived in Denver and would run into disgruntled Californians who missed their Trader Joes or some other thing.
FWIW, I still order *some* stuff from the internet.
Or I just adapt and do without it.
The Mayport shrimp makes up for a lot. And where you live, you've got Apalachicola oysters just down the road.

PS I happen to love the trees very much, but that's just me

Old 07-05-2009, 07:41 AM

Sure. Electricity has gone up everywhere. The difference for me now is in Miami it was $65, and in Tally it's $295.

An organic broccoli (lucky I can find one here), is 3 times more expensive. There is no such thing as finding a can of atun from Spain. In Miami it was everywhere. No distributors, they say. The local natural food store is teensy weensy and even they have a flyer that says that unfortunately it's near impossible to find produce around Tally. In Miami, we were booming in organic produce everywhere.

The main Florida supermarket can't get distributors up here for lots of products so they advised me they can't carry them. I went to buy my hair dye here, and it's 25% higher. You want to get your nails done? Higher. Want to do anything? Higher.

I don't get it. This is a depressed area in terms of real estate. So is Miami. Why the high prices? Is it the lack of distributors? You'd think products had to go through tunnels and snowed-in mountain passes to get here, everything is so expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh
Hasn't electricity gone up everywhere?
I don't live in Tally, but I spent almost two years not far from there, and now I live north of Jax.
I have met so many transplanted South Floridians who struggle with culture shock when they get up here.
Seems like most of them adjust.
It reminds me a lot of when I lived in Denver and would run into disgruntled Californians who missed their Trader Joes or some other thing.
FWIW, I still order *some* stuff from the internet.
Or I just adapt and do without it.
The Mayport shrimp makes up for a lot. And where you live, you've got Apalachicola oysters just down the road.

PS I happen to love the trees very much, but that's just me

Old 07-05-2009, 01:28 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Sure. Electricity has gone up everywhere. The difference for me now is in Miami it was $65, and in Tally it's $295.

An organic broccoli (lucky I can find one here), is 3 times more expensive. There is no such thing as finding a can of atun from Spain. In Miami it was everywhere. No distributors, they say. The local natural food store is teensy weensy and even they have a flyer that says that unfortunately it's near impossible to find produce around Tally. In Miami, we were booming in organic produce everywhere.

The main Florida supermarket can't get distributors up here for lots of products so they advised me they can't carry them. I went to buy my hair dye here, and it's 25% higher. You want to get your nails done? Higher. Want to do anything? Higher.

I don't get it. This is a depressed area in terms of real estate. So is Miami. Why the high prices? Is it the lack of distributors? You'd think products had to go through tunnels and snowed-in mountain passes to get here, everything is so expensive!
Are you shure you are in Tallahassee? Maybe you made a wrong turn somewhere and are lost.

W. Allen Thompson, Mgr. Presents: Tallahassee's DowntownMarket.com,

Turkey Hill Farm - LocalHarvest

Downtown Farmers' and Produce Market
In the Ponce de Leon Park
111 South Monroe Street, Suite
March – November
Saturday, 8:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.

Tallahassee Farmers' Market
1415 Timberlane Road at Market Square
Tuesday, Thurdays and Saturdays, 8:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.
Year-Round

The Grower’s Market
229 Lake Ella Drive
Wednesdays, 3:00 P.M. to dusk
Year-Round

Old 07-05-2009, 03:54 PM

Default I am definitely in Tallahassee!

Maybe I just need someone to guide me around cheaper organic Tally? I'm going to look at what you sent me. Any other ideas, please send them. I'm a desperate woman trying to acclimate myself here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Are you shure you are in Tallahassee? Maybe you made a wrong turn somewhere and are lost.

W. Allen Thompson, Mgr. Presents: Tallahassee's DowntownMarket.com,

Turkey Hill Farm - LocalHarvest

Downtown Farmers' and Produce Market
In the Ponce de Leon Park
111 South Monroe Street, Suite
March – November
Saturday, 8:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.

Tallahassee Farmers' Market
1415 Timberlane Road at Market Square
Tuesday, Thurdays and Saturdays, 8:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.
Year-Round

The Grower’s Market
229 Lake Ella Drive
Wednesdays, 3:00 P.M. to dusk
Year-Round

Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 PM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Are you finding that you can't get certain products? That the electric is outrageously expensive? That you like the trees, but they seem to block every store, house, sign, everything, giving you the feeling that you're living in a jungle? Or am I alone in this? I moved from Miami. There, I was able to obtain every kind of product. Here? I can't! I'm having to order things through the Internet, as if I lived far off in some mountain town. Help?
Well that's what happens when you live in a city that's away from the populous areas of the state. The only help I can offer you (as I am from Central Florida) is to leave (if that's an option). The longer you stay, the more you will begin to see that alot of things (shopping, dining, recreation, transportation) that you've grown accustomed to in Miami (and various parts of the state) are lacking here. You'll hear that Tallahassee is a great place to raise children though. For the record, the utility rates are among the highest in the state.

What exactly are you looking for that 5 Wal-Marts can't satisfy?

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 07-05-2009 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 05:15 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Maybe I just need someone to guide me around cheaper organic Tally? I'm going to look at what you sent me. Any other ideas, please send them. I'm a desperate woman trying to acclimate myself here!
If you feel like getting out of town for a few hours here is an interesting place to go. Read their site.

I Can Grow, Inc. Farm Fresh Fruits and Vegetables - Cottondale, Florida (http://www.icangrow.org/home/homepage/ - broken link)

Old 07-06-2009, 04:36 AM

Thank you for confirming what I'd suspected. Now I don't feel like I'm going crazy. This is a Walmart-style town, and an outrageously expensive one at that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Well that's what happens when you live in a city that's away from the populous areas of the state. The only help I can offer you (as I am from Central Florida) is to leave (if that's an option). The longer you stay, the more you will begin to see that alot of things (shopping, dining, recreation, transportation) that you've grown accustomed to in Miami (and various parts of the state) are lacking here. You'll hear that Tallahassee is a great place to raise children though. For the record, the utility rates are among the highest in the state.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 AM

And by the way... leaving is not an option for the moment.

I'm sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post

Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:

All of your utilities are on one bill. It's not just electric, Moderator cut: rude
This isn't NYC. Tallahassee is a decent sized town but it is not a metropolis (thank God, that's why I live here). For its size, it is fairly cosmopolitian, but you can't expect to go out and get a fresh bialy at 3:00am either.

WE LIKE THE TREES. One of the things that makes this place different from other parts of Florida is the abundance of greenery and the LACK OF UGLY SIGNS. Move to Tampa if you want billboards all over the place.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by fauve; 07-17-2009 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Please try to be nice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee