Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,126,606 times

Advertisements

If your in Florida and need a job, or are considering moving to Florida; head up here to the state capital.

It is ranked nationally in the top 10 places to find a job in 2009.

Here is the article.

America's Best Places to Find a Job 2009 - US News and World Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 AM

bump

Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,344,321 times
No comment because it's not negative news. Sorry, you should've posted an article about how hot it was in Tallahassee to get a dozen pages of responses.

That being said, Tallahassee has had a lower than national average unemployment rate throughout the recession, due to edcuation, state, and other government related jobs. While it too had a housing bubble, the economy was not artifically inflated by construction and real estate related jobs, and now lower home prices make it an attractive place to live.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 AM

So, why dont people consider moving here?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:02 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,110,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
So, why dont people consider moving here?
I'm not sure I would want most of the people that post on this board to move here...

Tallahassee preserves the best elements of the Old South while shedding itself of the worst. Nevertheless because of its name and location, people assume all sorts of nonsense about this place.

Take for example the poster who consistently responds on Tallahassee threads that this place is rampant with ignorant rednecks, religious loonies and the only thing that passes for cuisine here is Waffle House.

Never mind we have more sushi bars than Waffle Houses, and the most educated population in the state....

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,889 times
I was born in Florida, I left for quite a few years ago. I moved back to Tallahasse 5 years ago, This is a very clean and beautiful city. But I have to disagree with Strel, this city IS full of Rednecks and religious loons, but no more than any other southern bible belt city . The restaurant selections here has a lot of issues. A high quality restaurant opens here then closes 6 months later. The oriental places here have a lot to be desired. As far as the intelligence level of the population, all you have to do is look at the number of Super Wal-Marts. There are 5 super Wal-Marts with in 10 miles of each other. There are approx. 175,00 people here. A major east coast city with a population of approx. 450,000 only has 3 stores. Whats wrong with this picture? Plus I have never met so many rude employees in my entire life. (i'm middle aged) The term customer service does not exist in Tallahassee.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,110,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadrone View Post
I was born in Florida, I left for quite a few years ago. I moved back to Tallahasse 5 years ago, This is a very clean and beautiful city. But I have to disagree with Strel, this city IS full of Rednecks and religious loons, but no more than any other southern bible belt city . The restaurant selections here has a lot of issues. A high quality restaurant opens here then closes 6 months later. The oriental places here have a lot to be desired. As far as the intelligence level of the population, all you have to do is look at the number of Super Wal-Marts. There are 5 super Wal-Marts with in 10 miles of each other. There are approx. 175,00 people here. A major east coast city with a population of approx. 450,000 only has 3 stores. Whats wrong with this picture? Plus I have never met so many rude employees in my entire life. (i'm middle aged) The term customer service does not exist in Tallahassee.
Well then they must hide when they see me coming, or else keep a low profile.

But then again I do not move in "those" circles. Nor do I have to in order to live here, which is my point....

Surprising that you do not know that Tallahassee has the highest per capita college graduation rate in the state (~50%), twice the national average and more than twice the Florida average...or that most of those people from Wal-Mart have Grady County, GA tags on their cars....we have so many because Tallahassee is geographically isolated - the surrounding rural areas support such a market because they all come into "town" to shop.

As for customer service, my experience has been exactly the opposite of yours. I find it much better here than ANYWHERE else in Florida.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,745,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
That being said, Tallahassee has had a lower than national average unemployment rate throughout the recession, due to edcuation, state, and other government related jobs. While it too had a housing bubble, the economy was not artifically inflated by construction and real estate related jobs, and now lower home prices make it an attractive place to live.
The government jobs frequently pay a lot less than what you can make in a similar private sector role in other cities. (Though if you can stick in the system for more than five years, you start to get some decent raises, and the state pension plan really can't be beat these days) And there have been some serious cuts in government spending in the area, both in general state government and in the state university system. FSU constantly has to play chicken with the legislature these days to maintain base funding, much less grow the school. (Last time around, they were talking about having to eliminate multiple departments and close branch campus if a particularly bad higher ed budget proposal was the one that made it to Charlie)

It's in better shape than a lot of places right now in the sense that it's less volatile than metros that rely more on tourism and construction, but there are still some state government structural issues that you have to be concerned with before heading towards there on I-10.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
I live in Jacksonville Florida right now and I am tired of living here. This place is like beach front property, it lures you in with its attractive features then the hurricane hits and your left thinking what was I thinking. 20 years later with a three year old and I want something better for my child. I am 1/2 Yankee and 1/2 Southern gal. I love the city but I love a great day of nothing but friends on a porch gabbing while making sun tea. Although, time has passed, I still find it shocking the amount of racism that exsists here. Is there very narrow minded people there as well overall? It has become an insane mad house when people that use to make $16.00 hourly are now fighting for McDonald jobs. I currently have 2 degrees under my belt within Medical Administration and Medical Assisting and I am hoping that your city might be a better fit for my family. I was just wondering how the medical job market is doing in your sector?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:24 AM

122 posts, read 401,174 times
I hate Tallahassee, and everyone who I known that lived over there hated it as well. Why aren't people moving there you ask? Because it sucks... that's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee