U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM

33 posts, read 46,818 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband & I are young professionals who will be starting a family in the next few years. I'm from a very liberal, beautiful but cold city in Minnesota, and that's where we're living now. My husband wants to move to Florida and I want to see if I can find a place with the right fit. Please help! Here's what we're looking for:

"Walkability" -- ie, We dislike strip malls, suburban type areas, and anything where you don't have a nice outdoorsy place or urban area to walk around in or go to restaurants, libraries, museums, etc
Affordable housing (we're trying for under $250,000)
Family friendly
Environmentally friendly
Mild weather
Hills... I don't like completely flat areas
Liberal attitude
A large body of water nearby, the ocean, a river, lakes, anything really.
Lots of green space and parks

To give you an idea, we lived in Portland, OR and St. Louis, MO for school and were happy with both of these cities as far as liberal attitude, walkability, hills, bodies of water, and affordability are concerned. I work in Medicine and he works in Physical Therapy and so we would also need a place with job opportunities in these fields.

Are there any cities in Florida that may fit some or all of these criteria? If not, we're going to have to look at Colorado or California as alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,939,385 times
For Tallahassee evaluation...

"Walkability" -- ie, We dislike strip malls, suburban type areas, and anything where you don't have a nice outdoorsy place or urban area to walk around in or go to restaurants, libraries, museums, etc (not walkable whatsoever, full of strip malls, 5 walmarts, etc... downtown is not very happening)
Affordable housing (we're trying for under $250,000) (check)
Family friendly (check)
Environmentally friendly (check, Tallahassee is pretty green, lots of public parks)
Mild weather (not mild)
Hills... I don't like completely flat areas (hilly for Florida, but not really)
Liberal attitude (around the university sure, outside is very conservative, Tallahassee is pretty socially moderate but votes Democrat)
A large body of water nearby, the ocean, a river, lakes, anything really. (10-30 mins to decent rivers/lakes, hour to decent beach)
Lots of green space and parks (check)

To give you an idea, we lived in Portland, OR and St. Louis, MO for school and were happy with both of these cities as far as liberal attitude, walkability, hills, bodies of water, and affordability are concerned. I work in Medicine and he works in Physical Therapy and so we would also need a place with job opportunities in these fields.

Tallahassee is a long shot from Portland, and much smaller than both, good 5 hours from a city of comparable size (atlanta/orlando/tampa/new orleans)... maybe you should look into sarasota...

Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 PM

3,644 posts, read 3,672,237 times
My firsthand knowledge of Tallahassee is many years out of date but I did go to college there.

"Walkability": I thought it was very walkable but that was mostly the area around the college. There is a bit of downtown but I seem to remember it being dead after 5 PM

Affordable housing: There is a lots of land so I'm sure its affordable.
Family friendly: Yes. Good conservative family-friendly values.
Environmentally friendly: The water adn the air were clean. Like the previous poster said, they have nice parks there. There are wilderness trails outside the city.
Mild weather: Very mild conpared to most of the country. One winter it snowed for a day but the snow melted before it hit the ground. Leaves fall off most of the trees, unlike the rest of Florida.
Hills... I don't like completely flat areas: Hills it has. It also has lots of Miami college students that don't know to leave space between them and the car in front of them on the hill in case its a stick shift and will roll back a foot or so when the light turns green. Stupid people... but I digress.
Liberal attitude: I didn't see any liberal attitude (thank goodness) but that may have changed ove the years. Like the previous poster said, it votes Democrat but that's largely due to the large black population in some sections of the city.
A large body of water nearby, the ocean, a river, lakes, anything really.: Lots of lakes, rivers, and the Gulf of Mexico is only about 45 minutes away.
Lots of green space and parks: Good parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee