Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 18,533 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone --

Many thanks to TD and FSU Mike for the information.

CA Gringo, we just left San Francisco in June after living there for three years; we miss it TONS but just couldn't afford to stay. We realize Tallahassee is not San Francisco, but in this economy going where there is a job, and where it is affordable, had to be our priority.

We're leaning toward renting in Arbor Station and looking around at neighborhoods with the intention to buy something (hopefully) in a year or so. And then if we're lucky we won't have to move again for a LONG time.

I continue to welcome ideas for cool things to do, good neighborhoods to check out, etc.

As far as airports, I didn't really want this to become an airport discussion, but I will say I've heard people drive to Atlanta or Jax to pick up flights there.

Thanks again --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:11 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Well, what is your housing budget?

Banyan Club? (or something similar) is a nice apartment complex off of Micosukee that has income restriction (can't make more than a certain amount of money). Check that out, as it's a good central location.

If you have a better budget, I suggest Southwood for families with kids. I would have loved to live there as a kid with the town center, big central park lake, and community water park pool.

Tallahassee has a little art district called "Railroad Square" that you might want to check out.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 14,987 times
I've been looking at apartments and think that Plantations at Pine Lake is a nice apartment complex. Not expensive and not cheap. Good location, near Killearn, near I-10. Also, check out the apartmentratings.com website for reviews of the various apartments. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 AM

33 posts, read 78,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
and Greenways! Great for Biking, Hiking, Horseback riding. Miccosukee Greenway Jl Alford Greenway.

You will not want to live near Downtown or the Universities, this is where the students live.

Try the Midtown areas

Betton Hills (expensive)

Killearn,

Lakeshore Area

People are what makes a place, and the people here are the best Ive ever found. You have such a variety of interests and cultures, from liberals to alternative lifestyle, you will find somewhere to fit in.

Tallahassee Restaurants that are favorites are Food Glorious Food, Masa by Lucie Hoes, some others..

The community is progressive in pretty much every area. We are progressive in our green initiative and our environmental standards.
This reply was very helpful. Does everyone drive everywhere they are going in Tallahassee? Where are the neighborhoods that are walkable or bike friendly, if any? Do you see a lot of people out walking or biking on the street? How about in the summertime? Is it bearable enough to walk and do activities outside besides swimming? To the OP: These seemed like questions that might interest you and I'd like to know as well. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 AM

729 posts, read 1,300,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
In my opinion, the airport is not practical for middle class Tallahasseeans. With no discount carriers, your choices are limited to Delta, UA, and Continental. Only other major cities with direct is Charlotte, Washington DC, Atlanta, and now Dallas. Most citizens determine it is cheaper to drive to Jacksonville to fly out. And with the opening of the new international airport in Panama City, Tallahassee Regional will just get worse! I read somewhere that air traffic at the airport is down!

Tallahassee would be a near perfect city with a quality airport. I love living here, but it really does hold us back. It is a nice airport as far as quickness and parking, but the price is just too much. It is a shame that don't get Jetblue, Airtran, or Southwest to come in.
Tallahassee doesn't have a problem getting discount carriers, they have a problem keeping them. When they come in, the competitors (Delta) simply lower their price and eventually, the discount carrier(s) leave. I've seen it happen.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:35 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielE View Post
This reply was very helpful. Does everyone drive everywhere they are going in Tallahassee? Where are the neighborhoods that are walkable or bike friendly, if any? Do you see a lot of people out walking or biking on the street? How about in the summertime? Is it bearable enough to walk and do activities outside besides swimming? To the OP: These seemed like questions that might interest you and I'd like to know as well. Thanks!
Yes, we are an outdoorsy city, you will see people walking, biking, and enjoying the outdoors here.

Walkable communities..

Southwood.

Betton Hills.

Waverly Hills

Almost any neighborhood is "walkable"

Are you talking about walkable to amenities?

IN the summer, we don't stop everyone is outside. You just know that you are going to sweat, and a lot. But its ok because its good for you to sweat.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:59 PM

33 posts, read 78,507 times

By "walkable" I mean safe, peaceful, and enjoyable to walk in, and yes, walkable to amenities would be nice.

For example: I wouldn't consider a suburban neighborhood surrounded by large, busy intersections without sidewalks to be enjoyable or even safe to walk in because you could only walk around the suburb and not GO anywhere easily just by walking or biking.
Does anyone bike or walk to get around or is it just for the exercise/being outdoors. There's nothing wrong with this, but the distinction says a lot about whether this is mostly a car oriented city or whether it is also oriented towards safety/accessibility for pedestrians and bikers (and people who don't have cars) as well.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielE View Post

By "walkable" I mean safe, peaceful, and enjoyable to walk in, and yes, walkable to amenities would be nice.

For example: I wouldn't consider a suburban neighborhood surrounded by large, busy intersections without sidewalks to be enjoyable or even safe to walk in because you could only walk around the suburb and not GO anywhere easily just by walking or biking.
Does anyone bike or walk to get around or is it just for the exercise/being outdoors. There's nothing wrong with this, but the distinction says a lot about whether this is mostly a car oriented city or whether it is also oriented towards safety/accessibility for pedestrians and bikers (and people who don't have cars) as well.
Very much car oriented in that respect.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
Yes people bike to work here, we are designated a bike friendly community.. But to get anywhere since the city is pretty spread out, you will most likely need a car or to take the bus most of the time unless you like to bike to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee