Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 68,091 times

Advertisements

I will be attending FSU in the fall as a grad student and I need some help with housing in Tallahassee. Honestly, I have never seen worse apartment ratings online for more apartment complexes in one city than the ones I have found while looking for something affordable to rent as a graduate student in Tallahassee. Since I don’t plan on hosting keg parties on Monday nights, I seem to be out of luck with most apartments that are within walking or biking distance of the school. One hope I have is the possibility of Alumni Village being a good fit based on reviews since it fits the criteria of being graduate student focused, relatively inexpensive and on the bus line.
If you have lived or are living in Alumni Village at Florida State, please let me know honestly how you would rate the living situation there. I will be heading up to Tallahassee in the next month for my program’s open house and to house hunt and any advice I can get from anyone on Alumni Village (Good or Bad) or any other suggestions for reasonable housing in Tallahassee would be great. By reasonable I mean geared more toward actual adults not undergraduates, safe, close to or on a bus line, and costing less than an arm and a leg.
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,366 times
You can't always take those ratings seriously. The majority of people that post on those websites are people with an axe to grind about an issue that is beyond the fault of the property manager's. The best way to get a feel for a complex is to check it out yourself. Go on the weekend when people are home and engaged in activity; you can usually gather the type of clientele a complex has that way.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM

that is a very good point and i totally agree, but i have just been surprised by the consistency of how bad some of the ratings are. i will make sure to take that into consideration when i make my final choice.

thanks!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:30 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Alumni Village. It's cheap. For me to say whether it's a "good choice" for you depends on your expectations.

For example, some of the units are air conditioned, some are not.

It's safe enough I'm sure. Even though it's surrounded by not so nice neighborhoods, Alumni Village is gated. TONS of foreign grad students live there.

It's...yeah...visit first and see if you can handle it.

Honestly if you're just a single guy, I'm sure it would be fine, especially if you're just there for a year and then find something else when you get to know the town better.

However, my wife and I considered Alumni Village (for about ten seconds) when we moved back to Tally for grad school, and it wasn't up to the woman's standards.

To each his own though, check it out.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Do they still come furnished? I remember I had a friend that had one furnished in the late 90s and it had some cool 1960s looking chairs in the place.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 PM

as a single girl, safety is my first concern for sure, cheap is good, but not at the cost of a good night's sleep for sure.
they are still furnished according to the website. i will make sure to visit them when i get up to tallahassee but also check out some other apartments in the area.
thanks!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a girl. I'm gonna go ahead and predict that you will not like Alumni Village.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your budget? I might be able to help you out cus I know Tallahassee very well.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 AM

i am trying to stay under 700 and what made me really like the idea of alumni village was that it's right on the bus route for Florida State and based on what I have experienced in terms of parking at UCF where I am currently attending and the times I have been tallahassee, I would like to avoid having to fight for parking on Florida State's campus. However, since I am a graduate student, I am really not that interested in the same housing that undergraduates want, right by the stadium.

Yes, any and all suggestions on good apartments would be great. I have been checking out craigslist to get some ideas, but I am basically going on a shot in the dark!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,394 times
Default Alumni Village

If safety is your first concern, you should look elsewhere. It is located south of campus in a, uh ... not so nice part of town. I haven't been inside the complex in about 10 years, but the only way they could have improved it is if they demolished and rebuilt, or somehow loaded it up on a huge truck and moved it elsewhere in town.

One of the downsides of FSU is that some of the surrounding neighborhoods aren't very nice or safe. I would check for non-student oriented apartments or townhouse rentals on the north side of town, for example, and see what you can find.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
What about getting a roommate is that an option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: