Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 PM

269 posts, read 605,161 times

Advertisements

I think about one thing, how is boating in Tampa Bay?

Lets say that i live around St Pete Beach & Treasure Island. Where to go if i own a boat?

Is it just fun to drive around or is there any places that is possible and fun to go?

If i own a boat in the area, I have bin thinking about trips to Egmont Key or taking the boat to downtown Tampa.

Any other suggestions?

Is it possible somewhere to just tie up the boat, walking around a little and go back everywhere or are there limitations? does parking your boat cost money even if it is only for a few hours?

How much does it cost to have a place for the boat in the west side of St Petersburg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM

17 posts, read 48,253 times
I'm bumping, because we are also interested in this aspect of Tampa. Hopefully some of the excellent posters I have come to respect on this board will know. We will probably be moving to Tampa next summer & are avid boaters (wakeboarding, etc.) We are wondering the same things too!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:59 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,723,724 times
The Tampa Bay area is one of the best areas in the country for boating.

Boating Magazine had an article called 10 best places to live and boat. They used a scorecard, and of the 10 best cities, Tampa Bay was the only place to recieve a 5 in all categories. Boatne.ws also had a top 5 list of best boating places to live. Tampa Bay ranked 4th.

Boating magazine on Tampa Bay
Scorecard (scale of 1-5)
Waterfront Availability: 5
Ease for Boaters: 5
Strong Boat-Related Business: 5
Number of Good Boating Days: 5

10 Best Places to Live And Boat | Boating Magazine
The 5 Best Boat Cities to Live In (in the US) - Best BoatNe.ws

So this is obviously a great place to own a boat. We have the Gulf, the Bay, intercoastals, numerous rivers, lakes, inlets, and estuaries, and even reefs for diving and fishing.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,083,432 times
Yeah... I think I may need to get myself a boat before an RV. Its amazing how much more boat you can but for the money in Florida compared to here.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
The Tampa Bay area is one of the best areas in the country for boating.

Boating Magazine had an article called 10 best places to live and boat. They used a scorecard, and of the 10 best cities, Tampa Bay was the only place to recieve a 5 in all categories. Boatne.ws also had a top 5 list of best boating places to live. Tampa Bay ranked 4th.

Boating magazine on Tampa Bay
Scorecard (scale of 1-5)
Waterfront Availability: 5
Ease for Boaters: 5
Strong Boat-Related Business: 5
Number of Good Boating Days: 5

10 Best Places to Live And Boat | Boating Magazine
The 5 Best Boat Cities to Live In (in the US) - Best BoatNe.ws

So this is obviously a great place to own a boat. We have the Gulf, the Bay, intercoastals, numerous rivers, lakes, inlets, and estuaries, and even reefs for diving and fishing.
That looks like a good sign.

I had boat before in Sweden, however. We only have about four month per year when you can use it so i dont have it anymore.

When i had a boat here, i used to travel between islands.
Here it is free to tie up the boat on all islands. Is it the same over in Tampa Bay?. I read about the short term "parking" in St Pete Marina. However, does itt cost as well on Egmont Key for example?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:21 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,056,040 times
There are some islands in the gulf where you can anchor and then walk to the island. One is beer can island and another one is Caladesi. There are also spoil islands on the intercoastal but if you have a deep draft you won't be able to get too close to them, I don't know of any place that charges you to dock but that doesn't mean they aren't around. You can boat to a few restaurants in Tampa Bay. I know a couple of ppl who use to go to restaurants for happy hour.

Depending on the size of the boat you will have to store it someplace. Most housing communities do not let you park a boat at your house and if it is really big most condos/apts won't let you park it there either. You can dry dock it at a marina cheaper than docking at a marina unless you have a large boat you really won't want to spend the money to do that. It was several hundred dollars a month when we checked many years ago. There are places you can join and rent a speed boat or a sailboat. Most places where you put in your boat on a trailer do not charge for parking or launching your boat.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
There are some islands in the gulf where you can anchor and then walk to the island. One is beer can island and another one is Caladesi. There are also spoil islands on the intercoastal but if you have a deep draft you won't be able to get too close to them, I don't know of any place that charges you to dock but that doesn't mean they aren't around. You can boat to a few restaurants in Tampa Bay. I know a couple of ppl who use to go to restaurants for happy hour.

Depending on the size of the boat you will have to store it someplace. Most housing communities do not let you park a boat at your house and if it is really big most condos/apts won't let you park it there either. You can dry dock it at a marina cheaper than docking at a marina unless you have a large boat you really won't want to spend the money to do that. It was several hundred dollars a month when we checked many years ago. There are places you can join and rent a speed boat or a sailboat. Most places where you put in your boat on a trailer do not charge for parking or launching your boat.
That was good information. I saw a boat dock behind Cicis pizzeria on one of the islands, i think it was Madeira Beach. Then i started to think about how it would be to take the boat to the restaurant.

However, the place that i have bought has not direct access to water and a own boatslip by the door is out of my league at the moment.
However, i have five minutes from my door to treasure island so it is not so far even though it is not directly on the water.
I do have a designated parking space but i do not know if i can park a boat there. the space is not so wide as i can recall it...

Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 AM

817 posts, read 2,241,165 times
I just bought an 18 foot boat last summer and have had a ton of fun with my family on it. Here's some stuff you can do, depending on your boat size...

1-I trailer my boat and store it at a "u-store" type place for 50 bucks a month
2-Islands-Beer Can Island (maps will show it as Pine Island Key or something like that) is a good place to go to hang out. It can get crowded on weekends. Egmont Key is a popular destination. Caladesi is really pretty. Passage Key is just a tidal sandbar/island now but might be worth a look...if you're ok with nudists.
3-Hillsborough River-Ricks on the River is a somewhat famous local boating destination
4-Lake Tarpon-AWESOME for tubing
5-Scalloping season runs from July to October. Best places to go for this are around the mouth of Crystal River
5-There are some lakes over near Winter Haven that are great for tubing and skiiing. Google "Chain of Lakes"
6-Tampa Bay itself can be safe...or can turn and get rough REAL quick. Checking weather is important to make sure you're getting safe.
7-If you like parties, boating to Shepherd's in Clearwater Beach is great

I'd be curious to hear other's sweet spots, etc. I've never taken my boat on the intracoastal in Pinellas...would love to hear more about that.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:47 AM

789 posts, read 1,850,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I just bought an 18 foot boat last summer and have had a ton of fun with my family on it. Here's some stuff you can do, depending on your boat size...

5-Scalloping season runs from July to October. Best places to go for this are around the mouth of Crystal River
That's interesting; I just went on a Bay EcoTour 2 weeks ago at the Tampa Aquarium and they noted that in 2005 only two scallops were found in the Bay and 53 in 2008. Obviously the bay is recovering, but still nowhere near ready to harvest scallops.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,083,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post

1-I trailer my boat and store it at a "u-store" type place for 50 bucks a month
2-Islands-Beer Can Island (maps will show it as Pine Island Key or something like that) is a good place to go to hang out. It can get crowded on weekends. Egmont Key is a popular destination. Caladesi is really pretty. Passage Key is just a tidal sandbar/island now but might be worth a look...if you're ok with nudists.
3-Hillsborough River-Ricks on the River is a somewhat famous local boating destination
4-Lake Tarpon-AWESOME for tubing
5-There are some lakes over near Winter Haven that are great for tubing and skiiing. Google "Chain of Lakes"
6-Tampa Bay itself can be safe...or can turn and get rough REAL quick. Checking weather is important to make sure you're getting safe.
7-If you like parties, boating to Shepherd's in Clearwater Beach is great

I'd be curious to hear other's sweet spots, etc. I've never taken my boat on the intracoastal in Pinellas...would love to hear more about that.

We have a 19 footer Hewes Craft Sea Runner that we use for Halibut Fishing and Dip Netting up here in Alaska. I have a family of 5 and although it is little crowded for fishing at times it works. I would like a larger boat, one that has a galley and a cabin to sleep in. I have been looking at 30' or so boats in the Tampa Area and many seem to have what I am looking for. Is this too big of a boat to take to most places? Obviously it would be left in a Marina... too big to be hauling back an forth....especially since I will not have a tow vehicle capable of pulling that large of a vessel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay