Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times

Advertisements

You've clearly never been in Culbreath Isles, Culbreath Bayou, Beach Park, Swann Circle, Belmar Shores, and the middle-class neighborhoods of Virginia Park, Palma Ceia West, Sunset Park, Fair Oaks, Guernsey Estates, and the like.

You're right, you can't compare the uniform and consistent manicured beauty of Westchase since that is sterile and unrealistic. Your comment about not stepping foot in South Tampa can go two ways: you either believe there is a significant amount of crime in South Tampa, which there is not; or you have a ridiculous snob factor that isn't warranted at all.

Read some of my posts on this website and you'll see that I give constructive criticism and realistic descriptions of places. I'm not afraid to recognize and admit the flaws and qualities of any neighborhood, whether it be South Tampa or College Hill. What you're saying about South Tampa may be your opinion, but it is still possible to have an entirely misinformed opinion on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 PM

13 posts, read 29,966 times
I am quite familiar with those areas; notice that I mentioned only a few neighborhoods that are nice and put an "ETC." in my post (indicating there are others). In fact, my cousin lives in Culbreath Isles and that is one of those "ETC." neighborhoods in South Tampa where there is, as you yourself put it, "uniform and consistent manicured beauty."
I am not going to get into a neighborhood by neighborhood debate with you, but like I said previously, most of South Tampa is hit-or-miss and MANY South Tampa neighborhoods have extremely DECREPIT homes/upkeep (Beach Park and Sunset Park included). In fact, there is a disgustingly dilapidated house in the heart of Beach Park on Rosemere. Really ugly EYESORE on what is otherwise a nice street. This happens all over South Tampa, in some areas more than others, which draws in crime and lowers property values.
I am not saying that Westchase is perfect. But you will not find eyesores like that in Westchase.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
The reason you don't find eyesores in Westchase is because they have HOAs that you pay for every month. Most S. Tampa nabes do not have HOA that tell them what color to paint their house or if they can park their car in their driveway.

Many ppl don't like Westchase because most houses have no yards and the houses are close together. Trying to get out of Westchase at rush hour is also headache.

Sorry but I also disagree with you about S. Tampa. Making generalized statements that all of S. Tampa is decrepit is disingenuous. Each area has good and bad issues.

Not everyone wants 'cookie cutter' homes even expensive ones. Not everyone wants an older home even if it is on Tampa Bay.

I like both areas but that doesn't mean you have to like them too.

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:28 PM

13 posts, read 29,966 times
I appreciate you explaining to me what an opinion is. But rest assured that since I am an opinion columnist for a daily newspaper, I am well-versed in the definitions. I did not "pounce" on anyone, nor did I ever say that ALL of South Tampa is decrepit. I said that MANY parts of South Tampa are decrepit. Which is the TRUTH, and not in fact an opinion.

I did a driving tour of South Tampa this morning and just in 5 minutes I saw:

An 18-wheeler parked on the front lawn of a house on the 1700 block of Lois Ave. In addition to this, there is also moldy trash thrown on the grass, a boat sitting on the FRONT lawn in disrepair, etc.

On the 4000 block of Rosemere there is a tear-down with weeds the size of my 8 yr old nephew and about 10-12 feral cats living on the property.

4000 block of Culbreath has a house where the owners have turned the front lawn into a dumping ground for cardboard, old furniture, and I don't know how many old birdbaths.

The 3000 block of Sevilla: Hasn't been mowed in what looks like months, 4 cars parked on the lawn, about 30 wet newspapers sit on the driveway.

None of this would be permitted in a community in Westchase or New Tampa (thank God).

The OP wanted to find a community in Tampa Bay that is similair to New Tampa, and is looking at Westchase. It is my OPINION that Westchase, with its uniformity and consistency, more closely resembles New Tampa than South Tampa does (which is what someone else suggested he/she look at).

In addition, I have nothing against South Tampa. Many of my family members live there and I own a rental property there (in Sunset Park). [As a matter of fact, the ranch house next to my rental ranch house is a complete dump, and this is a million-dollar neighborhood!] I am simply stating the facts. South Tampa has a lot going for it (proximity), and it also has a lot of negatives (decrepit areas). So does Westchase (-: HOA hell, +: nicely maintained). But in terms of being "like New Tampa," the facts are that South Tampa is hit-or-miss in terms of property maintenance/aesthetics, while Westchase is not.

If the OP is looking for New Tampa but closer to Tampa, Westchase is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay