U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 103,154 times

Advertisements

So, I've done a search and found lots of stuff about RN wages. But I can't really find anything regarding LPN wages. I'm considering a move to the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area, and wondering how much I might expect to make per hour. I'll be living in Safety Harbor but would be willing to commute a reasonable distance. I'd probably end up getting some sort of long-term-care (nursing home/rehab) job or possibly homecare. I've got 5 years of experience. I've heard that nurses generally aren't paid as well as they are in other parts of the country, but I've also had people tell me that LPN's make about what I make here in Cincinnati (20ish per hour).

Any input? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 AM

598 posts, read 1,521,353 times
I took a quick look on Salary.com. It says the average for the Tampa Bay area is $41K with seemingly much more opportunity in Long-Term Care than hospitals who are on hiring freezes. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I took a quick look on Salary.com. It says the average for the Tampa Bay area is $41K with seemingly much more opportunity in Long-Term Care than hospitals who are on hiring freezes. Good luck!

I checked there, too, and was very encouraged because that's about what I make here. But that would mean 21-22/hr, and everyone I've talked to who actually lives there or knows someone who is a nurse there says its really not anywhere close to that! I've heard that RN's start around 21/hr and for LPN's it's more like 14-16/hr. Maybe the lower numbers are for new grads and I'd make a little more since I've got a little experience? I dunno.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:58 PM

749 posts, read 2,099,611 times
My g/f just got an LPN job up here in Citrus County. She too has about 5 years exp. She asked for $18 and the interviewer came back an said "how about $20?' She was getting $19.75 in MI after 2 years in the same place. So much for the fallacy that FL wages suck. No state or city taxes taken out either.

And BTW, I know it costs her about $300 to get a FL liscense. $50 of it went to the State of MI to verify the MI liscense, but the State of FL knocked off $80 because she had a previous FL liscense. They also wanted a CPR verification and a valid FL driver's liscense ( about $50).

Last edited by 1coolcustomer; 06-14-2010 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Hmm...well that's encouraging to hear. And thanks for the info about the licensure. I had completely forgotton about having to get a FL license .

Old 07-19-2010, 05:07 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,904,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
My g/f just got an LPN job up here in Citrus County. She too has about 5 years exp. She asked for $18 and the interviewer came back an said "how about $20?' She was getting $19.75 in MI after 2 years in the same place. So much for the fallacy that FL wages suck. No state or city taxes taken out either.

And BTW, I know it costs her about $300 to get a FL liscense. $50 of it went to the State of MI to verify the MI liscense, but the State of FL knocked off $80 because she had a previous FL liscense. They also wanted a CPR verification and a valid FL driver's liscense ( about $50).
Wages in Florida for most jobs are very low. However, there is a big nursing shortage in Florida, more than in most states. BTW, I was in the hospital in May for 5 days and almost every nurse I had was an LPN. Just an observation. I don't know why.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM

119 posts, read 226,795 times
I'm an RN with 18yrs experience, 17 in Labor/Delivery. Just moved here a month ago from IN and totally took a pay cut of 6 bucks an hour....good thing this is where I wanted to be, but damn that was a chunk!!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 14,446 times
I moved here 2yrs ago from MO. I am a LPN with 13 yrs experience. LPN jobs are EXTREMELY hard to find in FL!! They will range in the $13-16 area. About the only thing you are going to find is some nursing home jobs, maybe some doctors offices and very few in the small hospitals. There is a "nursing shortage" but they only want RN's and most of the large hospitals tell you when they talk to you that you will have a limited amount of time to get your BSN because they consider that the "minimum for good care" here (or so I was told by HR at a large hospital in Tampa) The cost of living is probably close to double down here though. My rent sky rocketed from $800 3bd/2bth house to $1200 for the same size place, about 1600sq ft. Dont even consider buying, the taxes and insurance for sink holes is outragous! It takes about 8-12 weeks and $300 to get your FL nursing license. I wish that I had done more research before I moved. I wouldn't be typing this now.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc2007 View Post
I moved here 2yrs ago from MO. I am a LPN with 13 yrs experience. LPN jobs are EXTREMELY hard to find in FL!! They will range in the $13-16 area. About the only thing you are going to find is some nursing home jobs, maybe some doctors offices and very few in the small hospitals. There is a "nursing shortage" but they only want RN's and most of the large hospitals tell you when they talk to you that you will have a limited amount of time to get your BSN because they consider that the "minimum for good care" here (or so I was told by HR at a large hospital in Tampa) The cost of living is probably close to double down here though. My rent sky rocketed from $800 3bd/2bth house to $1200 for the same size place, about 1600sq ft. Dont even consider buying, the taxes and insurance for sink holes is outragous! It takes about 8-12 weeks and $300 to get your FL nursing license. I wish that I had done more research before I moved. I wouldn't be typing this now.
If you can deal with the winters - which are not horrible - you may want to try Alberta. According to the 2011 Alberta Wage and Salary Survey, Albertans in the Licensed Practical Nurses occupational group earned on average from $22.85 to $29.90 an hour. The mean wage for this group was $26.45 an hour.

Plus shift differential and OT.

BTW, today my thermometer in the shade sat at 98 degrees. Yeah, it can get hot here too, and most homes don't have air.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,758 times
i am moving in june and i am an lpn, has the job market gotten better in tampa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or