Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,045 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom of two kids (12 & 14). Right now we live in Miami but we are tired of the heavy traffic, rudness and house prices.

We want to move to the Gulf Coast but need a place with "A" schools, affordable houses in a good neighborhood but still close to stores, some mall (mostly for my daughter), etc.

Job is not an issue since "it will move with me".

We went to Cape Coral and is ok but I'm not 100% convinced.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,347 times
I wouldn't base too much upon Florida's school grades, as they are not a true standard of education. Florida "School Grades" are a measurement of how well a school teaches for test results. Look for high schools with excellent track records in percentages of graduating students who go on to higher education versus the grading game.

Check out Clearwater in Pinellas County. Clearwater Countryside High School has a good reputation and its school district (NE Clearwater) is a nice family-friendly environment. Countryside High School

Clearwater is centrally located in Pinellas County and provides easy access to Tampa, St Petersburg and the beaches. Clearwater Relocation Information - Clearwater Regional Chamber of Commerce, Clearwater, Florida

Countryside Mall is one of the better malls in the state. Westfield - Countryside Shopping Mall

You'll find Clearwater housing refreshingly affordable. The traffic congestion is much less than what you're accustomed to and as a result....people are friendlier.

*** Born and raised in South Florida (25 years), moving to Pinellas County this year from the NE US.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 AM

48 posts, read 160,233 times
I agree. I live in the area, my son went to Clearwater HS (didn't graduate, but it was him, not them). Clearwater/Dunedin/Palm Harbor/Safety Harbor/Oldsmar... very nice place to live. I expect you'll like it way better than Miami.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:22 PM

7 posts, read 9,862 times
Our family lives in New Port Richey. We have two kids, one in middle school and one in elementary. We have loved the elementary school -Deer Park (great Gifted Program) and have been happy with River Ridge Middle School. We decided to move into this area ten years ago because the taxes were a bit less than Pinellas and we found a home that wasn't in a flood zone. In Pinellas you may run into some issues with home owners insurance and pay extra if your home is in a flood zone. Both New Port Richey and Pinellas County are close to beaches, parks and a quick commute into Tampa or St. Pete.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM

39 posts, read 110,803 times
Watch out for oil!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay