Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

ok is insurance more in Pinellas or Hillsborough? perfect drving recordfs just wondering as they wont tell me over the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Insurance companies based rates on your specific zip code rather than your county. . .

Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM

so does anyone have that secret information.. say 33764 or 33765 vs 33615 or 33607. I dont see why they can't tell you over the phone, unless you live there or renewing the policy

Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
They should tell you a quote. If you want to compare many of them check AAA. In my case, AAA couldn't beat what I have. I am just checking now as I am up for renewal.

I just got my renewal notice from progressive 6 month for two cars full coverage $745 after a $190 discount for full payment, which comes out $62/month per car . That sounds great to me. No where near what some make Florida insurance insane.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM

cant do full pmts- doing ok with Direct- just planning a move and wonder it was going to bite me in the tail to ret to Hillsborough county

Old 05-17-2013, 11:40 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
You're smart to have thought to check this out in advance; I'm sorry that your insurance agency isn't being more helpful.

A few years back when I relocated (briefly) from Southwest Florida to Boca Raton, my rate almost doubled (same car and driving record--only the location was different). It could have gone even higher if I'd moved to certain zip codes rather than the one I did, so I was glad I had phoned my insurance company in advance and gotten this rate info (for several example zip codes in the new area) before I looked for a place to live.

More recently, I called just to ask about a few different zip codes in a few areas of Florida I'm considering relocating to (knew certain areas would be higher than others but wanted to make sure none of the areas I'm considering would shoot it sky high).

Both times, I was on the phone with the agency staff for 5-10 minutes. The first time the employee acted like he was doing me a huge favor; the second time the woman was really sweet and personable and "happy to do it anytime." But in both cases, it was easy for them to do, while I was on the phone--pull up my existing account on the computer, type in the new zip code I gave them, read the new premium cost off the screen to me--not a major research project.

If you didn't ask them to run a comparison based on specific zip codes before, I would call again and ask them to do that. If you just said, "Is my insurance going to be much more expensive in Hillsborough than Pinellas?" the person you were talking to may have just not known how to help you without liability for themselves (because they'd be guessing, somewhat, to answer in general rather than for a specific zip code and might guess wrong).

If you've already asked them to run a "what-if" scenario for a few different zip codes and they've refused, I would call again and simply ask the question again (you may get a different person who will help you).

If they're not willing to help, ask to speak to the owner (or, if more applicable, a supervisor). Say that you've been happy as a customer and don't want to make a change, but that this is important info you need and you just want to verify with someone higher up that there really is no way they can think of to help you with this. If the employee is just being lazy, they'll probably help you at this point; if they really are under instructions not to spend 5-10 minutes to help a customer in this way, move on to the owner/supervisor.

If the owner/supervisor won't help, mention that you know that this is something other companies routinely do and, as you've always had good experiences with them in the past, you're just surprised to learn that they would not want to offer the same type of customer service as their competitors. Are they sure they couldn't possibly help, because this is really important to you, and as a customer with a perfect driving record, you've taken up very little of their time in the past, so maybe they could consider going a little out of their way for you now even if it's not something they normally do?

If they still won't help, they don't deserve your business. Go to a competitor for a quote and, when you move, switch to the competitor if the quote is reasonable and the company is solid.

But I wouldn't expect them to do more than a few zip codes as hypotheticals (I asked for three or four). Doing a few of what you think are the most likely zip codes you'd move to should give you some idea for now. Then, before you sign a lease, you can call again for that actual zip code.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Good to know about this, City Datarer.

And it doesn't sound reasonable to me, unless they go by the # of claims in each county.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
I guess I am struggling to understand how one decides where to live using a car insurance quote.

Your quote also depends on how much you travel back and forth from work each day more so than which zip code you are going to live (simple to proof this with a limit theory, lol). Then you have a gas and car expense to figure out for each zip code. Then you have the commute itself. I don't know......

Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
I'm not an insurance agent, so maybe others have a different experience (maybe companies vary on this?), but when I've changed jobs (changed the distance I've driven to work), it's always made only a miniscule difference in my rate (I'm guessing, but maybe 5% or less change in my premium). But on several occasions, moving has caused a much more significant increase or decrease (as I mentioned in my previous post, in one case my insurance nearly doubled--what was my annual premium became, approximately, my six-month premium).

It's obviously not the only factor (or even one of the main factors) to consider, and of course, people's situations vary as to whether they would want/need to consider it at all.

But I think in cases where someone is trying to calculate cost of living to compare areas and is on a tight budget (and where all those areas would work more or less equally well for them with respect to other things they're looking for in a place to live), they might be surprised at how much where you live affects premiums (even with same car, same good driving record, etc.) and be glad they looked into it.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM

yes when you are on a budget n no raises in sight,,, better to look into anything n everythings that goes out because they keep raining everything UP UP N UP... but not my salary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay