Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 10:31 AM

109 posts, read 279,950 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information on zipcodes 33710 & 33713 areas of St. Petersburg. I think the neighborhoods are called Azalea, Tyrone, The Jungle or Jungle Prada(??), North Kingwood.

These are the things I'm wonderig about them:

1-are they culturally diverse? We want to live in a nice area with plenty of neighbors from different cultures

2-are they safe? As in no major drug, gang, violent activity. I'm from Minneapolis so I realize minor crime is everywhere. Just dont Want to move to an area that's worse

3-are there nice homes to rent? Looking for 3br home, reletively updated, maybe 1500 sq ft, nice yard, nice parks. Monthly rent around $1100??

4-are there many families with children? We have a 7 year old and we do not know anyone in FL so we are looking to meet new friends

thank you fo ANY information on these neighborhoods/zipcodes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Those are nice areas in West St. Pete near Tyrone Mall. Crime should be pretty minor in most of those areas. A lot of that area was developed between the 50s and 70s, but since it is still a desireable area, you should be able to find some homes that have been updated. The Bay Area is mostly white and each ethnic group seems to stick to their own neighborhoods. This isn't always true and this doesn't mean you won't have a single family of another race on your block, but keep it in mind.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 PM

28 posts, read 79,190 times
I agree with the previous post. I lived and still work in 33710 and found that it was one of the most appealing neighborhoods in St. Pete. I was born and raised in Chicago and plan on moving to the Twin Cities in the next couple of months so maybe we can help each other out.

Back to your concern: I don't think I have come across ANY culturally diverse neighborhoods in St. Pete. Now that doesn't mean that they don't exist, but in my 8 years of living here, sometimes I feel as though I have stepped back 50 years in time with the south side and the north side division. Downtown does seem to offer a more cosmopolitan weekend evening, but it doesn't make make it New York.

One of the characteristics of St. Pete that I found interesting is that few neighborhoods like the Jungle Prada and Azalea have consistent housing. For this I mean that there will be a block of modern, contemporary housing that most middle class people would find appealing, but if you turned the corner, you will most likely find a trailer park for seasonal or transient residents.

There is reasonable housing here in St. Pete now that the bubble has burst, but you may find it difficult to find any rentals in the neighborhoods you mentioned. They seem to be more established family homes that do not include a number of rentals. In fact, I did see the former home that I rented in the Jungle up for rent again. I called to inquire just for kicks and the 3bd 1 3/4 bath (1700 sq ft) was just renting for $1100. I hope that helps. Lastly, the Tyrone/Jungle/Prada area is wonderfully positioned between great shopping, restaurants, nice parks, and fairly close to Treasure Island/Pasadena area.

Now if you can answer my question: Where should I live? Planning on working downtown, but would like to live in a house with a yard with at least a 2/2 under $1300. I don't mind a commute, but would rather get as much as I can for my buck.

Take care and good luck.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Englishphd-thank you, your reply was very helpful. The 33710 area seems very close to my new job and the elementary schools in the area seem decent and have a decent mix of ethnicities based on school demographic reports I've read.

So you were saying that the housing in 33710 WAS consistent unlike other areas of St. Pete? My husband and I were in Tampa this past march and found it so funny how you could see a nice few blocks then turn to see a run down trailer park!

Do you know anything about Raytheon ground water contamination? Is that a real concern in the area or some hype on the Internet?

Will you be working downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul? Do you have kids? Do you want a suburban feel or funky eclectic vibe? Here are some areas that come to mind:

Uptown-very fun area, lots of entertainment and restaurants, close to lake Calhoun and close to DT Mpls. Might not get a yard though and maybe not best area for kids

Highland Park-in St. Paul. but close to Mpls. Nice older but remodled homes and duplexes. Many Trader Joe, whole Foods folks, nice friendly area

As far as suburbs I prefer the southern suburbs. Newer, slightly more diverse, younger, very convenient to DT. Edina, Eagan and Bloomington.

Let me know some more specifics and I'll try to narrow it down.

BTW-why are you leaving St. Pete?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
Wasn't there just something recently going on in that area in regards to Raytheon poisoning?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do mean consistent when it comes to the Jungle area. Of course you have some homes that are marginally maintained by their owners, but in general most are well maintained. I am glad you mentioned the Raytheon problem. I lived in the area before they uncovered the contamination and though I like the neighborhood, I don't think I would return because of negligence.

I know I now sound like I am contradicting my last post, but you reminded me of the only reason why I would not live there again. I think the last assessment of the plume confirmed that it does exist and that it may take several years to clean up. Considering all the cases of weird cancer that I have heard of in Florida, I wouldn't chance it.

Since I have been here, I can count over 15 colleagues who have fought several types of cancer ranging from skin, liver, brain, lung and breast. Hell, after I lived here for 9 months, my year old Bulldog developed bone cancer and had to be put down. This is not to suggest that Pinellas county has an unusual number of cases, but once again, I wouldn't chance it.

Why am I leaving? There are several personal reasons that include a need for advancement and really missing the change of seasons. Coming from Chicago, I never thought I would miss the snow, but I do. In addition, in my own humble opinion, I see so much division in St. Pete that I can't stomach anymore. Once again, I am from Chicago so I know racial segregation, but I really feel as though St. Pete is maybe 30-40 years behind the times. The ever-flying Confederate flag doesn't help me feel comfortable either. Central Ave is the dividing line...you'll see 'cause folks don't try to hide it.

I am also hoping that Minneapolis is a bit more progressive and welcoming. Yeah, I have heard of the mythical "Minnesota nice", but that I can deal with. It is the flat out rudeness that I get from the non-native Floridians (Bostonians and New Yorkers) I don't care to tolerate any longer.

Lastly, the economy here is really struggling. From what I understand, MN's economy has been relatively stable even before the recent recession. I believe that Florida has been operating on borrowed monies for a number of years and now the luck has run out. I don't wish Florida any ill-will but the lack of sustainability does play a key role in my decision to move.

Florida and Pinellas County does have some appealing attributes, but they are not enough to keep me here. So Minnesota, here I come. I will be working at MCTC so how far south can I go without an hour in traffic? Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Other areas to check out in addition to Azalea and Tyrone are:
Seminole - good schools, spacious homes, highly sought after during boom
Old Northeast - older neighborhood, expensive but homes with character, safe area
Shore Acres - very nice moderately priced homes, but notorious flood zone. Okay of you can find a stilted home.
Gateway (east of 4th St) - nice area, close to interstate and Tampa. Lots of apartments in area, but homes are well maintained and spacious.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 PM

Englishphd-
Thank you, your responses are well written and through, you must have a PhD in English!

If you're working at MCTC I think the furthest south would be Eagan or Burnsville. In traffic Burnsville (which is south of Eagan) would be 45 minutes. Eagan or Bloomington would be 30+ minutes. Highland Park are of St. Paul would be 30 minutes or so with traffic, that is a nice area close to Mpls. Plymouth is a nice suburb to the west of MCTC, would be less than 45 min with traffic.

Well my husband is headed to St. Pete on Monday to find a home so wish us luck! I will feel much better after he returns, with a place!! Good luck with your move, If I can help out at all let me know

Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM

thanks for your reply as well. I hope all goes well with your move and transition. When you get here, don't forget to check out Ceviche's downtown...great spot.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and opinions. They've been very helpful. My husband bound us a home to rent in zip 33709. I'm excited to have an address! Now comes the hard work of packing and driving our stuff down. 24 ft moving truck, towing husbands car on back, I'm driving the Prius with 7 yr old son AND our dog! Wish me luck!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay