U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:10 AM

269 posts, read 535,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You get ticketed by the police.
How much?

I can picture it, they come on a bicycle and i hear the sound "pling pling pling, this is the police. Stop the scooter or i will get tired soon!... stop so i can give you a ticket... or at least take a brake so i can breath!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
Nothing like being handcuffed by Pinellas County's finest. Hope it never happens to me.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Nothing like being handcuffed by Pinellas County's finest. Hope it never happens to me.
Well, it wont happen to me either.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM

515 posts, read 1,044,719 times
If you are considering a car - you should look into long-term rentals. Car ownership is pretty expensive - I've found that if you shop around renting a car can be nearly the same cost as a long-term lease + maintenance - except you only have to make payments for the couple of months you actually need the car. Local car dealers will frequently have vehicles available for multi-week or even multi-month rentals, many of the car rental agencies have long-term pricing (and their rates are much cheaper if you rent from a neighborhood location than from one of the rental lots at the airport).

Old 06-30-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
If you are considering a car - you should look into long-term rentals. Car ownership is pretty expensive - I've found that if you shop around renting a car can be nearly the same cost as a long-term lease + maintenance - except you only have to make payments for the couple of months you actually need the car. Local car dealers will frequently have vehicles available for multi-week or even multi-month rentals, many of the car rental agencies have long-term pricing (and their rates are much cheaper if you rent from a neighborhood location than from one of the rental lots at the airport).

I will look into that. Anyone you can recommend?

what do you think that the price would be?

Can there be any risks? insurance?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 8,647 times
How does the long term hire thing work if you have no credit rating in the US? I've looked at long term leasing but can't get a proper price as I don't know what my credit grade will be when I move over. Do they do flexible terms also? I'll be heading off to Afghanistan while I'm over so obviously won't need a car in Tampa while I'm there but I won't know when I'm due to go until I start work at MacDill.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:33 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
If you rent a car you should check into getting your own car ins vs what they sell. IIRC The insurance the rental co sells covers 'their car' and them.. not you. Be sure to ask about that. I would check around.. You can probably buy a car and use it while you are there and then sell it and at least get some of your money back. If you rent you get nothing back. JMO

Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,867,707 times
Find a good deal on a car on CL and you may be able to sell it for the same price you bought it for. Make sure you only deal with private sellers, not dealers. I have bought a few cars and recreational toys from CL and have been able to sell them for the same price or more than I paid for it a year or two later. THe secret to getting top dollar when selling..... clean it up, armor all the tires, detail the inside, change the oil.

Secret to getting a good deal. Determine what cars you are willing to buy. Price them on KBB. And constantly scan CL for new ads. The good deals go fast, really fast so you need to be ready to call. Do not email... calls always get the fastest response. Any Ad that has been up for more than 2 days is not a good deal. If it had been a good deal the vehicle would already be gone.

Also, don;t be afraid to ask if they will take 5% less than they are asking if you have cash on hand and are ready to buy. If they say no, still take the deal.... assuming you think its a fair deal.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Find a good deal on a car on CL and you may be able to sell it for the same price you bought it for. Make sure you only deal with private sellers, not dealers. I have bought a few cars and recreational toys from CL and have been able to sell them for the same price or more than I paid for it a year or two later. THe secret to getting top dollar when selling..... clean it up, armor all the tires, detail the inside, change the oil.

Secret to getting a good deal. Determine what cars you are willing to buy. Price them on KBB. And constantly scan CL for new ads. The good deals go fast, really fast so you need to be ready to call. Do not email... calls always get the fastest response. Any Ad that has been up for more than 2 days is not a good deal. If it had been a good deal the vehicle would already be gone.

Also, don;t be afraid to ask if they will take 5% less than they are asking if you have cash on hand and are ready to buy. If they say no, still take the deal.... assuming you think its a fair deal.
CL? is that craigs list?

I have bin buying cars before here in Sweden but i think that if you are under preassure when you are going to leave america and have to sell the car quickly. Then it can be a problem, what do i do if i still have the car and realize that the plane leaves tomorrow, with or without me and i have to get rid of the car?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you rent a car you should check into getting your own car ins vs what they sell. IIRC The insurance the rental co sells covers 'their car' and them.. not you. Be sure to ask about that. I would check around.. You can probably buy a car and use it while you are there and then sell it and at least get some of your money back. If you rent you get nothing back. JMO
That is true. If i rent, i will never get the money back.
However, i do not have to have the responsibility to find a buyer for the car. I can just leave it at the airport when i go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay