Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Maybe a coincidence but we got the feeling that in the past 2 years the so called "American arrogance" as Obama called it, is showing on the roads....respect on the road is less and less and the middle finger is the most used weapon against people who drive no more than 5-10 miles over the speed limit.

It makes me laugh and wonder how many more people will get heart attacks for all the frustration they have...

If cutting me off, giving me the middle finger for not going faster in a one lane road with road work than 5 miles over the limit is stressing these people out so much...it will soon bring the percentages of death due to stress, up so much that it almost will be funny.

Most people who behave so rude on the road are people who have nothing to say at home and at work and feel they owe the road... what a whimps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 05:11 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Eventually someone will smack into you for doing that, I hate people who do this because even if someone is preserving the safe distance in traffic, one day they'll run right into you. The signals are there to be used to LET THE PEOPLE BEHIND YOU (AND IN FRONT OF YOU) KNOW OF YOUR INTENTIONS, ME IN THE CAR BEHIND YOU CAN'T KNOW WHICH WAY YOU'LL TURN, YOU CAN'T CALL ME, TEXT ME AND LET ME KNOW YOU'LL MAKE A RIGHT!

From the driving book:
Making Turns

Turning a corner may seem to be a simple operation, but many traffic crashes are caused by drivers who do not turn correctly.

There are nine steps in making a good turn:

1. Make up your mind about your turn before you get to the turning point. Turn signals are required when changing lanes. Never make "last minute" turns.
2. If you must change lanes, look behind and to both sides to see where other vehicles are located before making your turn.
3. Move into the correct lane as you near the intersection. The correct lane for the right turn is the lane next to the right edge of the roadway. On a two-lane road with traffic in both directions, an approach for a left turn should be made in the part of the right half of the roadway nearest the center line.
4. Give a turn signal for at least the last 100 feet before you make your turn. Let other drivers know what you are going to do.
5. Slow down to a safe turning speed.
6. When you are slowing to make a right turn, the bicyclist you passed may be catching up to you. Search over your shoulder before turning. Yield to bicyclists and pedestrians.
7. Yield to pedestrians who may be crossing your path when turning left. Always scan for pedestrians before starting the turn.
8. Make the turn, staying in the proper lane. Yield the right-of-way to vehicles (including bicycles) coming from the opposite direction.
9. Finish your turn in the proper lane. A right turn should be from the right lane into the right lane of the roadway entered. A left turn may be completed in any lane lawfully available, or safe, for the desired direction of travel. See the diagrams for making left turns from or into one-way streets.

If you reach an intersection where you wish to make a right or left turn and are not in the proper lane, you should drive to the next intersection. Then make the turn from the proper lane.

http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool..../driver/en/3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I actually don't use my turn signals. Or else I'll turn it them on just a second before my turn. That way the cars don't have a chance to speed up and block me in.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe a coincidence but we got the feeling that in the past 2 years the so called "American arrogance" as Obama called it, is showing on the roads
Not sure how many are Americans? and secondly, Tampa (as most of FL) is filled with retirees who SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING ANYMORE. These people cannot respect the traffic laws, they can't keep the speed limit, they can't turn signals on, they drive in the left lane 30 miles under the speed limit.

It is not the Arrogance as it is the "have nothing else better to do" situation and they are getting in the way of people who have to go to work, pick up kids etc. We drove through PA, NY, recently and people don't practice any of this up there. Matter of fact I saw the coolest thing in PA, They have WHITE DOTS on the roads to make people keep a safe distance, you have to be 2 dots away from the car in front of you. Try that here and see what happens!

But in the end it does have to do with DEMOGRAPHICS. people coming here from countries without traffic laws and retired people who are soooooooooooooooo old they just can't keep up and then you have the Red Necks with the big trucks that they think they own the road or something! loud and obnoxious! So, I don't mention another "tree demographic" that sleeps while their driving oblivious to any traffic laws and with the music blasting out of their cars! Rude and rude gets!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
Right, and that's why Florida spent Billions of dollars on 2 and 3 lane roads so that the SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEPS TO THE RIGHT!!! If your not in a hurry or just want to relax and eat your sandwhich while texting and driving; I"M OK WITH THAT. Just do it in the RIGHT LANE! Some of us want to spend more of our lives doing productive things; not sitting in traffic because some numb-nut has camped out on I4 left lane doing 60 while multi-tasking or whatever reason. And when you do go into the RIGHT lane, use your damn BLINKER!!! ITS THE LAW! LOL Whew, I got that off my chest....hahaha.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 AM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
I can almost guarantee that 99.9% of the people that drive bad and don't return the carts to the cart returns are NOT native Floridians!! We sure get the bad rep from all of the arrogant jerkwads that come from everywhere else and bring their lack of driving skills/non cart returning selfish I AM GOD attitudes. It would be paradise again if everyone that wasn't born in Florida, left Florida!!
I disagree. The most frightening driver I've ever had the displeasure of driving with was a friend in high school who was born and raised in Tampa. I was in the passenger seat that had no seat belt and he would get right up on a car's a$$, go 30 over the speed limit, and take a shortcut through the woods (saved 10 seconds) to drop me off. I had never seen that kind of idiocy after moving from New Hampshire.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Not sure how many are Americans? and secondly, Tampa (as most of FL) is filled with retirees who SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING ANYMORE.
Disagree.

Most bad drivers aren't retirees - most are younger people in a hurry.

The older people I see are very cautious - being cautious is a good thing.

Ever wonder why older people pay lower premiums for auto insurance.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Right, and that's why Florida spent Billions of dollars on 2 and 3 lane roads so that the SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEPS TO THE RIGHT!!! If your not in a hurry or just want to relax and eat your sandwhich while texting and driving; I"M OK WITH THAT. Just do it in the RIGHT LANE! Some of us want to spend more of our lives doing productive things; not sitting in traffic because some numb-nut has camped out on I4 left lane doing 60 while multi-tasking or whatever reason. And when you do go into the RIGHT lane, use your damn BLINKER!!! ITS THE LAW! LOL Whew, I got that off my chest....hahaha.
I'd drive in the right lane - but that requires a lot of moving between lanes for incoming traffic onto the interstate. Looks like the middle lane is the cruising lane in the USA

Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'd drive in the right lane - but that requires a lot of moving between lanes for incoming traffic onto the interstate. Looks like the middle lane is the cruising lane in the USA
When driving from Tampa to Orlando, I actually use the right lane often because that is actually the fastest. Most people get stuck on the left lane thinking that is the fastest and they make it slow because they all go there and those who hate to change lanes stays in the middle. So, obviously we are left with the right lane What amazes me is that people seem not to see the entire flow of trafic and adjust accordngly. This tell me they are engaged in something else than driving--be it cell phoning (if there is a word).

Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
To the poster who blamed all the bad drivers coming from other states, yes there are a lot of bad drivers from other states, but many natives are awful drivers.

A FL driving test consists of going around orange cones in a parking lot, the driving age here is way too low.

Most of the horrific crashes here involve young drivers who are FL born.

Many states have raised the driving age and have cut down on deadly crashes, FL of course lags behind.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 PM

335 posts, read 939,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
When driving from Tampa to Orlando, I actually use the right lane often because that is actually the fastest. Most people get stuck on the left lane thinking that is the fastest and they make it slow because they all go there and those who hate to change lanes stays in the middle. So, obviously we are left with the right lane What amazes me is that people seem not to see the entire flow of trafic and adjust accordngly. This tell me they are engaged in something else than driving--be it cell phoning (if there is a word).

!!! We just went to Coca Beach a few weeks ago and I noticed this exact pattern on 4. I don't use 4 much and I was surprised I could sail by in the right lane most of the time. It was a bit of a nightmare though and we went on a Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay