U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 AM

110 posts, read 241,804 times

Advertisements

We are moving to St. Pete (west part hopefully) August 1st. We do not have a place yet, my husband is flying down on July 5th to look for a home to rent.

I've heard SO much negitive opinions about the schools bit no specific complaints. Our son will be entering 2nd grade. He has ADHD so we really need good communication & cooperation with his teachers.

We've missed the deadline to apply for magnet school so he will be in the neighborhood or zone school. I'm wondering SPECIFICALLY what parents don't like about the elementary schools. Are the teachers mean, bad, is the curicculum low standard?

Any specifics and advice is welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM

HELP! Any specific information out there?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 AM

8 posts, read 21,746 times
Its not just pinealls county schools that are bad, its ALL Florida schools that are bad. Unless it's a charter or private school.

I moved to Florida from Rhode Island, and Florida is so far behind curriculum wise. If you are moving from a Northern state, then you will be surprised how far behind Fl is. The work is more than likely going to be very easy for your son.

I have a 9-year old nephew with ADHD, and he goes to Skycrest in Clearwater. So far they have been great with him. He is going to the 4th grade, and last year was his first year that he did not get into ANY trouble. But the work is very easy for him and he gets bored quickly.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 AM

792 posts, read 2,014,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalarcon View Post
Its not just pinealls county schools that are bad, its ALL Florida schools that are bad. Unless it's a charter or private school.

I moved to Florida from Rhode Island, and Florida is so far behind curriculum wise. If you are moving from a Northern state, then you will be surprised how far behind Fl is. The work is more than likely going to be very easy for your son.

I have a 9-year old nephew with ADHD, and he goes to Skycrest in Clearwater. So far they have been great with him. He is going to the 4th grade, and last year was his first year that he did not get into ANY trouble. But the work is very easy for him and he gets bored quickly.
That's a terribly ignorant statement about Florida schools. Making blanket generalizations because you have a special needs kid does a disservice to all the hard working teachers and smart students out there who ARE doing great.

A smart kid will be a smart kid, regardless of where they go to school. And a not so smart kid will be the same regardless of where they go to school.

Parental involvement is KEY to making sure you kid gets a decent education, regardless of where they go.

I wish people who are moving here who quit worrying that all Florida schools are all gang ridden, crime infested, cesspools. It's not true.

Most all the schools in Pinellas county are pretty good and safe, unless they are on the Southside. Furthermore, don't fall for all the "magnate school" hype either. If you look on a map, they are located in the worst parts of the county. There is a reason for this.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 AM

749 posts, read 2,092,702 times
It was Pinellas Schools that originally brought it to our attention my son possibly had ADHD and they did great with him, it was Belcher Elementery. The schools down here are far better than those in Michigan, IMO.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 PM

55 posts, read 99,365 times
the magnet schools are on the south side to attract white students. i have a family memeber attending Perkins, a magnet school in the ghetto. The students in the school are predominantly white and travel from all over the county. It is an A school by the state and have top notch teachers. Parents clamor to get their kids in. The big issue I see with the neighborhood schools now is that it has become "neighborhood". Hence if u live in a poor white area, your kid will be around poor, white kids....diversity is decreasing and the schools are becoming more segregated like the neighborhoods. I do feel that the standards are lower here than up north for the most part. Teachers are more lenient towards incorrect grammatical usage and vernacular speech.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Thank you all for the detailed responses. Very interesting and helpful. It is hard because we are coming from MN where we do have a reputation for having good schools with strong standards. We are involved parents so hopefully with doing our research ahead of time and choosing to live in a neighborhood with a good "zoned" school we will be just fine.

Any more comments are sincerely welcomed! Thanks!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,450,350 times
I don't think Florida teachers are any more lenient about grammar. Florida is the South. Grammar is regional, not national. People use different grammar in different parts of the country and that's not exactly the news. If Southern grammar was good enough for Tennessee Williams, Flannery O'Connor and William Faulkner it's good enough for anyone. Don't come to the South and expect people to speak like Yankees.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM

55 posts, read 99,365 times
I am not trying to offend anyone, but I did work in the school district here. I found that the way some of the teachers spoke and what they allowed in the classroom was definitely more lenient. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that it is not as important here to always use subject-verb agreement or correctly use coordinating conjunctions. That is all I was saying.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,868,626 times
I for one am looking forward to sending my kids to Pinellas or Hillsborough schools. The school they are in now is a complete joke. It's a charter school and a brand new one. As much as I love the concept of the school, they are disorganized and has little discipline. The charter school took over an old furniture store location. Walls are paper thin. No playground or grass for the kids to play. No real Gym, Lunchroom or Multiprupose room. Their computer lab is 3 computer on a table in the middle of a common area. Their library consists of 4 book cases also in a common area. None of the chair in the classrooms match and apparently they cannot afford desks since they use fold up tables.

It's pretty much a joke and I wish I had never put the kids into this school. They'll be very happy and excited to be attending schools in Florida as will my wife and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or