U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM

132 posts, read 198,936 times
Know what you mean. I'm in the heart of Twelve Oaks/TNC and it's okay but getting worse. Wish I'd moved to Westchase. Total different class of people out there. TNC is mostly hispanic. If you are white, you are def. a minority over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi768 View Post
Know what you mean. I'm in the heart of Twelve Oaks/TNC and it's okay but getting worse. Wish I'd moved to Westchase. Total different class of people out there. TNC is mostly hispanic. If you are white, you are def. a minority over here.
Which is sad because 12 oaks used to be really nice. Now the low lives move in and destroy it

Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,730 times
Default regarding places to live

Hi,

Please tell me where i can find the more upscale safer neighborhood in the tampa bay area. we are looking for a house immediately and have been to some reallly crappy neighborhoods.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntfeldman View Post
Josh2020

What goes for the North area of Tampa's downtown goes for the area South of St. Pete's downtown - higher crime rates. If you look in the historic area of St. Pete, stay north of Central Ave.

There is a massive redevelopment effort going on the north of downtown area in Tampa and the housing projects and homeless shelters that are there now will - in the next 10 years - make way for pricey highrises and mid rise homes. I suspect that historic district in that area will recover. But it won't happen one home at a time and if your early enough to be a visionary and get in before the values go up, plan to put up with some larceny and petty theft or more dangerous crimes. Checking the tax records you'll find there are a number of investors assembling property in that area anticipating this.

Historic property is scattered all over the Tampa area though, you'll find turn of the century homes in Clearwater, Largo, Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor, Ruskin, Lutz, Dade City, Mulberry, Belleair, Valrico, New Port Richey, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor as well as St. Pete and Tampa.

If you need help finding a specific area you can send me a private message and I'll be glad to give you some insights.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM

100 posts, read 177,864 times
Westchase, Cheval, several areas of New Tampa and South Tampa are upscale and safer neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita2005 View Post
Hi,

Please tell me where i can find the more upscale safer neighborhood in the tampa bay area. we are looking for a house immediately and have been to some reallly crappy neighborhoods.

Thank you.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 13,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothsnob View Post
In regards to Seminole Heights, it really depends on WHERE in Seminole Heights. Generally, anything south of Sligh, West of Florida Ave., and North of MLK is pretty good area. Off of Nebraska Ave. I would definitely avoid - even though there are some nice houses here, you're still right next to cracktown.

I lived in a rental off of Florida Ave just south of Hillsborough, and it was a very good neighborhood. The only complaint was towards the end of our lease, our next door neighbors started almost nightly (3am!) drunken fights >.< So, needless to say, we turned down an offer to buy the house! Had it not been for that, we probably would have bought the place. I'm from Chicago originally, so city living doesn't phase me.

However, everyone pretty much agrees that East Tampa, West Tampa, North Tampa/USF area, Tampa Heights, and Town and Country (it DID really go downhill here!), are best avoided. Also, this hasn't been mentioned before, but while South Tampa is generally good, I'd avoid anything south of Interbay Blvd - and the farther south you go of Interbay, the worse it gets.

As for good neighborhoods - SOME parts of Seminole Heights (as previously mentioned), Wellswood, Egypt Lake, South Tampa north of Interbay, Forest Hills. If you prefer subdivisions/deed restricted communities, WestChase, Carrollwood, Citrus Park.
So, most of Tampa is uninhabitable?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,393,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooblie View Post
Some posters would like you to believe that, yes. What they fail to mention is that, since crime has dropped some 60% over the past few years, some neighborhoods which were bad a decade ago aren't particularly dangerous now and only look rundown.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,177,509 times
I'd vote for Greater Northdale.

West of Dale Mabry, East of the Veterans Expressway, North of Ehrlich, South of Van Dyke.

Established in the 70's so it feels homely (no tiny little trees like in the new developments). Safe area for kids convenient to Downtown and the Airport. On the western side of Hillsborough so beaches are not quite as far.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,066,280 times
Quote:
"East Tampa", "West Tampa", etc are small specific neighborhoods. Look on Google Maps and you'll find them.

But, yeah, to this outsider, it does look like the riff-raff are spreading all around Tampa, with civilization retreating to the Gulf (St. Pete, Clearwater, etc), the outer suburbs, and South Tampa.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,829,035 times
Quote:
That's not MOST of Tampa. It's a good percentage of the Tampa CITY LIMITS, which is a small percentage of the Tampa metro area.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM

1,392 posts, read 809,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Some posters would like you to believe that, yes. What they fail to mention is that, since crime has dropped some 60% over the past few years, some neighborhoods which were bad a decade ago aren't particularly dangerous now and only look rundown.
bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay