U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:18 PM

54 posts, read 279,949 times
Default Top 5 BEST and WORST neighborhoods in Tampa

What are the top 5 BEST and Top 5 WORST neighborhoods in Tampa? Please explain why they are the best and why they are the worst. Positives of the worst neighborhoods [If any]; Negatives of the best neighborhoods [If any]..Any Info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 04:02 PM

169 posts, read 732,998 times
What makes an area great for one person doesn't necessarily make it great for someone else. Clarify what makes a neighborhood "great" to you and what makes a neighborhood "worst" for you and then I can give you some facts about the area.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 PM

54 posts, read 279,949 times
Crime, how the neighborhood looks, how the community is, if ts safe of dangerous, etc.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM

403 posts, read 1,033,422 times
1. New Tampa
2.Ybor City

Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 PM

58 posts, read 168,454 times
1. Where I live
2. Everywhere else

Unless you are just looking for some lively discussion, this can't be answered. As an example, KWFL appears to say that Ybor City is the "worst" part of Tampa. Personally, I enjoy Ybor and frequent it relatively often. As is the case with any other part of the city, I wouldn't have a 5 year old with me when walking past the nightclubs at midnight. I'm a bit old to be clubbing until 3 a.m. anyway. I enjoy sitting outside the Big Cohiba, smoking a cigar and having dinner at Bernini. I positively hate eating Applebee's and the other generic lifestyle offered in New Tampa, Westchase, Brandon, etc. On the other hand, I live in the 'burbs. Point is...this is obviously a subjective questionnaire that will be receive differing answers from different people in different stages of life.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM

193 posts, read 822,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntfeldman View Post
What makes an area great for one person doesn't necessarily make it great for someone else. Clarify what makes a neighborhood "great" to you and what makes a neighborhood "worst" for you and then I can give you some facts about the area.
Although this quote is probably accurate, I think most of us want to be safe and surrounded by quality neighbors as a basic requirement of day to day existence.

If that sounds like you I would suggest you avoid the central urban core of Tampa - in particular Sulphur Springs and adjacent neighborhoods - as well as "suitcase city" which is north of Sulphur Springs, running up to around Bearss Ave.

My typical suggestion is that a person drives through prospective neighborhoods for a "look-see" because you probably already have a mental picture of what fits well for you.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:59 PM

135 posts, read 423,321 times
I dare anyone to move to College Hill or Suitcase City. ;-)

In a serious note, just looking at the crime data for Hillsborough County indicates that the majority of the area are subjected to the same crimes. If you look at the numbers closer, it seems that there's a concentration of crimes in the central part of Tampa.

Give this a try:
Crime Tracker - from TBO.com (http://www.tbo.com/news/crimetracker/ - broken link)

Old 06-20-2007, 02:26 PM

9,824 posts, read 15,291,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qacer View Post
I dare anyone to move to College Hill or Suitcase City. ;-)

In a serious note, just looking at the crime data for Hillsborough County indicates that the majority of the area are subjected to the same crimes. If you look at the numbers closer, it seems that there's a concentration of crimes in the central part of Tampa.

Give this a try:
Crime Tracker - from TBO.com (http://www.tbo.com/news/crimetracker/ - broken link)
Yes, and take it from a born-and-raised Tampa native who has lived or owned property in many of the central Tampa neighborhoods - the CRIME IS TERRIBLE! Been a victim many times, as has every member of my family. That includes West Tampa, Seminole Heights, Tampa Heights and suitcase city. Haven't lived in Tampa for 30 years - it's a great place for my hubby to work (downtown) and we like to visit restaurants and such but we are willing to commute to all that. The suburbs are nice and safe like Lutz, New Tampa, etc. but stay out of the city!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:51 AM

182 posts, read 564,987 times
gypsychic:so in your opinion the "historic district" would not be a good place for a single woman? i was attracted to the area because of the older homes being restored and being close to downtown, the housing prices seemed good too. Any suggestions for alternative neighborhoods similar to this but safer? Is there an historic district in st.pete's? thanks

Old 06-21-2007, 11:07 AM

9,824 posts, read 15,291,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
gypsychic:so in your opinion the "historic district" would not be a good place for a single woman? i was attracted to the area because of the older homes being restored and being close to downtown, the housing prices seemed good too. Any suggestions for alternative neighborhoods similar to this but safer? Is there an historic district in st.pete's? thanks
stormweary, I would really recommend St. Pete for living as opposed to Tampa, but someone who lives there will have to direct you to the type neighborhoods you are seeking. The only historic areas in Tampa which are safe (but still have some crime) are those in South Tampa, but it is VERY pricey there - although if you are renting you might find a nice deal.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay