Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 8,278 times

Advertisements

My husband has just been relocated to Tampa for work and said he wants to live in Clearwater (he's lived there before). We currently live in Atlanta. I have never been to Tampa, therefore I have no idea what's safe and what's not. I suggested moving into an apartment for 6 months so I can look for a house during that time, instead of jumping into a house without knowing the areas very well. We don't want to break the bank on overpriced rent, but understand you pay for safety.

However, I have started looking at some of the apartments in the Clearwater area, and some are less than appealing. I'm posting this with the hopes that someone will give me advice on safe areas to live in Clearwater, or surrounding areas in Tampa. In Atlanta, there are shady areas (where I'd NEVER live), then a mile down the road is a completely safe, family-oriented neighborhood. Keep in mind, we have two children under 3, so safety is our first priority.

I realize that choosing a place so quickly isn't going to be all that fantastic. However, what I don't want is to end up in an apartment that looks decent, sounds decent, but turns out to be ghetto!!! (i.e. The Wellington??? looks decent, reasonably priced.....but is it unsafe?)

I appreciate anyone's help regarding our issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,246,338 times
One of the most important things you can do is go down and spend time in the areas of your choice.

Make a list of several areas and have the time to go to each area/town and spent some valuable time looking around.

Research is key! Time spent in the area is vital.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,316,908 times
Yes, I know from experience that what the above poster said should be told to anyone contemplating moving anywhere. Stay in one of those extended stay places for a while and ck out the neighborhoods in the city before you sign any leases. Go there on a Fr or Sat night and see (and hear) what it's like. Don't be led by realtors or apartment finders into something, because they are not exactly unbiased. There's really no substitute for putting your feet on the ground and taking your time seeing what's available. Don't ask me how I know all this

Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 AM

114 posts, read 532,939 times
My husband grew up in Dunedin so we have visited the area often and are moving there in October 2010. If you look on Craigslist, Tampa Bay, under 'temporary rentals, or vacation rentals' (can't remember exactly what it says) you will find places that rent by the week/month. Some are little 'homes' behind the owner's home, which should be fairly safe. You might want to consider living in one of those for a few weeks/months, while looking for a permanent place.

Since your husband has lived in Clearwater, and he obviously liked it, I'd consider looking at rental places in Clearwater or Safety Harbor, a really cute little town on Tampa bay. My favorite site (it has a map so it's easy to figure out what is available) is:

Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

Best of luck.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 AM

114 posts, read 532,939 times
Okay, my link didn't work (probably can't put it on this type of board?). Do a google search using 'Clearwater' and 'homes for rent', or 'homes for sale' and you'll find a bazillion sites. I troll through those sites so that I'll be better mentally prepared when we finally move to Florida. I now have a good idea of prices for rentals, a little about prices for homes for sale, so that once we actually move there, and start visiting the rentals, I'll have a much better idea of what type of commute my husband will be faced with and if the price is in the correct ball park.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,856,687 times
There are plenty of places in Clearwater that are nice and safe to live. But like the previous poster says it is a good idea to live in an extended stay place for a while , and then look around.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:14 PM

626 posts, read 1,342,676 times
Yes, the Wellington = ghetto. I personally would stay away from renting in that area of US 19/Drew St unless you are of Mexican heritage.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,093 times
were is a good african american hood in clearwater,FL thats got a good crime rate

Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 PM

626 posts, read 1,342,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jucimane View Post
were is a good african american hood in clearwater,FL thats got a good crime rate
Wow, let me guess..North or South Greenwood

Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 AM

5 posts, read 14,777 times
I do agree that it is wise to come down and look around first before signing into a lease agreement. An extended stay hotel is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay