U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,745,524 times

Advertisements

There is nothing fishy....

My brother used to teach in Atlanta (coming from Europe) and he got a GA drivers license.

If he wants to rent an apartment or something, it is always better to have a Florida ID/Drivers License...how many apartments do you know that will rent on a passport basis? But if he comes here often, this is a normal legal thing to do. If I were to travel to Germany for work constantly, I would definitely get a German License, since they are very different than ours here.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Plus, as a tourist here, you become a target pretty quick as "locals" have a need to suck at tourists quite a bit. Look at Disney prices to start with etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Something is fishy here; why do you need a FLORIDA driver's license if your only here temporarily on a visa and you already have a drivers license from another country????? Why don't you wait for your Green Card before you make things permanent?

Care to splain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 PM

30 posts, read 52,813 times
Thank you for the info.

Today I visited one of the car rental companies and they agreed to rent out me a car for a road test. So, right now I just want to find a rental company with low prices.

I have an immigrant visa and I will receive a Welcome Notice in 30 days and they receive my PRC card. But I want to get US driver's license. That doesn't correlate with my "Green Card". With my US driver's license I'll get another ID document and this will help me to find a car, because right now I can't buy a car without US driver's license and I can't register this car without US driver's license.

Since I still have no friends in Tampa, I want to hasten several processes.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,068,865 times
I have to say your written English is very good - is this the first time you've been in the USA?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM

48 posts, read 135,276 times
Yeah, you should have no trouble renting a car just as any foreign tourist with a valid foreign license would.

When the DMV says you must take the test in "your car", what they mean is that they don't provide a car for you to take the test in. It needs to be a safe and legal car that you have permission to drive, and they may very well ask to see proof of insurance, but it doesn't have to be "your" car.

Sounds like you're well on your way.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM

164 posts, read 409,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Something is fishy here; why do you need a FLORIDA driver's license if your only here temporarily on a visa and you already have a drivers license from another country????? Why don't you wait for your Green Card before you make things permanent?

Care to splain?
Can only drive on a foreign driving licence for a short period of time. If you plan to stay in Florida, for longer than (i think it is 10 days now?? used to be 3 months!)...you must get a Florida Drivers license

Old 06-30-2010, 01:30 PM

I moved to the US on 06-19-2010 and this is my first visit.

I know that I can use my foreign driver's license for some time, but it's better to get US driver's license since I'm going to stay here for a long time. I hope...

So, right now I'm studying Florida Driver's Handbook.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM

7,644 posts, read 16,003,755 times
Also keep in mind that Florida recently changed the laws to make it far more annoying to get a driver's license here. In addition to proof of identity and proof you can legally be here, you now have to also have proof you live where you claim to live. A copy of your lease and a current utility bill should work, but for the full details of what you need, check here:

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Index

Old 06-30-2010, 02:21 PM

Yep, major hassles when getting a DL. I was in there within the last year and remember a lot of people being turned away because they didn't have the right documents. Be ready for some frustration - just keep your cool, Serj.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Thank you, guys!

In Drivers Handbook I found that I have to provide 2 different documents as a proof of my permanent address. Since I haven't received any bills yet, so I hope that the letter from bank would suit them.

So, right now I have only:

SSN, Stamp I-551 in passport and copy of lease, but in Driver's Handbook you can find that there a lot of documents that could be used besides lease. One of them is "mail from financial institutions.." - that is e.g. a letter from bank.

So, I hope that everything will be OK with my docs.

You know, it seems that it's more difficult to get drivers license in Russia... Reason is red tape...

I'm still amazed that there are so many cars with V8 here. Ppl definetly like powerful cars in the USA.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:58 AM

When the price of gas goes to $4-5 dollars, people w/ V8 engines will be kicking themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay