U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:08 AM

515 posts, read 1,044,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerjR View Post
I'm still amazed that there are so many cars with V8 here. Ppl definetly like powerful cars in the USA.
If Russia is like Europe you guys tax by engine displacement - making the bigger engines significantly more expensive than smaller ones The US does not tax by engine displacement so up-front costs are not so extremely different between models with big and small engines

Downside is that relatively few american cars have turbos or superchargers unlike many european cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:26 PM

14 posts, read 23,724 times
The thinking that V8's are gas guzzlers is a tad out dated. Sure they are not getting 40mpg, but most are around 25-30mpg save for trucks and suvs. My '97 Trans Am gets 23mpg highway and its 13years old. The 427 cid Corvette ZO6 can see 28mpg on the highway and it makes 500hp! And if v8's aren't your thing they are getting 300hp out of v6's now. And yes, for the most part, the US does have an undeniable love affair with horsepower. Not as much as we did in the past. But it is still alive and well.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,490,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinindian1997 View Post
The thinking that V8's are gas guzzlers is a tad out dated. Sure they are not getting 40mpg, but most are around 25-30mpg save for trucks and suvs. My '97 Trans Am gets 23mpg highway and its 13years old. The 427 cid Corvette ZO6 can see 28mpg on the highway and it makes 500hp! And if v8's aren't your thing they are getting 300hp out of v6's now. And yes, for the most part, the US does have an undeniable love affair with horsepower. Not as much as we did in the past. But it is still alive and well.

Is there anything in the world that sexier then this ?!?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM

30 posts, read 52,854 times
I don't mind of having a V8 car in my garage even if it was the only car.

I'm just still amazed and need to get used to what I see on the roads here.

You know e.g. BMW has produced a lot of great non-turbo engines, especially for "M" series. But nowdays they changed direction to small enginges with turbo.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

Is there anything in the world that sexier then this ?!?
Yes, but I don't think the mods will let me post pics of her on this forum.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM

22 posts, read 95,979 times
Yeah, there are rumors that BMW might start to manufacture front wheel drive cars. It is a big change in direction for BMW.

The 3.2 liter inline 6 in the E46 M3 is a gas guzzler with an average of 23 mpg on the highway. Most often my wife and I end up taking either the Honda Fit or the Miata MX-5 out because they are more fuel frugal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerjR View Post
I don't mind of having a V8 car in my garage even if it was the only car.

I'm just still amazed and need to get used to what I see on the roads here.

You know e.g. BMW has produced a lot of great non-turbo engines, especially for "M" series. But nowdays they changed direction to small enginges with turbo.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM

30 posts, read 52,854 times
But BMW is BMW. And when I see M3/M5/M6 on the road driving at about 20mph because of speed limits I can only shrug... When you driving e.g. RR, you don't have to drive fast, but when you have a sports car with 500hp inside and you have to drive only 20 or 50mph, then it's unfair for that car. It's like you are kidding the car and say "baby, you have 500HP, but I won't let you use even a quarter of it".

But rules are made for drivers and you must obey the rules, because of your own safety and all around you on the road.

Unfortunately, there are no roads without speed limit, are they?

Or you can just pay $ and go for a track and drive there.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 PM

14 posts, read 23,724 times
hey Serj, i don't know a whole lot about florida for sure since i havn't moved there yet, but i do know there are quite a few drag strips within an hour or so of Tampa. as for road coarses i dont know what is close. nationally there are many places to get your speed fix. navada has their silver state classic open road races, there is the maxton mile in north carolina which is pretty much a one mile drag strip. there was another place at a texas air strip but i can't remember the name of it. there are alot of places in the U.S. to race.

you might like to check out the culture at any tampa area drag strip to kind of get in the loop for whats local. i am sure there are BMW clubs near there as well. But trust me a 500hp BMW, though respectable, will not be the king at any track you go to. there are cars all over that are making nearly double that horse power figure and are completely comfy to drive. (god bless turbos, technology and V8's!)

Old 07-10-2010, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 95,979 times
Sebring International raceway is the closest to Tampa. Road Atlanta in Georgia is also doable, about 8 hours drive from Tampa. Tack days are available from several car clubs. I have not been to either tracks but have heard good things about them. Before I got married, living in New York city, I used to do a least one track day event a year in my MR2 Turbo. My favorite tracks to visit are Watkins Glenn and New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Unlike Florida, the NY tristate area have many great scenic roads to enjoy your cars.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,430,594 times
When I was 16 years old I barrowed the family car to get my license. So why not barrow one, bring the owner with you as you are not lisenced to drive it to the test. There is no law that I know of to keep you from obtaining a drivers lisence without owning a vehicle. Perhaps you could call the Drivers License office and ask if they have vehicles available for this use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay