U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:55 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,302,302 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I'm moving to the Tampa Palms/New Tampa area (just signed a lease!). I am moving from Chicago for 1 year (for school) and am getting anxious about figuring out there area and could use some advice.
1) Anyone know of good doggie daycares in the area?
2) What is the closest, nice beach to me? (I realize that I am no where near the water....)
3) Can anyone recommend good Indian restaurants? Good pizza places?
4) Where is the nearest large mall for shopping?
5) I will need to buy basic furniture. Any suggestions on reasonably priced stores (a bed, a couch, etc)?
6) Any vet recommendations?
7) Where are some fun places to go out (bars, clubs, etc)?
8) Are there any taxi services?
OK, I think that's enough for now! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 01:48 PM

142 posts, read 629,906 times
Hi

I have a dog, but I don't know of any. You can probably try fiddling thru the Oracle for some ads of Services Offered.

2) What is the closest, nice beach to me?
It depends on your definition of nice. For a nice a quite time, I would suggest Ft. Desoto State Park (about 45 mins from USF). For a nice time checking out other people, any of the Clearwater beaches (about 40 mins from USF) will do.

3) Can anyone recommend good Indian restaurants? Good pizza places?
I've been to a few Indian restaurants near USF, but I don't remember the name. There's an Indian restaurant by University Hangout on Fowler Ave. that has dinner buffets on Monday. As for pizza places, there's a New York style pizza place in one of the plazas next to the University Mall. It's just past Panera Bread right next to the Boba Tea shop.

4) Where is the nearest large mall for shopping?
University Mall, but I would prefer Citrus Plaza, West Shore Mall, or International Plaza.

5) I will need to buy basic furniture. Any suggestions on reasonably priced stores (a bed, a couch, etc)?

Check craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events, usfbs.com, or Facebook | Welcome to Facebook! for graduating students selling their stuff. You can also try Sticks n' Stuff on Fletcher Ave. just between Nebraska Ave. and Florida Ave.. They have good deals there.

6) Any vet recommendations?

My friend claims that there is a vet on the Skipper Rd. plaza near Bearss Ave. that is awesome as heck. I don't know her name, though.

7) Where are some fun places to go out (bars, clubs, etc)?
Closest to you would be PeaBody's on Amberly and Bruce B. Downs. However, this place is kinda smoky. Near Dale Mabry Hwy. and Fletcher Ave., there is Whiskey Park North. If you go to South Tampa / Hyde Park, you'll find Hyde Park Cafe, Whiskey Park South, The Rack, etc. You can also go to the Channelside district. If you're adventurous, you can venture of to 7th Ave. in Ybor.

8) Are there any taxi services?
Yes, but from what my friend told me, it'd cost you $40 to get from USF to downtown Tampa. You can try taking public transportation, but I don't know what the service is like. Alternatively, make some friends at the college and get them to drop you off if you buy them dinner. It'd be much cheaper than taxi services most of the time.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM

44 posts, read 207,007 times
[quote=jessiegirl_98;919414]Hi everyone!
I'm moving to the Tampa Palms/New Tampa area (just signed a lease!). I am moving from Chicago for 1 year (for school) and am getting anxious about figuring out there area and could use some advice.

Rompin Rovers Team North Tampa Doggie Daycare Room Overnight Dog Sitting Tampa Bay, FL (http://rompinroversusa.com/teamntampa.html - broken link)

We take our dog there at least once a week. It costs $20 per day. She's always pooped out when we take her home! This isn't really in New Tampa, but it's not too far away.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 PM

Thank you for the replies! Can you tell me where the malls you mentioned are located?
ChrisJ, what vet do you use? Do you like them?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 PM

142 posts, read 629,906 times
This should give you an idea on where these malls are located:

University Mall is right across to USF's west side. Just drive west on Fowler Ave. from USF.

Westshore Plaza and International Mall are near the Tampa Airport. Both malls can be accessed via Westshore Blvd.

I don't know of any landmarks near citrus Town Park. The easiest way to get there from USF is to take Fletcher Ave. to Dale Mabry Hwy. Drive South on Dale Mabry towards Linebaugh Ave. Turn right on Linebaugh Ave. and make a right on Gunn Hwy.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 PM

Thanks so much! That map is really helpful! (how did you do that?).
Anyone else have good dinner recommendations? Any good sandwhich shops (besides panera...looking for more local)?
Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 AM

45 posts, read 191,226 times
I Live In Tampa Palms I Relocated 2 Yrs Ago From Ny.
It Is A Very Nice Area Especially For Kids All The Schools
Are A Rated. Where Are You Renting I Live At Camden.
Send Me A Personal Message If You Want To Know More Info.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 15,486 times
Default Also Moving to Tampa Palms

I am also moving to Tampa Palms. I'm arriving Aug. 1st from Michigan--accepted a teaching position in Wesley Chapel and am going to live in Camden Live Oaks in Tampa Palms. Wenzeka, is that where you are?

I'll be arriving with a cat and a boyfriend, so I'll be looking for a good vet and a good job for these two (which gets which?).

Can't wait!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,631 times
Hey there. I live in Tampa Palms and love it!

As far as malls. International Plaza (Upscale, Designer) /Citrus Mall (Upscale) are the best. They have everything in there and are really nice, realtively new and are safe. The only drawback is that they are far from TP. Westfield Shoppingtown Brandon (aka Brandon Mall to us locals) is the next on the list. It is the easiest to get to just get on I-75 South. They have done a major remodeling so its looking better. It is the "general mall" has mostly everything you might be looking for in a mall. Westshore (Semi-Upscale) is located a mile from international and is on the same road. It is small, but nice. University Mall located near the USF campus is the worst. It's not that safe. There are not many chain stores in there anymore. I avoid it unless I have no choice.

As far as for a vet I take my dog to a vet located in Tampa Palms. I've been going there for almost 6 months now and they are great!

As far as going out: Thursday Nights is college night in Ybor City. People say it's not safe. Which is true for some areas; but as long as you go with people,stay on the main strip, and don't act stupid you will be fine. There are alot of clubs and bars out here. Next is Channelside. It is located in Downtown. It's more "concentrated" then Ybor and the clubs are newer, more upscale and some have great views of the city. Be aware, drinks are more expensive hear. There is also Hyde Park. Hyde Park is very trendy, dress to impress kind of place and is located in South Tampa.

As far as food- Rubuen's has the best sandwich in Tampa. It is located in the USF area. For Mexican you must go to Esteallas located on Davis Island in Downtown. True Tampa dinner places include the Colombia Restaruant (on 7th Avenue in Ybor). This is basically Tampa on a plate. I take everyone who visits me there. Its kind of expensive but you must go at least once while here. For seafood the Colonnade on Bayshore is the best Tampa seafood and has great views of skyline and bay,

If you want to know more just let me know...I've lived in Tampa for 14 years so I can be of help.

Last edited by TampaBull; 06-27-2007 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-27-2007, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,534 times
Hi

This is Cinders Partner not Cinders. I've seen that Tampa Palms is a littl further in that Pebble Creek and other developments and so far its the best place I can see to live to be close to Tampa and have the facilities of golf and tennis on your doorstep. I have a few questions for those living in Tampa Palms.

1) Im 27 years old with my own business, so im not born into money and im young! Will this go down ok in a place like Tampa Palms as it looks a little snooty! Will they blackball me at the country club?

2) How old are people there, is for retiree's or are there people there my age.

3) Im looking for a 4 bedroom to rent with a pool, what are th prices like there.

4) Are good connections into Tampa, public transport, available or must a car be had at all time. Im talking about going drinking in Ybor.... possible?

5) What about facilies around the area, plenty of supermarkets in the area?

6) The golf courses around there.... I live in Rome now and they will not let someone unqualified play. If I want to learn golf, can I do it at the club, or will they only accept players of a certain level?

Finally, what's it like, day to day, the security, the general feel of the place. I've been warned off North Tampa but I think that's just the sprawl below and around Busch Gardens?

Any tips? Any other places better than Tampa Palms

Thanks
SN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or