U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 AM

155 posts, read 381,473 times

Advertisements

Back in the 90s when I lived there, I remember Animal Control trapping a gator in the parking lot of Tyrone Square mall. I was told that they take the trapped gators down to Lake Maggiore and release them.

We had a small one in a lake near our house. Gators pretty much keep to themselves unless you are walking a tiny dog near the shore. In my opinion, water moccasins are much more dangerous because they are a pretty aggressive snake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,129,345 times
There are lots of gators in the lake across the street from our neighborhood. I walk around it with the kids all the time. I just remind them if they start to wander, to keep their feet on the path. If they don't, we leave. I don't want them to be terrified, but I want them to have a healthy respect for them.

There's one in the back of the lake that my kids have named "Mr. Big". That guy must be 12 to 15 feet long and he has no fear of anything. And why would he, at that size? He just cruises around wherever he wants and everything gets out of his way. That particular gator makes me a little bit nervous.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 AM

848 posts, read 1,675,521 times
Since this is a gator story thread, I'll refrain from any scary stuff. You can find enough of that using an Internet search. Be aware of where you're likely to find gators and keep your distance.

Now, the story. I can't find a link to the original, which I think was in the Orlando Sentinel. Maybe someone else will remember it too.

Anyway, one morning someone from the Lake County Sheriff's Department went to work at the Leesburg airport, where the Sheriff's Department maintains a hangar for their helicopter.

Upon opening the hangar door, he found himself staring at 10 ft. Al E. Gator! I don't think they ever figured out how one that big got into the hangar, but I bet that poor guy didn't need a cup of coffee to get going that morning!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:38 PM

55 posts, read 202,309 times
Wow! Great stories, especially that last one right above me = )

Old 07-01-2010, 03:47 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,834,780 times
I worked across the street from RayJ stadium in the business park. There is a good size lake with some BIG carp there plus a few bass plus a few smaller connecting lakes . There was an alligator in the lake and one day it crawled up the steps of a building and greeting folks as they came to work. Actually during mating season is when you hear stories of them showing up in strange places.

We use to get a lot of ppl from out of town visiting our office. Of course, the topic was always where is the alligator. During one training class the group walked over to the old Tampa Bay Mall for lunch. When they walked back to the office someone had put in a big green blow up alligator in the lake.

Stay away from lake edges during early AM and early evening.. Beware that any pond can hold a gator especially during mating season they will wander to find a mate.

Interesting facts.
Did you know the Momma gator will carry her babies in her mouth?
Did you know that a gator's stomach is the size of a football?

We lived on a lake when my kids were young and we never saw a gator on land

Old 07-01-2010, 04:24 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,679,118 times
I was visiting my godmother in Tamarac when she pointed out a 14' plus crock walking down the main through fare in her development..it eventually found one of the golf ponds further down the road and disappeared into the water..the next morning it was walking back down the road and found it's way to the community pool..I guess the pond was not big enough...

Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,738,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter1803 View Post
Are there a lot of alligators in Lettuce Lake? I'm going to be living near there and seems like it would be a nice place to hang out and watch alligators and other assorted animals from time to time.
Yes; Lettuce Lake PArk is a wonderful spot for wildlife, including alligators. Watch for the limpkins....very cool birds that were almost driven to extinction. There are several of them in the park. You'l definitely hear them, even if you don't see them!

I think alligators are fascinating and I'm glad this thread hasn't devolved. Given that I will share one. I lived on the East Coast of Florida during the 2004 hurricane season when we got hit my so many storms and LOTS of water. I'll never forget seeing an alligator swimming (not walking) down the street.....

To all of you folks new to the area I will ask that you NEVER feed a wild alligator. "Problem" alligators are invariably the result of being fed by people when they are small. They have a natural fear of people so long as nobody teaches them otherwise.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 PM

55 posts, read 202,309 times
Very good tip Crowgirl, I have heard that on Animal Planet. " Do not feed them". Then we get ourselves and the alligators in trouble. What a trip that would be to see an alligator swimming down the street!!!
and Rusty, to see an alligator in a community pool, what?!!! Ok now I will definitely keep my eyes open for ANY body of water LOL!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,700,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeska30 View Post
Hi after seeing the youtube video from Bucfan, I wanted to see if anyone would want to share stories of alligators in strange areas, or anything worth mentioning?
Thanks!
Jessika

When I was about 12 I had been swimming in a pond out with some school friends of mine out in the Boyette area (BFE.) After a half an hour or so I was walking along the edge of the pond when I noticed something move under my feet (or where I was about to step.) I looked down and it was a baby gator, maybe a foot long. It freaked out and swam to the center of the pond. We went up and told our friend's parents but they didn't believe us, so we just went back and tried to catch it. Eventually after about a half an hour or so of following it around, one of the guys picked it up and we walked up to the house with it.

Well I think my friend's Mom about passed out when she saw what we had. The Father got something to keep it's mouth closed and then he called animal services. They came out and took the alligator somewhere to relocate it.

Another time, I was 15 or so, I was fishing at a reservoir and a gator lifted it's head up and took my bobber into it's mouth for an instance before spitting it back out.

During Spring break when I was 15 or 16 I went canoeing with three friends. A couple of hours into the trip we noticed a small gator who was by our canoe. Maybe a couple of feet long. It was a little aggressive actually and nipping at us. We joked that the Momma couldn't be far away...we were correct.

We had been screwing around and tied our canoes together side by side for whatever reason. When we went around the next corner we saw a gator that was easily as long as our canoe. The first thing I realized was it's tail was as big around as my waist and that scared the shyt out of me. My mind raced and instantly I thought of a news report looking for my remains, lol.

A couple of us freaked out and stuck our oars into the water to try and change direction away from the gator. Unfortunately the opposite happened and we turned directly towards it and then then floated up on the sand bar on which it was sitting! Of course I was totally mortified as this thing was absolutely enormous to me. We could almost reach out and touch the thing.

It then lifted it's head and slowly went into the water, where we couldn't see it! So now our canoe is on this sand bar, stuck, and we're trying to push off it to no avail with our oars. They are just sinking into the wet sand. We soon realize what somebody has to do: Get out of the canoe and push us off the sand! This would entail getting in the water first a little bit.

At this point I was terrified beyond anything my young mind could comprehend, haha. I think we debated it for a bit before the oldest boy jumped out and pushed us off the sand really fast before scrambling back in the canoe. We paddled away ever so slowly and then when we felt we were out of it's area, we paddled really fast for a few minutes. Of course when we got back to the canoe rental place nobody really believed us, especially given how large we told them it was. "Oh that's ole Red Eye" the guys says.

I think that's the last close encounter I've had with a gator (two and a half decades now) but in general I've seen so many I've lost count down here.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,043,521 times
It's been a long time since we have brought the Gator Encounters back up. A while back inquiries were noted on CD asking if they would attack a pet that was near a body of water and some people posted that the pets were safe, there were counter posts warning the opposite, but I just thought this may make those asking a believer....
Man rescues his dog from alligator, revives it with CPR

15-pound terrier recovering from puncture wounds, lung injuries.
Lizabeth the Jack Russell is lucky to be alive after being bitten and nearly drowned by a Florida alligator. WFLA's Samara Sodos reports her owner performed CPR on the dog, helping to resuscitate her.
Here is the link to the story.
Man performs CPR on his dog after alligator attack - U.S. news - Weird news - msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay