Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:11 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

If you've never gone, you should really give it a try.

Attended first event last night at St Pete Mahaffey Theater (Marvin Hamlisch - Oscar/Emmy/Tony/Golden Globe winner) - outstanding presentation and very affordable (have you priced a Buc's ticket or John Mayer concert ticket?).

This type of entertainment is outstanding for children who may not be getting exposure to classical/broadway/soundtrack music in schools.

Florida Orchestra |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Thank you Bucfan for posting this.....

Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 AM

it seems like I don't know how to spell orchestra - typo, of course - but couldn't edit...

but can't understand how people from Tampa can pay $200/seat and $8 beers for Buc's games but not $20-30/seat for a widely acclaimed artist like Hamlisch.......

maybe this city is more into stuff like Monster Truck than classical music.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 AM

BucFan........it's simple, as with any art, (ballet, classic music, theater) you don't see a BILLBOARD on I-4 for it so all the Joe's see it advertised...generally because all the above can't be played in a stadium, therefore not as many people can participate at once raising their budgets...charge that much money as in football then you can afford those huge billboards and advertising on every license plate in town!

It's not just Tampa, all tho by direct comparison with Orlando and Miami it is pretty monster trucky! But it is everywhere
Quote:
maybe this city is more into stuff like Monster Truck than classical music.
In order for people to build a taste for these types of arts, they need to be somewhat mandatory (an art history class which includes them all, a music class, a dance class to teach proper posture if nothing else, (NOT cheerleading), at school level, so generations after generations are exposed early to them and taught of their importance in one's intellect.....

The most unfortunate thing around the entire US not just Tampa is that the above mentioned arts are at the mercy of a few wealthy people, (who do it out of snobism and not actual interest in those arts, more to wear their expensive dresses which is a bit ridiculous....but whatever.....they rely on sponsorships, in Europe they only rely on sponsors half way the other half belongs to the Gov, it is their pride and joy actually, the US doesn't even have a secretary of the arts, which is horrible to say the least because ALL the artists here have NO representation in the Gov at all, as if they don't exist.

Teens these days hang out at the mall instead of going to see these types of performances, that ONLY contributes to one mass stupidity and is a major waste of time!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:35 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
...This type of entertainment is outstanding for children who may not be getting exposure to classical/broadway/soundtrack music in schools.

I was home schooled in the classics...

YouTube - chuck jones WHAT'S THE OPERA DOC

YouTube - Bugs Bunny makes fruit salad on elmer fudds head

YouTube - Baton Bunny

Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 AM

very funny.....me too.....but I also had the other and didn't grow up thinking "the mall" was an attraction! all tho I'll admit, it could be one but not in a good way........LOLOLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post

Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 PM

If you've never attended a Florida Orchestra concert and you can afford the ticket(s) - please consider it. They're in dire straits as their musicians recently took a pay cut and are paid lower than many of the orchestras in other cities. We're really lucky to have these performances in our area and it's even more important to support instead of the Rays/Bucs/Bolts, imo.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/per...y-cuts/1126358

Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I plan to start attending once I'm permanently in residence. Have you attended any of their concerts at Ruth Eckerd Hall? I'm pretty close to that venue and am excited to see what it's like.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:05 PM

Never went to the Clearwater concerts, but I'm sure it's the same - just be prepared for a lot of old people. Sad shame that younger people don't appreciate this kind of performance.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 AM

another great show.......mahler 6

here London Symphony performs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT22BZ5gGbU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay