Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 PM

52 posts, read 196,525 times

Advertisements

I am a Tampa resident who has been unemployed for the past 16 months and still looking for work. Is Tampa really that bad off in terms of unemployment? I hear people complain about their jobs so much when I only wish I had one to begin with. For those who never lost their job during this recession or those who are now currently working...keep in mind you have A LOT to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
I am very grateful to have a good job right now. I hear you.

I hope you find something soon...good luck.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Thank you for the encouraging words. I wish I had a network as it seems that is one of the most common ways people are landing jobs these days.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:06 PM

12 posts, read 27,902 times
My fiance and I just currently moved to Tampa from Upstate New York.

I had lost my job last July and worked as a cook and substitute teacher for the last year. She ran a coffee-sandwich shop.

We moved here hoping to find more opportunities and I'll let you know, there is hope.

Within a week my fiance found a job being a manager at Krispy Kreme and after about a month of searching, I just was hired part-time by the Nielson company.

It's not much, but it's something. We're lucky to no have a mortgage or anything. Currently, we're staying with friends.

But you can find something. Just keep looking, even in areas where maybe you don't think you fit.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng2 View Post
I am a Tampa resident who has been unemployed for the past 16 months and still looking for work. Is Tampa really that bad off in terms of unemployment? I hear people complain about their jobs so much when I only wish I had one to begin with. For those who never lost their job during this recession or those who are now currently working...keep in mind you have A LOT to be thankful for.
I would love to move back to my hometown (Tampa) but the economy there I've heard is terrible from all my friends.

My wife and I were living in Nashville in January, I had been laid off from my job and my wife was paying all the bills. A bad snowstorm hit the area and we had a steep driveway and couldn't get out. Being that it was Tennessee, They weren't really prepared for the storm and didn't salt the roads. Suffice to say, My wifes employeer wasn't happy that she wasn't there and fired her. We spent all of January and all of February looking for work and didn't get one single call.

We decided to take our income tax return and move to Houston, TX. We put everything except for three suitcases (one for each of us) and left. I won't even tell you that we got calls for work within the first week because that would be a lie, I was called for an interview in Houston on our way there. I'll never forget my cell phone ringing in Lafayette, LA.

We ended up getting better job offers in Louisiana and ended up in South East Louisiana but have sense decided to head back to Houston.

I would still packup and head back to Tampa if someone called me for a job or if the unemployment were under 7%

Good luck !

Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I would love to move back to my hometown (Tampa) but the economy there I've heard is terrible from all my friends.

My wife and I were living in Nashville in January, I had been laid off from my job and my wife was paying all the bills. A bad snowstorm hit the area and we had a steep driveway and couldn't get out. Being that it was Tennessee, They weren't really prepared for the storm and didn't salt the roads. Suffice to say, My wifes employeer wasn't happy that she wasn't there and fired her. We spent all of January and all of February looking for work and didn't get one single call.

We decided to take our income tax return and move to Houston, TX. We put everything except for three suitcases (one for each of us) and left. I won't even tell you that we got calls for work within the first week because that would be a lie, I was called for an interview in Houston on our way there. I'll never forget my cell phone ringing in Lafayette, LA.

We ended up getting better job offers in Louisiana and ended up in South East Louisiana but have sense decided to head back to Houston.

I would still packup and head back to Tampa if someone called me for a job or if the unemployment were under 7%

Good luck !
TXRyan - keep the faith, it won't always be like this. Tampa will recover sooner than a lot of places, maybe even sooner than everyone thinks. Good luck to you, and hope you can return to your hometown in the not too far off future.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
TXRyan - keep the faith, it won't always be like this. Tampa will recover sooner than a lot of places, maybe even sooner than everyone thinks. Good luck to you, and hope you can return to your hometown in the not too far off future.
Thanks, You never know though, So far so good with Houston.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM

I probably would have moved by now to be able to find work, but that unfortunately is not an option at the moment due to finances. I'm just trying to hold on while things improve.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM

13 posts, read 18,345 times
Are you still preferring Houston because of the economy? I am orginally from Nashville and we moved to Miami for my husband's masters. There are no jobs here so we are going to move. I lived in Tampa in the past but I know that there are not many jobs. I really want to stay in Florida for the weather. I didn't like the weather in Nashville. Can you tell me how living in Houston compares to Nashville and Tampa? Is it warmer than Nashville? As warm as Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: