Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:05 PM

877 posts, read 1,904,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrandon25 View Post
So Friday night we got in town and checked in our hotel. There were some locals there at the bar having a few drinks. We asked them about the area and they suggested South Tampa. They raved on about the housing and how great of a place it was. We got dressed up to go to dinner and on our way to dinner we rode through this area since it was on the way. We were not impressed!! Bars and night clubs line up and down the street like Bourbon Street in New Orleans. It was nothing but a big party zone. Now these guys told us they were married and had small kids so we took their opinion in consideration. So South Tampa was a big fat NO!!!!
South Tampa is very large so my guess is you just saw a small segment of South Tampa. It also has the highest rated high school so it something to consider if you move down here. That being said I think you might be happiest in New Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM

9 posts, read 18,134 times
You all may be right about South Tampa and I could be wrong. The way we were described the area was it was the area with the bars. I didnt mean to upset anyone but we were in my opinion miss informed about it the area. We did drive around a little bit and once I saw all the bars we didn't go very far. Like I said there was a lot we didn't see. We know nothing about the Tampa area and we are gathering as much info as possible, that is why I started this forum. I really appreciate everyone's input and advice. When we go back down we will make sure we look more into South Tampa.

Thanks All

Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM

17,484 posts, read 38,920,587 times
Hi - I know it must have been a lot to take in, coming here for the first time and trying to learn about the different areas. As others have mentioned, South Tampa is really one of the most desirable areas to live right in Tampa, and is not really lined with bars etc., that sounds like Ybor City you were describing. Also, not all of Pinellas is nice, you saw some nice areas, but there are some nasty parts too.

When you come again, you might explore the bedroom community of Dade City/San Antonio - it is so beautiful there - very hilly and green - about a 45 minute drive to Tampa from there. Fresh and clean, lots of nature but with all your basic stores for everyday living, and only 15 or 10 minutes to the south (Wesley Chapel) for more shopping. There are a lot of newer communities there is that is what you are looking for. There really are a lot of nice areas to explore around Tampa, something for everyone really.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:56 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,274,405 times
The only area with a large concentration of bars in South Tampa is Howard Avenue between Platt and Morrison. There are a few scattered neighborhood bars (mostly sports bars) throughout the rest of South Tampa, but the area as a whole is pretty quiet after 10 or 11.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 18,134 times
WOW!!!!! Hard time finding a rental. That's a little scary. We also want to rent for the first year and I heard there were plenty of rentals. I appreciate the info on the schools, just like you that is the most important thing for us. Let me know how it goes.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,291,443 times
If you are having a hard time finding a rental, you are not looking hard enough...

Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 AM

32 posts, read 49,229 times
We are moving to the Tampa area next summer from Hawaii. I will be working on MacDill. Like the other folks, our highest priority is the schools our kids will attend. Next, a nice, newer place with a 3 car garage in good neighborhoods would be a plus. I don't want a huge commute, but would be willing to sacrifice for my family. I'd still want to keep it under an hour, but 30 minutes or so would be best.

I've done a lot of research over the past months. I thought Brandon/Riverview would be good, but read too much about traffic around the mall in Brandon, and more important, the schools seem to have very low rating. So, for some time now, I've been looking at houses in the East Lake area and around "The Eagles" golf courses. East Lake HS and Sickles HS seem to be pretty highly rated.

Can anyone give me feedback on those areas/schools and what to expect from the commute to the base?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Old 09-22-2011, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 12,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbuckl View Post
We are moving to the Tampa area next summer from Hawaii. I will be working on MacDill. Like the other folks, our highest priority is the schools our kids will attend. Next, a nice, newer place with a 3 car garage in good neighborhoods would be a plus. I don't want a huge commute, but would be willing to sacrifice for my family. I'd still want to keep it under an hour, but 30 minutes or so would be best.

I've done a lot of research over the past months. I thought Brandon/Riverview would be good, but read too much about traffic around the mall in Brandon, and more important, the schools seem to have very low rating. So, for some time now, I've been looking at houses in the East Lake area and around "The Eagles" golf courses. East Lake HS and Sickles HS seem to be pretty highly rated.

Can anyone give me feedback on those areas/schools and what to expect from the commute to the base?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Hey Rich

We just moved to the Tampa Bay area from Hawaii too. My Husband is down at the CG Air station in Clearwater. Its only been a few months, so I wont be much help.

But here's what I have gathered. We are currently living in Wesley Chapel its considered "New Tampa" its really nice and well maintained up here, there is tons of shopping, and really family oriented etc. traffic isnt so bad, there are so many homes for sale (think Ocean Pointe, Kapolei or KoOlina), rent etc.. in wonderful gated neighborhoods. It takes my husband 35 minutes without traffic to get to Clearwater. Its all freeway traffic though (And not island style traffic, people drive over 50mph lol) We have gone to Macdill a few times for IDs etc. and it takes a little longer because we have to get off the freeway and go down Gandy blvd which is a city surface street-- stop and go traffic.

Brandon is nice looking. We haven't gone through any housing there. But the nearest Costco for us is there. It has a Westfield Mall, and just about every eatery or shopping you can imagine. Its clean, well maintained, everything looks pretty new.

East Lake is really nice. We have some friends who live over there, and they swear they wouldn't live anywhere else. Its more populated in Pinellas Co. after living on Oahu we wanted to stretch out a little bit, and kinda retreat from the crowds. So we decided on Pasco Co. But East lake feels a little more secluded, the high school is really nice, I heard they have a great football program there. Housing is still spendy, and in this economy that must mean its a nice area. I like the location too, its close enough to Tampa, and the beaches, and the little downtown in Dunedin etc.

Check out the news here too. I was a little horrified by the news, and that made me a little apprehensive about living in certain areas. Plus, my poor husband is only and E5 so we be "poor" people ha ha ha.

Good Luck with your move, and I hope that you and your family enjoy Tampa as much as we have been.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,376,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbuckl View Post

Thanks in advance!

Rich
can't comment on the east lake area but fwiw my coworker lives in south riverview and commutes to macdill in 35-40 minutes (arrives at 8am).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay