Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 PM

27 posts, read 78,844 times

Advertisements

I posted my question on a couple of older threads already but haven't gotten any response in the last few days, so thought I'd post a new one... Anyway ... a last minute change of orders (gotta love the Army) and we're headed down to Tampa after only a year in Northern VA. I know no one down there and just started my research on schools. I have two kids - rising 1st grader and a 4 year old and husband will be at MacDill. We absolutely love our elementary school and wonderful, established neighborhood here in Fairfax where we've made lots of good friends in a short time. So, of course now I'm on a mission to find something similar in Tampa and it seems like an overwhelming task! I don't need anymore information on Fishhawk Ranch - there is lots of it here and it does sound great and something I'll definitely check out, but I'd like more info on other areas in the Tampa Bay region - maybe closer to the beaches or city? We're going to rent and looking to spend up to maybe $3000 for a nice house with pool. My first priority is a great well rounded elementary school (not just great because of test scores) with an active PTA. Second criteria is looking for the right family-oriented community, where you can get to know people, kids play together, sports, activities, where it feels like a "home". I hate a cookie cutter neighborhood with big houses on little lots - prefer charming, older established neighborhood like we have up north but I don't know if I'd find that down there? in a family community with the good schools? Since we're moving so quickly - less than 3 weeks we don't have time for a house-hunting trip and need to have it narrowed down to a just a few different communities to target when we get there. Also, being military, our Tampa time will be short so don't want to rent something just to get there and then look around and move later on. Lastly, the commute time for my husband is secondary (his words not mine) for the right community! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 05:35 PM

38 posts, read 125,797 times
I moved to Safety Harbor with my wife and 2 boys ages 8 and 5 about 2 1/2 years ago and we just love it. My wife did the research and we chose this location because of the great schools located nearby. My sons go to Leila Davis Elementary and the school has high marks in my book.
Safety Harbor is a very family orientated small town/city. Both boys play soccer and little league and both programs here have hundreds of children enrolled.
Safety Harbor is also located an equal distance between Tampa and St. Petersburg allowing us to easily attend events in either city. Safety Harbor is also in Pinellas County and it is only a 15/25 minute ride to the beaches. We currently rent a 1500 sq. ft. 3BD 2BA home in a 1980's built development for $1,200.00 per month. Be careful when talking about established development in Florida. In my opinion most of the construction pre-1980 doesn't appear to be built with the best of standards that we enjoyed in the rest of the U.S.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:43 PM

877 posts, read 1,912,781 times
If you are willing to spend up to $3,000 definitely check out South Tampa. Look north of Gandy and South of Kennedy. Very established, non-cookie cutter neighborhoods with good schools. If I were you I'd look in Hyde Park and Palma Ceia.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Check out Bloomingdale East in Valrico. Fantastic schools, great community, easy commute to MacDill (including express bus) and lots of military folks.

RM

Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Try Fishhawk (near bloomingdale/valrico.. )

Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Thanks, all! I've heard and read enough about Fishhawk now to know it should for sure be on our list of areas to look at. Also will check out Bloomingdale and very intrigued to also scope out South Tampa area and Pinella County.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:59 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,120 times
I would second South Tampa. We have been planning a move to Tampa and Husband would be at Macdill. Great Schools, a great house with a pool, not a cookie cutter neighborhood, not far from the beachs were also on our list. We (as in *I*) did a lot of research on communities and narrowed it down to South Tampa. Most of the houses were a bit over our budget, but would fit perfectly into yours. The location was perfect for the commute to MacDill, the beachs, downtown, Busch Gardens, Disney, etc. There is a website for military members that sell or rent their homes. It is called militarybyowner dot com. You might find something to your liking on there.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Have a recommendation on an elementary school in South Tampa? Again, I can look up a rating but like to have an idea from someone who knows the area.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
A good friend of mine has taught at Mabry Elementary for 20+ years. She says it's all about the kids and wouldn't teach anywhere else. Her two boys went there as well. I have another friend with a special needs daughter who goes to Gorrie Elementary. She moved from a really big new home with pool at River Hills in Valrico to a small Davis Islands ranch house so her daughter could attend. I have no personal experience with these schools, so please do your research.

I think one challenge you may face is finding a South Tampa home with a pool. Sadly, there aren't that many.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 07-12-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
i grew up in NoVa. Fairfax has some of the highest % of college degreed professionals. if you liked NoVa, you will want South Tampa for a quick commute or New Tampa for a longer commute. both are neighborhoods with higher incomes and more professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay