Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 PM

9 posts, read 47,978 times

Advertisements

Okay everyone....this is what I'm getting so far....... Definitely don't live in zephyrhills if i want to meet people my age and have some nearby nightlife and fun. My options are Temple Terrace, someone said something about Carrolwood, and someone said something about Wesley Chapel. Now given the fact that I don't necessarily want to live in an area with high crime, but I definitely want to live in a decent area with lots of people my age to meet and mingle with and good nightlife close by......

I have heard that temple terrace has a lot of people my age there. because of all the people who go or did go to University of South Florida. Ybor is also a nearby luxury about living in temple terrace...because apparently the nightlife is pretty legitimate and very nearby...which would be great. So do I have these perspectives correct? What are all of your views??????

I'm really appreciating the great information everyone! Keep in mind that this is a big step for me since I will be moving out of state from Pennsylvania to Florida by myself! So all of your opinions are extremely valued and will go to good use! Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy24 View Post
Okay everyone....this is what I'm getting so far....... Definitely don't live in zephyrhills if i want to meet people my age and have some nearby nightlife and fun. My options are Temple Terrace, someone said something about Carrolwood, and someone said something about Wesley Chapel. Now given the fact that I don't necessarily want to live in an area with high crime, but I definitely want to live in a decent area with lots of people my age to meet and mingle with and good nightlife close by......

I have heard that temple terrace has a lot of people my age there. because of all the people who go or did go to University of South Florida. Ybor is also a nearby luxury about living in temple terrace...because apparently the nightlife is pretty legitimate and very nearby...which would be great. So do I have these perspectives correct? What are all of your views??????

I'm really appreciating the great information everyone! Keep in mind that this is a big step for me since I will be moving out of state from Pennsylvania to Florida by myself! So all of your opinions are extremely valued and will go to good use! Thanks again!!!
Yes, if I were your age and in your shoes, I would choose Temple Terrace. Despite what another poster said, Temple Terrace is a VERY nice area, just stay east of 56th street. When you drive around the area you will see what is nice. Also, there are nice apartments on Fletcher Ave. way east of 56th street, on the way to the interstate 75, take a drive through the area and see what appeals to you. This gives you an easy commute to Z-hills, and an easy commute to Ybor or downtown for nightlife and meeting people your age.

Anyway, that is what I would do.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
If not the Wesley Chapel area New Tampa or Tampa Palms area off of Bearrs would be easy to get on I75, and you'd be closer to Tampa to do stuff.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
You'll find that there are a few people on this forum that think sterile McMansion-style living is the only way to go and anything else is ghetto, which isn't anywhere close to reality in our parallel universe. To reaffirm some of the better advice, check out Google Maps Street View. Type in the address of an apartment complex address into Google Maps. When the "red pin" on the street map appears, click on it. You should see an option for "street view", which not only allows you to see the exterior of the complex, but also the neighboring street... AND you can actually "drive" up and down neighboring streets and throughout the area. If "street view" does not appear for some reason (meaning Google hasn't driven through yet), type in the name of the next closest major intersection and go from there.
You can also "search nearby" from a particular address using search terms like "supermarket", "coffee", "restaurants", etc. to give you an idea of what is close to your potential new address. It's a great relocation tool!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
If you're working in Zephyrhills, you're closest venues are in New Tampa. There are a few choices in restaurants, bars, coffee shops and movies. Google/Bing Zip code 33647. Also, there are two shopping malls in Wesley Chapel, Wiregrass and Groves. I see people hanging out at the Wiregrass restaurants/bars. Though I like Temple Terrace okay, I never thought of it as a place that people go to meet. It's more of a bedroom community with a golf course and a pretty good sports complex. There are plans to create a TT downtown, but it's still in conception phase. It is close to USF for concerts, sporting events, and Busch Gardens.

I wouldn't rule out Zephyrhills to meet people. St. Leo's college is nearby and I'm sure there are people to meet in your age group. Zephyrhills is also close enough to Disney Downtown and other locations in Orlando for entertainment.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 07-12-2010 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: spelling/grammar

Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
If you're working in Zephyrhills, you're closest venues are in New Tampa. There are a few choices in restaurants, bars, coffee shops and movies. Google/Bing Zip code 33647. Also, there are two shopping malls in Wesley Chapel, Wiregrass and Groves. I see people hanging out at the Wiregrass restaurants/bars. Though I like Temple Terrace okay, I never thought of it as a place that people went for entertainment. It's more of a bedroom community with a golf course and a pretty good sports complex. There are plans to create a TT downtown, but it's still in a conception phase.

I wouldn't rule out Zephyrhills to meet people. St. Leo's college is nearby and I'm sure there are people to meet in your age group. Zephyrhills is also close enough to Disney Downtown and other locations in Orlando for entertainment.
I'm sorry, TampaKaren, I agree with most of your posts, but as a native of Tampa and having lived in Dade City/Zhills, Z-hills is a horrible place to live to meet young people. It was too old for me and I am OLD! LOL And St. Leo is tiny, there is no action there AT ALL (I lived around there for 10 years) We are talking about where he can live, and still easily be between his job (Z-hills) and entertainment. To me this is by far the best compromise.

New Tampa is gated communities and families. Temple Terrace and the nice apartment complexes well east of the university is a great choice, easy to commute to his job, near the university for young people, and easy drives to the places a 22 year old guy would want (the university, Ybor, downtown, etc.) There are plenty of places just around the University for some nightlife. Anyway, it's all just my opinion, and when I was a young person, I always lived in that area - lots of young people around.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Yes, you're right, too. NiceGuy said repeatedly that Zephyrhills is not the place to meet people and I concur. I was just giving him some local options nearby. A friend of mine has a niece & nephew attending St. Leo's and they prefer Orlando's entertainment to Tampa. I also know there are many young (and single) professionals living and playing in New Tampa. I see them at the Muvico/Starbucks regularly. I also agree with you that if he lives in Temple Terrace that he would be between his job and downtown Tampa/Ybor. This said, I've been on a showing frenzy of 22 houses in TT over the past two weeks. Most of the people I've met there so far were 40+. Maybe they have children his age, but I haven't seen them.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 07-12-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, you're right, too. NiceGuy said repeatedly that Zephyrhills is not the place to meet people and I concur. I was just giving him some local options nearby. A friend of mine has a niece & nephew attending St. Leo's and they prefer Orlando's entertainment to Tampa. I also know there are many young (and single) professionals living and playing in New Tampa. I see them at the Muvico/Starbucks regularly. I also agree with you that if he lives in Temple Terrace that he would be between his job and downtown Tampa/Ybor. This said, I've been on a showing frenzy of 22 houses in TT over the past two weeks. Most of the people I've met there so far were 40+. Maybe they have children his age, but I haven't seen them.
TampaKaren, this is all good advice. I think what I and others mean about "Temple Terrace" is just the area well EAST of the University (56th st), lots of nice apartments to rent east of 56th street, not the single family homes of the golf course TT. I thought there would be a lot of younger college students there as well. One example is Carlton Arms - very nice complex in a great location. There are others, just don't know the names offhand. I think a lot of university students live in these.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
OP, you should check out the traffic pattern/conditions on 301/41 between Temple Terrace & Zephryhills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
TT is pretty rough in most areas but the rich areas.
Temple Terrace has a 10-year crime rate averaging 66% less than Tampa, 15% less than even Tarpon Springs (that dangerous! place to live) and it is about even with the national average.

Here is a map showing Temple Terrace boundries, please justify your statement and identify precisely where it is that "TT is pretty rough in most areas".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/TempleTerraceFL.gif (broken link)

Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
Quote:
There are plans to create a TT downtown, but it's still in conception phase.
Construction has started. Groundbreaking was just the other week.

City of Temple Terrace - Revitalize Temple Terrace (http://templeterrace.com/revitalize/index.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay