U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM

24 posts, read 38,143 times

Advertisements

Hello All. I am a 28 yr old AA female thinking about moving to Tampa. I am originally from Brooklyn, NY but currently living in Harrisburg, PA. Im looking for some advice on where to live in Tampa, apartment rental prices, where to look for jobs and colleges. Here are some questions you may have for me.

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.

I dont have a job yet but im a case manager currently for the county I live in. I have worked in Mental health, domestic violence and aging. I dont have my degree yet but have many years of experience. Any suggestions on where to look?

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?

I want to rent a one bedroom apartment. I pay only $610 now. I can probably go up to $750-$800. Will that be enough for a decent neighborhood? Do I need to budget for more rent?

Are schools a concern?

I have no kids but I am looking to finish my degree in social services. Any colleges in the area?

What is an acceptable commute time?

30-45 minutes.

What else is important to you? I dont need to live near the beach. Just want a decent safe place to live, hopefully with some things to do nearby.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,569 times
There are many opportunities for social services and mental health care in the area, health care is one of our leading and only growing industries. I would suggest the mental health care INC and Tampa General Hospital off the top of my head, Baycare has several facilities in the area as well.

For schools we have the University of Southern Florida, The University of Tampa, as well as many regional campus of the Phoenix University type, as well as Eckerd College and a couple of community colleges.

The school quality for kids is not as good as you would experience up north, but you can finish your degree here easily.

Housing is cheap right now, I think you can find a place for that rate without to much worry. Subleases of empty condos are the way to go, we have a glut of unoccupied and over built condos.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM

13,681 posts, read 9,340,195 times
You can rent a room from me cheap.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 PM

55 posts, read 99,606 times
You can live in New Tampa area and attend USF in Tampa. If USF in St. Petersburg has your major, you can live in the Shore Acres or Old Northeast areas. Another option is South Tampa which would give you access to the bridges to go to St Pete/Clearwater and also you will be near the more trendy malls (Westshore and International). Also, tuition at USF is very low and even lower once you are an instate resident.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
VA hospitals need case managers with your background. There's one near USF and another one in St Pete. There are clinics in Bradenton, Sarasota, and all over Tampa as well. Veterans coming out of Afghanistan and Iraq need case management and depression/suicide screening that you'd be good at doing - I think you'll be able to find work easily with your background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or