Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 09:23 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Thanks, all, for your responses so far.

Is all of Spring Hill prone to sink holes? I was told the possibilities were only around the Mariner area.

I don't know what kind of neighborhood this is considered: off the SH exit, left onto SH Drive, drive for a bit and then left on any street there's an area with the following street names of Godfrey, Bolger, Coronado, etc. Is this a decent area?
For Florida Pasco County probably has the highest incidence of sinkholes with Hernando County being second.
That does not mean they are not in other counties though or other states for that matter but the insurance is higher here due to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,384 times
Default Mike

So then you agree that 7 Hills is a high crime area, and its not just that area
and even before the affordable apts were put in, drugs ruled the areas from Mariner Blvd East to 19 and I'm talking 10 years ago. People come here thinking their going to escape what their running from, drugs, high taxes, crime, whether it be NY,NJ or LI and guess what, they gain nothing because what they ran from...........its all here.

We can discuss this till hell freezes over, and unless people wake up and try to do something, its not going to go away by keeping your head in the sand.
A problem exists.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,671 times
We've a great 3/2/3 built in '06 w/two addition. spare rooms w/$17,000+ in upgrades on a 1/3 acre, w/no serene build across road. It has a sturdy shed, herb gazebo and large yard but sorry, no pool. The price has been reduced to afford buyer a lanai and pool. We just didn't have time to put them in.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Songbird

I will agree that Seven Hills has some problems and it is in great part because of the affordable housing there.
I will not agree with what you try to portray, which is an entire county rife with crime and drugs.

Here is the Offense Reports from the Sherriff yesterday for Hernando. This is for the whole county not just Spring Hill.

Report Data (http://www.hcso.hernando.fl.us/Records/Reports.asp?QuickDate=Yesterday - broken link)

Now I don't have a report from the 41st Precinct in the Bronx, which is Hunts Points Precinct, but there are about 46,000 people in the area (which is less than a third of Hernando County's population) and they had 14 murders, 17 rapes and 351 felony assaults last year.

We can also compare to a nicer area of the Bronx. The 50th Precinct has about 101,000 people in it whcih is about 2/3 the size of Hernando County. They had 8 murders, 16 rapes and 150 felony assaults last year.

Hernando County cover 506 Sq. Miles with a population of about 175,000, for the Offense Report to have 31 entries on it for a day is not bad for a county of this size. You also need to look at what is on the report, of those 31 entries there are a few fraudulent use of credit card and some driving with a suspended licence. Yes there were a couple for possession of drug paraphernalia but I will take what is going on in Hernando County over just about any area in NYC anyday.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 AM

34 posts, read 120,328 times
Default Life in Spring Hill

We moved to Spring Hill from Orlando 2.5 years ago. Orlando got out of hand with crime and congestion and we'd been out to Spring Hill several times before for visits and liked what we saw.

I agree with most of what's been said here. The local government is a disaster. Its pretty rural compared to Orlando metro area. Finding work
has been easy, keeping it hasn't been. I worked for the State in Brooksville
Child Support office and was fired after 7 months because "I didn't fit in".
Guess what. I am from NYC. Bronx/Brooklyn. 17 years in Florida but I didn't
"fit in" in Brooksville. I interviewed for a job with Goodyear in Brooksville.
I was asked "Do you think you'd have a problem with the people here?".
What do you mean?
"Well, Brooksville people are different than Spring Hill people".
Man, is that true.

I work in Tarpon Springs now, 27 miles each way, but it's like working in a different world compared to my several Hernando County jobs.

Living in Spring Hill has been good though, we like it here. It's a retirement town that is changing with the times. We know our neighbors within 4 or 5 houses of us. We're good friends with our next door neighbor who would also vent the same frustrations most of us do here and he's from Michigan.
Spring Hill fills every consumer need I can imagine.

Overall, it's a nice place to live compared to a city, but you've gotta be prepared for a slower pace of life totally different from what your experienced in a major city or metro area.

Sinkholes? The whole state has sinkholes. The Winter Park Sinkhole (Google it) is huge. Right in the middle of a small city. It happens everywhere in Florida, ok, perhaps significantly more prominent in this part of the state.

I had to smile at the comment about the electric shopping cart users.
That is so true.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,384 times
Default Tom

I had to laugh as I read your post about "fitting in".......last year my hubby who is a retired Fed. with 5 degrees applied over in Brooksville to be a volunteer mediator for the courts, after the interveiw he was told, he was aggressive, probably a New Yorker and wouldn't "fit in with the court system in Brooksville" this is a man that sat 23 yrs on the bench in NYC. So I can understand it when you say "not fitting in". He is Bronx born, coming from
Sedgwick Ave. only a few years ago.

Hubby also goes to Tarpon Springs to St. Pete College, he lectures there, it takes him a little over a hour to get back and forth, he also says that he's met a couple of older people that were born in the Bronx and they chat about the "old" days of where they were born. He enjoys his time on campus and really enjoys talking about Art to his students. He also volunteers at the Art Museum on campus, where he is a docent.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:17 AM

137 posts, read 545,807 times
Isnt that descrimination? If you don't "fit in" because you're from another part of the country? That is what's wrong with this county. They're stuck in the past. If I had a position and was let go for not fitting in..I'd contact an attorney. Maybe not on the volunteer position....but I would do something else to expose their descrimination.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:21 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz0872 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We moved to Spring Hill Florida 4 years ago. My parents moved here 8 years ago. We, as everyone else, left Long Island New York to escape the high taxes and over crowding. We are now moving back. The reasons are so varied..from a financial standpoint: BUYER BEWARE!!!! THE TAXES ARE NOT CHEAP IN FLORIDA anymore and good luck getting homeowners insurance. I left a waterfront property in Freeport NY paying 5300 in taxes. I now pay in Florida over 4000. My homeowners in NY was 1100. Here, I cannot get traditional homeowners, as they will not cover my area because of the "possibility" of future hurricanes and sinkholes. I do not live anywhere near the water. I am stuck paying the state insurance, otherwise known as Citizens, 3000 a year.
Where is the savings? We did our homework. It was not like this when we moved down. Yes, the northern transplants who moved down here and built big houses raised the home values which, in turn, based on the ridiculous way they assess properties down here, raised taxes. But seriously, Florida, if you are going to charge "NY" prices for living here, you must start paying a "NY" wage. If, that is, you can get a job and manage to keep it.
My husband and I both have over 15 years experience in our respective fields. Jobs in our field were plentiful. It took my husband 5 months to get a job here and for me, it was over 1 year. Then, I was terminated after I gave birth to my daughter. I did sue, but lost due to the fact that in Florida and most of the south, they can and will fire you for any reason they want, without notice. Yes, NY is an At Will employment state, but I have to say, what hapened to me would never have happened in NY. I was told by various lawyers that they would not handle my case because I have too much going against me. 1) I am a woman, and the courts in my county are run by "The Good Ol Boys of Brooksville". 2) I am a Yankee and they hate Yankees. Brooksville Florida actually has a Hanging Tree that they celebrate. I understand all the heritage, but, seriously, a HANGING TREE?!! The KKK is alive and well here. That is an insult to humankind. I find that the Floridians I have had dealings with do not appreciate someone with a work ethic. Everything must remain status quo. Even if it will improve working/living conditions or make the company you work for a profit. If you suggest new ideas, or work in an efficient manner instead of a snails pace, you are seen as overbearing, threatening and intimidating. I also find that the majority of people that come here from other states -and there are LOTS-either have shady backgrounds or are just not sociable. We are used to having neighbors say hello, or at least wave. Here, my neighbors literally look the other way. My husband and I have not made one friend since we have been here--and it is not from lack of trying.
The builder we used to build our new home here went bankrupt shortly after our house was completed. He left over 100 homes incomplete, took their money and they are out hundreds of thousands of dollars. He ruined peoples lives. He is under investigation, but is still allowed to have an active general contractors license in this state!
Doctors are not required to carry malpractice insurance. I pay more for insurance here than I ever have and have been refused by my pediatrician for a sick visit for my child. I was told to go to the emergency room instead.
Crime is rampant, drug use is out of control and our county commissioners are made up of, in part, a former airline stewardess and former customer service representative. I don't know how they even had the chance to run for office with their lack of experience. They simply cannot balance a budget. Instead of taking all the monies they got ( huge impact fees from building, higher tax rolls, etc.) from all the northerners moving down in recent years and budgeting it out over a period of time to absorb future tax increases, they pocketed the money themselves (county commissioners are part time employees with a salary of $65000. a year!!) and raised taxes, in some cases 300%!!!!!! Now, the state is left in complete chaos and the taxpayers are on the hook for these increases! It is a MESS!!!! We are lucky--we can afford to move back and work. What about the 2/3 of the residents of Florida that are senior citiens or on a fixed income??!! Think twice before you retire here!
If anyone reading this is from Florida, or Hernando County where I live, they understand what I am saying. Bottom Line: Taxes and Insurance are not cheaper. Cost of Living is not cheaper. Hernando County is corrupt. The schools are bad and getting worse. There are 6600 houses for sale on the MLS in this county alone. I think that speaks for itself. Before moving south, check out how taxes are assessed in your area. Do not assume it is the same all over. It is not on square footage in Florida. It is on Market or assessed value. Make sure you can get homeowners insurance.
We knew it would be a significant trade off leaving NY. We will now gladly sacrifice living in a new home with all tile, a "lanai' and the sunshine for an older one with rugs, a deck and snow. I will happily pay "high" NY taxes for better schools where teachers actually earn a livable wage and care about the children they teach. I will be very happy to be able to go out on to a main road without seeing a Super Wal-Mart every 10 miles (Wal-Marts keep the average salary of an area low, which makes retailers and commercial investors reluctant to move to the neighborhood--there are 3 in Hernando county now, with another one in the works). I will be happy to see clean, clothed children and adults under 400 pounds with all their teeth. Sorry, southerners, from my observations, and I am speaking only to the ones I have seen with my own eyes in Florida--NOT ALL SOUTHERNERS-- you just do not care about personal hygeine or your overall appearence in general. Goodbye to the 50 motorized shopping carts per store that people who are not handicapped use to clog up the isles and stare at the salad dressing in the above said Wal-Marts. Shame on you all.
We never thought it would turn into the hell that it has. We cannot wait to get back to what we know to be civilization, where people actually care about other people, where people from all races, religions, sexual orientations and creeds are tolerated and welcomed, and progressing toward a better way of life and a strong work ethic and conducting oneself with integrity are of utmost importance.
Yeah, when I lived in FL (Pasco County) everyone knew the Klan still existed. It blew my mind, really.
Oh, and are you moving back to Freeport? Yikes.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:07 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sange77 View Post
Isnt that descrimination? If you don't "fit in" because you're from another part of the country? That is what's wrong with this county. They're stuck in the past. If I had a position and was let go for not fitting in..I'd contact an attorney. Maybe not on the volunteer position....but I would do something else to expose their descrimination.

And do what? "Yankee" isn't a protected group, and this is an at will state. It's perfectly legal. And honestly, after working with some folks who can't play well with others and make the whole workplace miserable, I'm not inclined to criticize.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,998 times
Default Hernando County Observatins

In the four years spent in Hernando county, I can whole heartily agree with your observations. I wish I was in a financial position to move because I would leave tomorrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz0872 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We moved to Spring Hill Florida 4 years ago. My parents moved here 8 years ago. We, as everyone else, left Long Island New York to escape the high taxes and over crowding. We are now moving back. The reasons are so varied..from a financial standpoint: BUYER BEWARE!!!! THE TAXES ARE NOT CHEAP IN FLORIDA anymore and good luck getting homeowners insurance. I left a waterfront property in Freeport NY paying 5300 in taxes. I now pay in Florida over 4000. My homeowners in NY was 1100. Here, I cannot get traditional homeowners, as they will not cover my area because of the "possibility" of future hurricanes and sinkholes. I do not live anywhere near the water. I am stuck paying the state insurance, otherwise known as Citizens, 3000 a year.
Where is the savings? We did our homework. It was not like this when we moved down. Yes, the northern transplants who moved down here and built big houses raised the home values which, in turn, based on the ridiculous way they assess properties down here, raised taxes. But seriously, Florida, if you are going to charge "NY" prices for living here, you must start paying a "NY" wage. If, that is, you can get a job and manage to keep it.
My husband and I both have over 15 years experience in our respective fields. Jobs in our field were plentiful. It took my husband 5 months to get a job here and for me, it was over 1 year. Then, I was terminated after I gave birth to my daughter. I did sue, but lost due to the fact that in Florida and most of the south, they can and will fire you for any reason they want, without notice. Yes, NY is an At Will employment state, but I have to say, what hapened to me would never have happened in NY. I was told by various lawyers that they would not handle my case because I have too much going against me. 1) I am a woman, and the courts in my county are run by "The Good Ol Boys of Brooksville". 2) I am a Yankee and they hate Yankees. Brooksville Florida actually has a Hanging Tree that they celebrate. I understand all the heritage, but, seriously, a HANGING TREE?!! The KKK is alive and well here. That is an insult to humankind. I find that the Floridians I have had dealings with do not appreciate someone with a work ethic. Everything must remain status quo. Even if it will improve working/living conditions or make the company you work for a profit. If you suggest new ideas, or work in an efficient manner instead of a snails pace, you are seen as overbearing, threatening and intimidating. I also find that the majority of people that come here from other states -and there are LOTS-either have shady backgrounds or are just not sociable. We are used to having neighbors say hello, or at least wave. Here, my neighbors literally look the other way. My husband and I have not made one friend since we have been here--and it is not from lack of trying.
The builder we used to build our new home here went bankrupt shortly after our house was completed. He left over 100 homes incomplete, took their money and they are out hundreds of thousands of dollars. He ruined peoples lives. He is under investigation, but is still allowed to have an active general contractors license in this state!
Doctors are not required to carry malpractice insurance. I pay more for insurance here than I ever have and have been refused by my pediatrician for a sick visit for my child. I was told to go to the emergency room instead.
Crime is rampant, drug use is out of control and our county commissioners are made up of, in part, a former airline stewardess and former customer service representative. I don't know how they even had the chance to run for office with their lack of experience. They simply cannot balance a budget. Instead of taking all the monies they got ( huge impact fees from building, higher tax rolls, etc.) from all the northerners moving down in recent years and budgeting it out over a period of time to absorb future tax increases, they pocketed the money themselves (county commissioners are part time employees with a salary of $65000. a year!!) and raised taxes, in some cases 300%!!!!!! Now, the state is left in complete chaos and the taxpayers are on the hook for these increases! It is a MESS!!!! We are lucky--we can afford to move back and work. What about the 2/3 of the residents of Florida that are senior citiens or on a fixed income??!! Think twice before you retire here!
If anyone reading this is from Florida, or Hernando County where I live, they understand what I am saying. Bottom Line: Taxes and Insurance are not cheaper. Cost of Living is not cheaper. Hernando County is corrupt. The schools are bad and getting worse. There are 6600 houses for sale on the MLS in this county alone. I think that speaks for itself. Before moving south, check out how taxes are assessed in your area. Do not assume it is the same all over. It is not on square footage in Florida. It is on Market or assessed value. Make sure you can get homeowners insurance.
We knew it would be a significant trade off leaving NY. We will now gladly sacrifice living in a new home with all tile, a "lanai' and the sunshine for an older one with rugs, a deck and snow. I will happily pay "high" NY taxes for better schools where teachers actually earn a livable wage and care about the children they teach. I will be very happy to be able to go out on to a main road without seeing a Super Wal-Mart every 10 miles (Wal-Marts keep the average salary of an area low, which makes retailers and commercial investors reluctant to move to the neighborhood--there are 3 in Hernando county now, with another one in the works). I will be happy to see clean, clothed children and adults under 400 pounds with all their teeth. Sorry, southerners, from my observations, and I am speaking only to the ones I have seen with my own eyes in Florida--NOT ALL SOUTHERNERS-- you just do not care about personal hygeine or your overall appearence in general. Goodbye to the 50 motorized shopping carts per store that people who are not handicapped use to clog up the isles and stare at the salad dressing in the above said Wal-Marts. Shame on you all.
We never thought it would turn into the hell that it has. We cannot wait to get back to what we know to be civilization, where people actually care about other people, where people from all races, religions, sexual orientations and creeds are tolerated and welcomed, and progressing toward a better way of life and a strong work ethic and conducting oneself with integrity are of utmost importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay