U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:03 AM

89 posts, read 313,255 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Well I've posted before about my husband's relocation to Tarpon Springs. We've been focusing on the Trinity area and have seen many houses, even made an offer on one. However, the owners refuse to negotiate because they believe they can get almost 500,000 for their home despite they're realtor and ours telling them their house is grossly overpriced. Anyway, now we're looking at the Odessa are and are wondering what you might all think. I really do appreciate all the advice I've gotten so far. Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 07:52 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,581,201 times
The market is so full of unsold houses, they are the ones who lose. So go after another house. I have seem both areas and I had a friend who lived in Odessa and she really liked it. I believe its just where you find the house you like. The areas are just full of just built houses which are kind of slow now. Hope you find another you like .
Good Luck.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:28 AM

68 posts, read 260,180 times
Just keep making offers. Somebody will likely accept your price.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 AM

What really surprised me is that they didn't even counteroffer. The husband wanted to but the wife thinks they'll get their price. The house is the one we want but we just don't have the time to wait around any more. I like the Odessa area but am concerned about the commute for my husband. Our daughter is up for a teaching position in Wesley Chapel so I was wondering about that commute as well.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:41 AM

57 posts, read 178,089 times
Check into Grey Hawk at Lake Polo. It is right on HWY 54 by the Suncoast Parkway. I live in Wesley Chapel and the drive from Grey Hawk was nothing.

The homes are beautiful in there and there are quite a few for sale.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 AM

We did look at homes in Gray Hawk and they are beautiful. What I'm wondering is if you had to pick an area which would it be? Trinity or Odessa? That's our problem.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:43 PM

169 posts, read 993,051 times
Odessa is more central to the county and it depends on which area in Trinity you're looking at.

Odessa - If you are looking at Ivy Lake estates the lots are larger than the planned communities of Trinity and it's a quicker commute to Tampa but further to Tarpon. Other areas of Odessa (except Grey Hawk - and the 20 acres contiguous to the south is up for sale at the moment so expect that to be redeveloped) are older communities and offer a larger home and lot for the money but most of those homes need the kitchen's and bath's remodeled. Budget $30K to $45K for a kitchen remodel and $10-$25K per average bath depending on your tastes.

Trinity is closer to Tarpon but the lots are smaller and the homes are a little older and smaller too. Trinity Oaks is larger homes and lots for Trinity but the homes are older (90's), Thousand Oaks are newer but some are smaller (the souther section is nicer) Thousand Oaks East is over built with a number of empty spec homes which were largely built by Centex/Lennar (not the greatest builder but OK) but you should be able to get a good value. Thousand Oaks West was built out by Windjammer and M/I and is nice but you have to go under the huge power lines to get in and eventually the land to the West (which is a well field for Aloha utilities) when and if Aloha utilities goes away (and there's a state rep trying to do away with them right now) will be redeveloped and some of the open areas will disappear.

Both areas have positive images for Pasco county and are affordable compared to areas in Pinellas county. There will be a LOT more development in Odessa in the coming years. Most of the farms there have been contracted for redevelopment and thousands of homes are scheduled to go in over the next 5 years. Trinity is more built out but there's a good deal of commercial development going on there so the shopping will be a little better and the construction will stop sooner.

So Recap:

Odessa: Older larger homes on larger lots - more new construction coming, shopping not as good now but getting better - closer commute to Tampa but further to Tarpon.

Trinity: Newer homes on smaller lots - shopping is better and going in now, construction in the area will be done sooner - further commute to Tampa but close to the job in Tarpon.

The seller who wouldn't take your offer will probably regret it.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:00 PM

Thank you so much for the direct answer. I really do appreciate it. My husband says he doesn't mind the commute as he believes it'll add 5 minutes to his commute. We really were interested in the Trinity area, especially Foxwood, but now, after the seller turned us down, we're so confused. We have to move and find a place and really aren't interested in renting.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 PM

13 posts, read 58,412 times
Under $500,000...
You should have no problem finding a nice house in Tarpon itself..
many places in the area, to find a house.

Tell that dumb ass who did not sell to you, the'll be wishing they did in a few more months.. poohcorner... MAKE SURE YOU BUY SOMETHING THAT WILL APPRAISE FOR ATLEAST 80% of the value in 6 months.. The market is still in a downward spiral ..........

Old 06-25-2007, 02:55 PM

436 posts, read 1,213,597 times
Hi Pooh, we've talked before. I am making settlement mid July at Grey Hawk in Odessa. I can tell you more after that. You might want to give Grey Hawk another look, because of the market they are giving really great incentives to buy. The houses go from very expensive to the norm for new construction. I built with Smith Family Home and so far everything has been great. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or