Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times

Advertisements

Father, 3 sons killed in St. Petersburg crash

St. Petersburg police say a 20-year-old man faces serious criminal charges in connection to a deadly accident.

Emergency crews were on the scene near a 7-Eleven convenience store for hours overnight.

According to St. Petersburg Police Department officials, it happened early Sunday shortly after 12:45 a.m. at 9th Street N. and 22nd Avenue N.

Police say Demetrius D. Jordan was driving a 2001 Chevrolet Impala southbound on 9th Street N.

According to witnesses, the car may have been speeding when it allegedly ran a red light at 22nd Avenue N.

--------------------------------------

A father and his three sons were riding in the Fusion, and all of them were pronounced dead on the scene. All four were from Orlando.

Elroy McConnell, 51
Kelly D. McConnell, 19
Nathan S. McConnell, 24
Elroy McConnell III, 28

Jordan and his 20-year-old male passenger were both transported to Bayfront Hospital with serious injuries.

Investigators say Jordan has been charged with four counts of DUI manslaughter, plus another count of DUI serious bodily injury for his own passenger in this case.

------

The penalties for DUI should be heavier and also for speeding!

What a tragedy for a family driving and spending their day together just because some a$$hole wants to drive while being under the influence....

Today we went to the beach and we were cut off at least 3 times...saw people going through red lights even after the light was red for seconds...and others driving like they also were drunk or under the influence of something else...if not than they were just crazy and none of them were elderly...all young people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,589,159 times
I am amazed at how lenient the courts seem to be with DUI's. A friend of mine has a neighbor who has had 4 of them and not only is not in jail, but is still driving.

Stories like this are so sad.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 PM

393 posts, read 1,493,123 times
That is horrible and so sad. I was witness to a car accident last night on Ulmerton. I'm pretty sure the driver that slammed his pickup full-speed into the back of an RV stopped at a red light was intoxicated. He/she did not even try to swerve or slam on the breaks. Thankfully the driver of the RV got out and seemed to be okay.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,239,019 times
As a person who has had a family member murdered by a drunk driver, this needs to stop.

The only way to stop it is to sentence the drunk drive to death and issue a warning, if you drink and drive and get caught, 30 years in jail period, no questions asked. If you murder someone, auto death penalty.

This killer just wiped out an entire family. We do not need loser people like this on our streets.

Penalties need to be stepped up bigtime.

Sad that this family just got ruined by an idiot.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
[quote=Maggi07;15293469]I am amazed at how lenient the courts seem to be with DUI's. A friend of mine has a neighbor who has had 4 of them and not only is not in jail, but is still driving.

There not that lenient in other states. In Florida they get 4 and 5 DUIs and still have a license.

In other states you lose license the 1st time. It is a joke here.

I have also never seen so many red light runners as there are here.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 AM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
As a person who has had a family member murdered by a drunk driver, this needs to stop.

The only way to stop it is to sentence the drunk drive to death and issue a warning, if you drink and drive and get caught, 30 years in jail period, no questions asked. If you murder someone, auto death penalty.

This killer just wiped out an entire family. We do not need loser people like this on our streets.

Penalties need to be stepped up bigtime.

Sad that this family just got ruined by an idiot.
As if it wasn't sad enough...the 2 oldest brothers had families of themself.....

I'm so sorry for your lost.

I was in court as a witness and saw first hand how lenient the judge was with DUI's..."do you need your car"...answer "yes"...okay, and the person can keep driving.

if he would have said "no", I doubt he wasn't going to drive....who is checking on it anyway.

Just as it was in Europe...you can tell by the model of the car who the speeders mostly are. So if you use your mirrors a lot you can prevent it by driving in a defense way.

Through your ego's aside and let the crazy drivers pass and hope they run into a police car checking on speed...I'm over the way of getting mad in my car, my life and getting back home is more important!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
We need to install and enforce much stronger traffic laws if we expect to make a dent in the 40,000 traffic deaths that occur in America every year.
Some places in other parts of the world will permanently suspend your driving privileges for a first time DUI.
My mom got t-boned at an intersection last month up in Hernando county (hwy 19),the guy wasnt drunk but for some reason he was distracted enough to blow right through a red light,fortunately no one was injured..

Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
I can guarantee that this piece of garbage that caused this crash(I can't call it an accident) had no insurance and most likely no valid DL.

Very common here due to the lax laws.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,312,897 times
Drunk driver kills Orlando father, three sons, police say

"Jordan's father Homer broke down moments after learning his son, who is not old enough to buy alcohol, is accused of the horrific crime."

My sympathies to the family & friends of both the victims and perpetrator.

Murder involves killing but killing is not necessarily murder. Murder connotes premeditation. It is what you set out, specifically, to do. By that then, putting a killer to death is murder. As a member of the electorate, I do not appreciate the state murdering in my name. As a member of society, I am appalled by the bloodlust exhibited here.

Retribution is not peace. Bringing more pain to the family of the drunk driver will not ease the pain of the family of those he killed. It only brings more pain.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,204,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I am amazed at how lenient the courts seem to be with DUI's. A friend of mine has a neighbor who has had 4 of them and not only is not in jail, but is still driving.

Stories like this are so sad.
I attend a lot of concerts, baseball, hockey and NFL games in the area and see a lot of intoxicated people at the venues - I know not all of them have designated drivers. These people are out there driving - hoping not to get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay