Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjjkelly View Post
We're coming from a city that has only 20k pop now... Brandon's in the 70k's?? Guess I'm just a small town at heart

Shawn in AK
Hmm i wonder where everyone is at. It honestly seems much smaller than it really is I guess - Brandon is 29 sq foot miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 PM

23 posts, read 85,310 times
Valrico for sure! I moved from WNY to FL, I will be here 4 years. Bloomindale area is beautiful-There are alot of military folks out there. I live in zip code 33594, you can also check out 33596 (bloomingdale area). I have 1 in High School, and the other is in middle school- and they both love their schools!!! Yes, Lithia is also very nice. A little further out-- there is a beautiful community called Fish Hawk.. that would be my number one choice-- however there is only a 2 lane road that funs out to fishhawk- and the commute is a little longer- Schools are top notch there..check out Alafia elementary, burns middle, and bloomingdale high- Valrico 33596 area. My kids go to Brandon high school, Mann middle school, and yates elementary school in 33594- these schools are more racially diverse, however I have no complaints.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,982 times
Brandon is a nice area for florida. Lots of families and good schools. You are gonna NEED to take the toll road to the base, welcome to a place that has no state tax. It's kinda pay as you go. Brandon/Valrico has a lot of good restaurants, activites, etc. The mall isn't too bad either. It's close to Tampa so you can get to concerts, shows and sporting events in about 15-20 minutes. It is also close to the 75 and I-4 so you can get on and get to orlando/disney/universal, etc. or the beach, the zoo, imax, etc. One thing you want to look for in that area is train tracks, stay away from them as they have trains in the middle of the night and it will bother you if you are not used to the horns (at every intersection). We just moved back here from Bradenton and we are happy to be back. More people with teeth and student loans if you know what I mean? Don't forget to check out the Brandon chamber of commerce. They can send you a lot of "welcome to brandon" type of info. There should be a lot of info online as well, but you've probably already seen that. Oh yeah, try to find a place with a pool or community pool, it gets super humid hot here during the summer. Good luck and welcome!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Valrico is perfect if you're looking for a town that perfectly mocks a small town without the population to support it. You're a good 15 min. drive from anything.

I recently moved to Brandon from Valrico, and I lived in Orlando and Tampa before that... Let me say, I am AMAZED at how much crime is actually in Brandon. It started with the bum who got stabbed, then lit on fire in a dumpster (Man stabbed, shoved in duffle bag and set on fire | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com) and I'm now having fun walking home from work (I work nights) with a police helicopter following me home and police on every corner from Kings to Parsons (and probably further). Honestly, just move to Tampa.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 AM

I've never seen any police going here in brandon, and i live ON parsons, so i dont know where you're saying that. Crime is not as bad as you make it out to be, every area is going to have *some* crime, but this is not a crime riddled city.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I've never seen any police going here in brandon, and i live ON parsons, so i dont know where you're saying that. Crime is not as bad as you make it out to be, every area is going to have *some* crime, but this is not a crime riddled city.
Then I'll take a picture the next time I'm walking home from work and prove you wrong. As of last week, every night I walked home, there was a police Helicopter flying around the giant church on Parsons. There were police at every intersection from Parsons to Kings. There was a van that was stopped by a good 7 cop cars ON Parsons while I was walking to get some food. The body that was stabbed and lit on fire happened right behind the businesses on Parsons. So, I really don't know what Parsons you're living on, because it's not the one in Brandon, Fl 33510. I wont even mention how close Parsons is to Seffner and the crime that goes on down there, I'll keep it strictly to Parsons/Kings/60. As I said, I work nights... If you don't see crime, police, helicopters, etc... Leave your house after 6 pm.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM

I live down on parsons just off of lumsden, but yes, I drive out all times of the day and I've never seen a single helicopter or cop cars on every block as you suggest. I think you are over-exaggerating, but whatever.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I live down on parsons just off of lumsden, but yes, I drive out all times of the day and I've never seen a single helicopter or cop cars on every block as you suggest. I think you are over-exaggerating, but whatever.
Like I said, I'll take pictures next time I walk home.

Denial, it's not just a river in Egypt.

By the way, I take it the dumpster body is just propaganda also?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Yeah, cuz no crime ever happens in any city. Not like things like that happen on a daily or weekly basis here.

How exactly am i in "denial" if I never see things like you're mentioning? You linked one news story, that's hardly the norm here.

If you dont like living here, I suggest maybe you move.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
I thought the dumpster body was behind Florida Orthopaedic Institute on Margaret St?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay