Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Called my mother and sister up in Rochester to see if they have this charge. Mom broke out her bill and said no the only charges they have are for the actual electric and taxes. Sister has yet to get back to me. I find it weird that things would charge for customer service......
It has to be a hidden cost someone in the bill. Maybe the other companies in other states don't itemize like TECO. Someone has to pay for the expenses of reading a meter, answer helpline phones, etc. Do you expect it to be done for free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Do any cities not have a monopoly provider for electricity?
im saying that some citys have more than one electric service provider some citys have two or three company that handle it and it is called competion for your business .

Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I understand your comment, I just never lived anywhere that gave us a choice on electric provider.

w
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im saying that some citys have more than one electric service provider some citys have two or three company that handle it and it is called competion for your business .

Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
It has to be a hidden cost someone in the bill. Maybe the other companies in other states don't itemize like TECO. Someone has to pay for the expenses of reading a meter, answer helpline phones, etc. Do you expect it to be done for free?

Yes I Do. I dont pay a hidden cost when I go to the grocery store or any store for them to work the cash register and answer a phone. When i go to the bank they do not charge me to use their services. I dont pay brighthouse a customer charge.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Yep, you pay for all that in the grocery store - it's just put into the price of your groceries where you can't see it. As for banks for all your services, you just don't get an itemized bill. Companies don't provide services for free - the cost is put on the customer. As for TECO, you just see it in the itemized bill.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Yep, you pay for all that in the grocery store - it's just put into the price of your groceries where you can't see it. As for banks for all your services, you just don't get an itemized bill. Companies don't provide services for free - the cost is put on the customer. As for TECO, you just see it in the itemized bill.
What he said ^^^.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
So, I just got my first month bill, and saw a 10 dollar customer charge on it. I call and ask what that is, they said that is their monthly charge for them to provide customer service (IE: answer their phones or provide meter readings). Are they THAT bad up for money that they have to CHARGE a customer for what they should be providing anyway? I mean, I've never seen a fee for customer service on any utility bill before.

Teco electric charges 10.50.. so that means 20.50 a month... 246 a year for them to provide me customer service. Please tell me this is a damn joke? My water bill (different company) doesnt have a "customer charge", so I assume this is a TECO thing?
Your calculation is wrong. You get only one charge per month. unless you have two accounts, of course. Hillsborogh county water charges $4 or so too.

But here is a consolation for you next year, if that helps.

Electric bills locally may drop a few bucks next year

Old 09-01-2010, 06:09 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Your calculation is wrong. You get only one charge per month. unless you have two accounts, of course. Hillsborogh county water charges $4 or so too.

But here is a consolation for you next year, if that helps.

Electric bills locally may drop a few bucks next year
Yes, I have TECO for Electric (10.50 a month customer charge) and TECO/People's Gas for natural gas (10.00 a month customer charge).

Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
If you think TECO is making too much money, you can buy a percentage interest of the company. 160 shares of stock would pay you enough dividends to cover the 10.50 per month.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have lived in several places across the US and never had more than 1 electric co or water co. Electric is usually a monopoly because of the cost involved.

Until recently you only had one option for phone too.

I have to agree everyone is paying for it, they just don't see it listed on their bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay