Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 AM

913 posts, read 872,709 times

Advertisements

What are the best deals, and best services. hpw much do all 3 cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 AM

25 posts, read 109,213 times
Default Depends on where you live

this varies WIDELY from place to place in this area. There is a huge ongoing debate as to whether Brighthouse or Verizon is better. I've had both. The major complaint about Verizon is customer service. My plan was purchased through our apartment complex- so it was a commercial contract and I never had to deal with customer service. I paid about $100/mo for Cable/Internet. The picture was great and the internet was fast. There is a contract for residential service, however, and Fios isn't available everywhere.
Brighthouse is the other option. We pay about $120 for Cable/Internet- we got DVR this year or the price would have been almost the same. Customer service is great, but the picture has issues sometimes. No Contract.
Dish is also an option, but people have told me that its a bad idea in FL because of the storms.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I use Brighthouse for Internet Only. I do not have cable TV, I have a dedicated machine hooked up to my TV and watch everything online.

I received a flyer from a company called Knology in the mail the other day. They provide Internet, Phone and TV. They are only in Pinellas County and I have not heard anything about them, good or bad.

I am sticking with Birghthouse for now. I have no desire to change. My internet is $48/mo after taxes and I am happy with their customer service as well.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
KCGator: There is not a contract for residential with Verizon any more, atleast not for fios, but I imagine its the same for regular as well. I signed up in July and did not sign a single thing and can cancel whenever i want.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
I recently had to use Verizons customer service and was VERY impressed. I was angry about having to switch from brighthouse to verizon because I was quite happy with brighthouse, but now that i have switched, i will never go back. Verizon is HANDS DOWN superior to brighthouse in every way. Satellite is just stupid to have in this area because of weather.

My great experience with verizon might be a fluke, but I am happy thus far

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
My Fiancee works for Fios we opted to go Brighthouse. We pay $139.00 that includes; on demand, HD, HD Box, DVR and 20/10 internet. It would be cheaper but HD Boxes and DVRs are extra then just having a normal like Box TV Setup.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM

17 posts, read 41,495 times
Moving to Lutz at the end of Sept, from Milwaukee and Ive been shopping around.

FIOS seemed the best bang for the buck....and fastest...if you are streaming video online.
however Directv has the NFL option...but storms could be bad for satellite.
Brighthouse seemed like a good deal for 20/10 Internet.
I heard very bad reviews on Comcast, but not that bad pricewise.
AT&T, (bellsouth) is also reasonable, but coverage is iffy.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AROKIS View Post
Moving to Lutz at the end of Sept, from Milwaukee and Ive been shopping around.

FIOS seemed the best bang for the buck....and fastest...if you are streaming video online.
however Directv has the NFL option...but storms could be bad for satellite.
Brighthouse seemed like a good deal for 20/10 Internet.
I heard very bad reviews on Comcast, but not that bad pricewise.
AT&T, (bellsouth) is also reasonable, but coverage is iffy.
I didnt know comcast was down here.

I cannot tell you how often i am in a bar or resturant in the afternoon during some rain and clouds and all of the TVs say "Searching for Signal".

Satellite TV shouldn't even be a consideration for those who have access to cable. Maybe people way in the boonies or in resturants need it because there is no other option, but it is AWEFUL.

Go with FIOS. it is the best. The HD channel line-up is good, and the set top box interface blows brighthouse away.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM

65 posts, read 354,571 times
Post Brighthouse Works For Me

I've been with Brighthouse for over 5 years now, and on balance they've done just fine by me (~$120 a month for all three). They seem to be pretty responsive in general, and I've never had too much hassle when I needed a replacement box or such. They contract out their on-site service and installs to Knight, and like any contractor, I've run into good guys and idiots.

Only thing that bugs me about Brighthouse is the way it seems like they always have some new deal for you when you go in to try to reduce your monthly bill. It makes me feel like I never really know if I'm paying the real price or whatever the guy made up at the time.

On the other hand, my experience with Verizon comes from my girlfriend. When Verizon installed in her neighborhood, they started coming to her door all the time and bugging the crap out of her sign up with them. That got old fast.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM

30 posts, read 103,462 times
Brighthouse is the number one provider around here. Its hard to find areas where they have Comcast and Verizon FIOS. I've had all 3 (lived up North) and FIOS is by far the best, IMO.

Brighthouse is the WORST. They do have great customer service, and believe me you will need it. Their installation is horrible. I've had two separate installs and both went terrible. I'm on my second DVR box with them and will be calling soon to have it replaced AGAIN.

If you can get FIOS, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay