Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 11:53 AM

69 posts, read 86,802 times

Advertisements

5 Important Things wrong in Tampa -

1. People who moan about traffic.
2. People who moan about "how hard it is to make friends".
3. People who moan about "transplants".
4. People who moan about there being "no jobs"..
5. People who.. well just moan.

Come on guys.. I think Tampa is quality and can't wait to get there permanantly.. and yes I have spent enough time over there to form an opinion. At least you lot have the choice to get in your cars and go places right now.. All I can see of mine right now is an aerial sticking out of snow!! and thats been for 2 weeks!! aaaaargh!! ;0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 11:56 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Really? What about your insurance rates? Fortunately, since I was stopped In Lee and Collier counties and took that stupid safe driver course (twice) I've been careful and try not to give into people like you who try to drive me off the road when I'm obeying the law.

I guess writing a check for over $200 is no big deal to you, but it is to me.
I'm with you, Nancy. I don't like paying for tickets or having my insurance raised. I had to take that course last year for going only a few miles over the speed limit.

"Aggressive drivers" are a large part of the complaint people have about drivers here. And the thing is, most of those drivers are from somewhere else.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsmurf View Post
5 Important Things wrong in Tampa -

1. People who moan about traffic.
2. People who moan about "how hard it is to make friends".
3. People who moan about "transplants".
4. People who moan about there being "no jobs"..
5. People who.. well just moan.

Come on guys.. I think Tampa is quality and can't wait to get there permanantly.. and yes I have spent enough time over there to form an opinion. At least you lot have the choice to get in your cars and go places right now.. All I can see of mine right now is an aerial sticking out of snow!! and thats been for 2 weeks!! aaaaargh!! ;0)
That first one pisses me off. I agree with the rest except number 3, only because I dislike Transplants. I dont have a deep enough opinion to moan and groan though I just question why they want to come here.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
That first one pisses me off. I agree with the rest except number 3, only because I dislike Transplants. I dont have a deep enough opinion to moan and groan though I just question why they want to come here.

Thanks for agreeing with the majority of my points.. However coming over from scotland am I going to be one of these "transplants" you so detest?
Sorry, I didn't get your Native American name?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Ironsmurf, you sound a lot like someone on another forum who called me xenophobic because I tried to explain that someone who vacations in FL or retires here can't possibly understand what it's like to work and raise a family, which would be the same no matter where you are. I mean, ask someone who spent a couple of weeks at a resort in Puerto Rico, and he'll tell you it's a beautiful country with warm friendly people. True, but over 44% of its residents live under the poverty level.

As you said, we're all from somewhere else. We just have different reasons for being here.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I tried to explain that someone who vacations in FL or retires here can't possibly understand what it's like to work and raise a family, which would be the same no matter where you are. I mean, ask someone who spent a couple of weeks at a resort in Puerto Rico, and he'll tell you it's a beautiful country with warm friendly people. True, but over 44% of its residents live under the poverty level.

As you said, we're all from somewhere else. We just have different reasons for being here.
Excellent points. Ironsmurf, the grass is always seemingly greener, isn't it? I came here 15 years ago from Los Angeles. Back then (and I am sure still) it was a good tradeoff. But that still doesn't make this area any more pleasant to live and work in. Going somewhere on vacation is MUCH different from having to find a job, commute, and survive from weekend to weekend. And I think that the people who LIVE here have more of a right to gripe about it than someone who DOESN'T live here has the right to gripe about us griping about it.
I had to drive to south St. Pete from New Port Richey last week for my job. It was the lousiest experience I ever had. I have dealt with L.A. rush hour traffic, earthquake rerouting, and everything LA had to offer, and that didn't hold a candle to the traffic congestion and commute times I had to deal with last week. If you are coming out here to retire and sit in your condo all day and drive to the beach once in a while, I am sure you will love it. But for people like us who have to exist in this mess, we can gripe all we want.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Excellent points. Ironsmurf, the grass is always seemingly greener, isn't it? I came here 15 years ago from Los Angeles. Back then (and I am sure still) it was a good tradeoff. But that still doesn't make this area any more pleasant to live and work in. Going somewhere on vacation is MUCH different from having to find a job, commute, and survive from weekend to weekend. And I think that the people who LIVE here have more of a right to gripe about it than someone who DOESN'T live here has the right to gripe about us griping about it.
I had to drive to south St. Pete from New Port Richey last week for my job. It was the lousiest experience I ever had. I have dealt with L.A. rush hour traffic, earthquake rerouting, and everything LA had to offer, and that didn't hold a candle to the traffic congestion and commute times I had to deal with last week. If you are coming out here to retire and sit in your condo all day and drive to the beach once in a while, I am sure you will love it. But for people like us who have to exist in this mess, we can gripe all we want.
Ha! My Fiancee lives in Tampa and I have stayed there for a heck of a lot longer than a vaccation so please be sure of your facts before you begin to patronise. If you don't like it leave.. No Im not coming there to retire, and drive to the beach once i a while.. Im heading over there to improve my life and be happy, you should try it sometimes!!!!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsmurf View Post
Ha! My Fiancee lives in Tampa and I have stayed there for a heck of a lot longer than a vaccation so please be sure of your facts before you begin to patronise. If you don't like it leave.. No Im not coming there to retire, and drive to the beach once i a while.. Im heading over there to improve my life and be happy, you should try it sometimes!!!!

Yes and you said she works for Busch Gardens who just laid off about 200 people. Bottom line is you have may have visited but now you will have to find a job. You're going to have a lot of competition.

And many employers(especially here) if they have a job may be more willing to give it to a local who has been out of work over someone from another country who just got here. Sorry, but I'm just being honest.

You should try out adventures when you're young, but just remember you're coming to the US when there is record high unemployment and it isn't getting any better.

I hope your bringing a large savings account.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes and you said she works for Busch Gardens who just laid off about 200 people. Bottom line is you have may have visited but now you will have to find a job. You're going to have a lot of competition.

And many employers(especially here) if they have a job may be more willing to give it to a local who has been out of work over someone from another country who just got here. Sorry, but I'm just being honest.

You should try out adventures when you're young, but just remember you're coming to the US when there is record high unemployment and it isn't getting any better.

I hope your bringing a large savings account.
Correct, 200 were laid off my thankfully my fiancee wasnt one of them. With regards to the rest of your comments I appreciate what you are saying but I prefer to remain positive.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
While unemployment is a problem, there are jobs out there. My son has received 5 calls about jobs in the last month. Some were contract and others were permanent.

There are a lot of things to like about living in Tampa.. if all you do is focus on the bad then you are going to be unhappy. IMO if something bad happens it doesn't mean the whole area is to blame.

I have to agree the traffic is bad especially at rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay