Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Cost of living here is cheap compared to a lot of places! Traffic and road rage are pretty bad. You have a lot of Notherners who tend to be offensive drivers and a lot of snow birds/old people which tend to drive awefully slow. this makes for a deadly mix.

I agree with all of these, especially with the Panhandling thing, although Tampa is working on legislation to make it ileagal. The reason it has gotten so bad over the past few months is that St. Pete has outlawed it, driving them all here.

And the craigslist thing????? craigslist scams are nationwide and hit every area. most if not all of the scams do not originate here in tampa.

My apartment in New Tampa costs me 1000+ with utilities, compared to if I was to move back home it would be 605 for a two bedroom townhome including utilities. It all depends on where in Tampa you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:20 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
Yeeshhh.. no wonder i'm so terrified to drive here. Went from #46 Nebraska to #11 Florida! LOL

Quote:
Im from long island... I am an aggressive driver. all of my friends down here from the northeast, primarily NY drive fairly aggressive. My friends from FL and transplants from the midwest arent that bad.

Florida DOES NOT have some of the worst drivers in the entire country if we are doing this by state. From south to north, DC/Maryland/VA, NJ, NY, Eastern PA, GA, all have worse drivers. only place I have lived with better drivers is TX and SC.

After I typed this- I checked real stats. FL is #10. some of the places i listed above were actually worse then florida, as i said they would be.

1. (WORST) New York - 70.0
2. New Jersey - 70.5
3. Dist. of Columbia - 71.9
4. California - 73.3
5. Rhode Island - 73.8
6. Louisiana - 74.1
7. West Virginia - 74.8
7. Hawaii - 74.8
9. New Hampshire - 74.9
9. Kentucky - 74.9
10. Florida - 75.2[LEFT]
See full article from WalletPop: Worst drivers in America by state (http://srph.it/ahqOZM - broken link)
[/LEFT]

Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
I think it really depends on the neighborhood. West Tampa is worse than South Tampa, which is worse than Seminole Heights. Maybe it's just me.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Below is the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsyrax View Post
Hi I'm considering a move to Tampa with my husband and 18 month old son. As I know no place in this nation will be heaven on earth and perfect in any way.

What I would like to know is what is the quality of life like in Tampa

Quality of life defined from wiki as dependent on

(1) wealth and employment,

(2) environment,

(3) physical and mental health,

(4) education,

(5) recreation and leisure time, and

(6) social belonging.

I would say (1) is on you. (2) is not bad. (3) as far as facilities we have few top 100 in the nation. (4) doesn't have a lot going for it here. But with parent involvement can be overcome. (5) Is as best as you can get if what you are looking is related to water, major sports and the like. (6) pleople complain quite a bit but I would leave that on you too!

Are people satisfied

The one living here? I would like to think so. Otherwise, we won't be here. But I can understand if some can't leave and are still unhappy. But we have quite a few who left and still keep telling us how bad is here ,

Is it an overall livable city?

Sure, that's why I am still here..

Kindly answer the question above for more insight!!

Thanks.

You are welcome

Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
DW does not work and is totally involved with my kids education. I originally hoped that she would return to the workforce since they are getting older. It has become more apparent than ever that she must continue to stay home and help with homework and school activities for my children to get a free ride to college. This is not a bad thing since college will cost me $150,000+ X 3.

The education system is great here, but requires a whole lot of parental involvement. Wow, imagine that.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Cost of living here is cheap compared to a lot of places! Traffic and road rage are pretty bad. You have a lot of Notherners who tend to be offensive drivers and a lot of snow birds/old people which tend to drive awefully slow. this makes for a deadly mix.

I agree with all of these, especially with the Panhandling thing, although Tampa is working on legislation to make it ileagal. The reason it has gotten so bad over the past few months is that St. Pete has outlawed it, driving them all here.

And the craigslist thing????? craigslist scams are nationwide and hit every area. most if not all of the scams do not originate here in tampa.

Craig, usually you and I but heads. Although I have to agree with you on this point. Its infortunate that many cities in CL are now over ran by those looking to make a buck. It used to be a sort of community, but captalists have found a way to infiltrate.
[

Quote:
I think they were talking about the initial registration fee. To have a car titled is $400.
Yep, $$90 bucks for me. Although I have to admit I paid an extra $25 to have a cool License Plate. I figured if I am paying $400+ to title a car I might as well get a cool license plate. I got a "Save Our Seas" plate. Awesome shark on it, check it out.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-20-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsyrax View Post
Hi I'm considering a move to Tampa with my husband and 18 month old son. As I know no place in this nation will be heaven on earth and perfect in any way. What I would like to know is what is the quality of life like in Tampa, are people satisfied, is it an overall livable city? Kindly answer the question above for more insight!! Thanks.
Expensive, nice weather but last year was
cold, cold never in my 12 years so cold for so long. Traffic brutal, Publix
clean to buy food and costly also. Work the pay is not good and work is
hard to get. New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel are neat and they are working hard on roads here. All in All not so bad to live here!
However, pay is low and jobs not easy to get.

Last edited by maggiekate; 09-18-2010 at 12:35 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 03:29 AM

161 posts, read 450,350 times
1. Sprawl, even our city centers are mostly unattractive and do not extend beyond a handful of blocks
2. The People, though we have a fair share of good community oriented people, many people have the "I'll lie to get my piece of the pie... oh and you're too", plenty of people at all levels act as if they support their community, but in no way do so
3. Lack of Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies, speaks for itself
4. Chains, though we do have some great local places, the far majority of places to go in this metro are chain-based big boxing
5. Culture, we get very little on the intellectual and art side... and no, i dont find the silly art shops in st. pete to be impressive by any stretch of the imagination

Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
My apartment in New Tampa costs me 1000+ with utilities, compared to if I was to move back home it would be 605 for a two bedroom townhome including utilities. It all depends on where in Tampa you live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
650-700 is going to limit you horribly if you want a nice area. I currently pay 671 in Hunters Green.

filler

Old 09-18-2010, 05:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Extreme summer heat (personal problem)
Lots and lots of traffic
No beaches
Downtown closes at 5pm
Very spread out city, like one big soulless suburb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay