U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:48 PM

149 posts, read 231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
there are 50 states, therefore the top 10 states would be the "top 20%"

I would crack some more jokes, but it is 5:22, the hour is 22% over and I am running late!
That's all you got? Post some more crack test results to back up your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 AM

9,084 posts, read 8,493,967 times
What's wrong with Tampa? I'm so bored of these sunsets.

http://artwall.us/scenic/tropical/images/sunset.jpg (broken link)

What's wrong with Tampa? Why can't we get some of this?

This place sucks.....

Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 AM

3,048 posts, read 2,107,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
What's wrong with Tampa? I'm so bored of these sunsets.

What's wrong with Tampa? Why can't we get some of this?

This place sucks.....
We did on Jan 18th 1977.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 AM

204 posts, read 525,335 times
This thread has been both informative and, at times, humourous. Here's my input, and some responses to prior.

1) Groceries. I haven't seen groceries as being THAT much more - I was in Mississippi for 4 years, then moved back here, and for the most part, things seem on par. In FL, there seems to be a produce stand on every corner - making produce AT LEAST half the price of MS prices - and usually prices are 1/3rd.

I've also fallen in love with ALDI. All/almost all of their products are generic/private label, but I haven't eaten anything that I didn't like. I've seen eggs for 79 cents and milk for 1.99 a gallon. Their chicken cordon bleus are $1 each (they are usually $2.50 in other grocery stores), and are SO good. We love the broccoli stuffed ones. If you haven't checked them out, I really encourage you to do so. They typically have long checkout lines on the weekend, though.

Along with this, gas seems to be *fairly similar* in price. When you get out in the boonies, gas is expensive, but I've found it to be on par with MS costs (which may be high, too?) around the city.

Meat prices seem high across the board. At most grocery store (Winn Dixie, Sweetbay, Publix), I've found that chicken breasts tend to be $4-$5 a pound! Sometimes they'll go on sale for half that, but daaaang. Do people pay those prices?

2) Driving. Yes, this is bad. This is horrible bad. For a couple of months, when we lived in Zephyrhills, we were driving to Clearwater (1.5 hours) to drop my husband off, and then I was going to Town and Country (45-60 mins) to work. That's a commute of around 5 hours daily, and sometimes closer to 6. This was made bad by traffic - without the traffic, we could have managed it in half the time.

I275 seems to get seriously congested at I4, and stay congested until Dale Mabry - once you pass that road, it clears up. But until then, it's stop and go. SO ANNOYING! And then drivers will try to move from one lane to the next, to get there quicker - I always have to laugh when they end up taking longer because of it, like the scene out of Office Space.

I've had someone cross over three lanes, from the far right to the far left (mine), jump right in front of me, causing me to swerve to avoid being hit. Do drivers not look where they are going? I've had people cross over in front of me to get onto an onramp - again, making me swerve to avoid an accident. Pay attention to where you are going, people, and make sure you are in the correct line before you get there!

3) Car Registration - HOLY HECK YES. I discovered my license expired on my birthday, so I had to get Florida license. My husband went ahead and got his on the same day. It cost us $108 for both licenses - more than twice what we would have paid in MS.

At the same time, we were told we had 30 days to register the car in Florida - the cost for that would be at least $420. o.O.o.O!!

4) Bugs. Maybe this isn't widespread, but we just moved into an apartment a couple of weeks ago, that we soon discovered was INFESTED with roaches. Mostly the german ones - yuuuuuck!!! I've been spraying the heck out of the house with a spray called "Bengal brand roach spray" and it really seems to be working wonders. So, hopefully that problem will be gone soon.

I'm accustomed to seeing a large roach (water bug?) every few months, but this is just.... wow. Bad!

When I was around 10, my sister and I were playing vollyball outside in San Antonio, FL, and a german cockroach flew into her ear. Mom had to take her to the ER to get it out.

5.) Electricity costs. These are definitely higher in Florida (Tampa?) than they were in MS. There, I could have the AC running throughout the day, and still pay around $80 a month. Here, our first bill was $100 (plus the connection fee), and that was only for 20 days, not the month. AND, we have only had the AC on for about 5 minutes a day - we otherwise rely on fans. I've seen people that spend $400 or so a month in electricity. That's insane!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacara View Post
This thread has been both informative and, at times, humourous. Here's my input, and some responses to prior.

1) Groceries. I haven't seen groceries as being THAT much more - I was in Mississippi for 4 years, then moved back here, and for the most part, things seem on par. In FL, there seems to be a produce stand on every corner - making produce AT LEAST half the price of MS prices - and usually prices are 1/3rd.

I've also fallen in love with ALDI. All/almost all of their products are generic/private label, but I haven't eaten anything that I didn't like. I've seen eggs for 79 cents and milk for 1.99 a gallon. Their chicken cordon bleus are $1 each (they are usually $2.50 in other grocery stores), and are SO good. We love the broccoli stuffed ones. If you haven't checked them out, I really encourage you to do so. They typically have long checkout lines on the weekend, though.

Along with this, gas seems to be *fairly similar* in price. When you get out in the boonies, gas is expensive, but I've found it to be on par with MS costs (which may be high, too?) around the city.

Meat prices seem high across the board. At most grocery store (Winn Dixie, Sweetbay, Publix), I've found that chicken breasts tend to be $4-$5 a pound! Sometimes they'll go on sale for half that, but daaaang. Do people pay those prices?

2) Driving. Yes, this is bad. This is horrible bad. For a couple of months, when we lived in Zephyrhills, we were driving to Clearwater (1.5 hours) to drop my husband off, and then I was going to Town and Country (45-60 mins) to work. That's a commute of around 5 hours daily, and sometimes closer to 6. This was made bad by traffic - without the traffic, we could have managed it in half the time.

I275 seems to get seriously congested at I4, and stay congested until Dale Mabry - once you pass that road, it clears up. But until then, it's stop and go. SO ANNOYING! And then drivers will try to move from one lane to the next, to get there quicker - I always have to laugh when they end up taking longer because of it, like the scene out of Office Space.

I've had someone cross over three lanes, from the far right to the far left (mine), jump right in front of me, causing me to swerve to avoid being hit. Do drivers not look where they are going? I've had people cross over in front of me to get onto an onramp - again, making me swerve to avoid an accident. Pay attention to where you are going, people, and make sure you are in the correct line before you get there!

3) Car Registration - HOLY HECK YES. I discovered my license expired on my birthday, so I had to get Florida license. My husband went ahead and got his on the same day. It cost us $108 for both licenses - more than twice what we would have paid in MS.

At the same time, we were told we had 30 days to register the car in Florida - the cost for that would be at least $420. o.O.o.O!!

4) Bugs. Maybe this isn't widespread, but we just moved into an apartment a couple of weeks ago, that we soon discovered was INFESTED with roaches. Mostly the german ones - yuuuuuck!!! I've been spraying the heck out of the house with a spray called "Bengal brand roach spray" and it really seems to be working wonders. So, hopefully that problem will be gone soon.

I'm accustomed to seeing a large roach (water bug?) every few months, but this is just.... wow. Bad!

When I was around 10, my sister and I were playing vollyball outside in San Antonio, FL, and a german cockroach flew into her ear. Mom had to take her to the ER to get it out.

5.) Electricity costs. These are definitely higher in Florida (Tampa?) than they were in MS. There, I could have the AC running throughout the day, and still pay around $80 a month. Here, our first bill was $100 (plus the connection fee), and that was only for 20 days, not the month. AND, we have only had the AC on for about 5 minutes a day - we otherwise rely on fans. I've seen people that spend $400 or so a month in electricity. That's insane!
First of all it was not a german roach as they are very small and don't fly, and why would anyone go to the ER to get a roach out of their hair?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 AM

204 posts, read 525,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
First of all it was not a german roach as they are very small and don't fly, and why would anyone go to the ER to get a roach out of their hair?
It wasn't her hair. It flew *inside her ear*, as my post said.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 AM

6,992 posts, read 4,082,285 times
Why do you have the need to drive aggressively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Im from long island... I am an aggressive driver. all of my friends down here from the northeast, primarily NY drive fairly aggressive. My friends from FL and transplants from the midwest arent that bad.

Florida DOES NOT have some of the worst drivers in the entire country if we are doing this by state. From south to north, DC/Maryland/VA, NJ, NY, Eastern PA, GA, all have worse drivers. only place I have lived with better drivers is TX and SC.

After I typed this- I checked real stats. FL is #10. some of the places i listed above were actually worse then florida, as i said they would be.

1. (WORST) New York - 70.0
2. New Jersey - 70.5
3. Dist. of Columbia - 71.9
4. California - 73.3
5. Rhode Island - 73.8
6. Louisiana - 74.1
7. West Virginia - 74.8
7. Hawaii - 74.8
9. New Hampshire - 74.9
9. Kentucky - 74.9
10. Florida - 75.2[LEFT]
See full article from WalletPop: Worst drivers in America by state (http://srph.it/ahqOZM - broken link)
[/LEFT]

Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why do you have the need to drive aggressively?
The reason i have to drive like a mad man is thanks to people going well over the speed limit. I can be doing 10 over and still get passed like i am standing still. Glad i have a modded 500+HP C6 Vette and i can leave anyone in the dust if need be.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:28 PM

598 posts, read 897,724 times
I hate Negative and Pessimistic threads like this.

The OP must be a fatalist in that they are only focusing on the negative aspects of the Tampa area.

Why not focus on the Positive? Who cares about the negative. There is just so much of that in the world.

Just embrace everything that is good with Tampa or Houston or North Carolina and you'll be just fine.

If you look for the negative, you'll find it!!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 12:35 PM

9,824 posts, read 15,296,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I hate Negative and Pessimistic threads like this.

The OP must be a fatalist in that they are only focusing on the negative aspects of the Tampa area.

Why not focus on the Positive? Who cares about the negative. There is just so much of that in the world.

Just embrace everything that is good with Tampa or Houston or North Carolina and you'll be just fine.

If you look for the negative, you'll find it!!!!
Thank you - reps to you! I thought this thread was pretty ridiculous and pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay